• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wore my gardeners for 2 months straight. **** got wild. Best all around black boots I've ever had.

20201226_110204.jpg

Liam0062

Reaction score
Wore my gardeners for 2 months straight. **** got wild. Best all around black boots I've ever had.

View attachment 1525987
I am considering getting the Gardener or the Lachlan.

I live in Buffalo, New York and plan to wear them in the winter. I don’t want to ruin my new Black Comfort Craftsman’s (which are awesome). We usually have about 5 months of snow, rain or slush. Do i go with the Greasy kip or Vesta leather? I am leaning toward the Lachlan due to the chisel toe, but am more concerned about which leather would work best.

Comments on which would be a better choice are appreciated.

menacinghat

Reaction score
Are Comfort Craftsman less roomy than regular craftsman? I'm guessing the insole might make me need to go up half a size?

Does anyone know if the London stores stock narrow sizes?

Crafty Cumbrian

Master Builder
Reaction score
Are Comfort Craftsman less roomy than regular craftsman? I'm guessing the insole might make me need to go up half a size?

Does anyone know if the London stores stock narrow sizes?

I find that you’re better off looking at a H fit as opposed to half up. I can wear same size in comfort and classic but can wear thicker socks in the classic than comfort. Also have H fitting comforts for the occasion I want to wear thicker socks.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having a huge dilemma deciding between the Gardener and the Turnout. I tried on the Craftsman and didn't like that it's quite narrow (I need a 8H) and also more formal looking so I tried on the Gardener at 8G and it was perfect fit with the right combination of casual and dressy.

However, I also found a Turnout on sale for quite cheaper than the Gardener for the same size 8G. So I'm wondering if the Turnout fits the same as the Gardener (aka wider than the Craftsman). I know the Turnout is just a round toe version of the Craftsman so I'm afraid of the width problem.

lsxscoob

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm having a huge dilemma deciding between the Gardener and the Turnout. I tried on the Craftsman and didn't like that it's quite narrow (I need a 8H) and also more formal looking so I tried on the Gardener at 8G and it was perfect fit with the right combination of casual and dressy.

However, I also found a Turnout on sale for quite cheaper than the Gardener for the same size 8G. So I'm wondering if the Turnout fits the same as the Gardener (aka wider than the Craftsman). I know the Turnout is just a round toe version of the Craftsman so I'm afraid of the width problem.

So the H for you wasn't wide enough? They do go a bit wider still. Also, if you needed to (not sure where you live) but you could pay the extra $100 to go full custom for sizing and elastic, etc.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the H for you wasn't wide enough? They do go a bit wider still. Also, if you needed to (not sure where you live) but you could pay the extra $100 to go full custom for sizing and elastic, etc.

So my comfortable sizes after trying on are:

Comfort Craftsman: 8H
Gardener: 8G

I'm in Canada and they are rather very expensive with no discount, around 600 CAD a pair. Howevever, I found a suede pair of Comfort Turnout from overseas on sale but it's only in 8G. Now I'm wondering if the Comfort Turnout fits more similarly to the CC or the Gardener as I'm thinking of pulling the trigger if the Comfort Turnout is closer to the Gardener.

I heard comfort sole gives less room and also, the gardener is unlined so that's maybe why.

lsxscoob

Reaction score
So my comfortable sizes after trying on are:

Comfort Craftsman: 8H
Gardener: 8G

I'm in Canada and they are rather very expensive with no discount, around 600 CAD a pair. Howevever, I found a suede pair of Comfort Turnout from overseas on sale but it's only in 8G. Now I'm wondering if the Comfort Turnout fits more similarly to the CC or the Gardener as I'm thinking of pulling the trigger if the Comfort Turnout is closer to the Gardener.

I heard comfort sole gives less room and also, the gardener is unlined so that's maybe why.

600 CAD is pretty much what we pay here in AUS without a discount. As for the Turnout vs Craftsmen, (I could be wrong) but I think the only difference is the rounded vs chiselled toe. From a "formal" look standpoint, it would probably go Craftsmen -> Turnout -> Gardener. I would look for another brand available to you in Canada that fits your width and get a dressier version over getting something for a brand but is more "working" boot styled.

Have you looked at clarks, cole haan, brando, common projects, or Thursday boots at all? (Not sure if any of these are available in your area).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads