• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purpletiesto

Reaction score
That's why you should buy from the factory during eofy sales. Awesome deals and perfect boots if you pick the right pair.

SpeedBird

Reaction score

That's why you should buy from the factory during eofy sales. Awesome deals and perfect boots if you pick the right pair.

That's good if you live in Adelaide, South Australia and can be at the door at daylight when they have sales on, but for the rest of us we buy when needed.

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
Anyone know much about Baxter boots, or have a low down on what they offer? Hard to get solid information on the differences between models. Probably the wrong place for it, but I figure that some of you that frequent this thread are likely to know. Thanks.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bootsonline are probably the best place to buy from at $350 incl. GST.

Retail RMWs are only decent if you can pick up something decent with them - last time I got a kangaroo trifold wallet.

Silent Speaker

Reaction score

Anyone know much about Baxter boots, or have a low down on what they offer? Hard to get solid information on the differences between models. Probably the wrong place for it, but I figure that some of you that frequent this thread are likely to know. Thanks.

There are three models of theirs which would be of interest if your are looking at this thread:
The Horseman, The Saddler, and the Henry Baxter.
The latter two are virtually identical models (same build, same last etc.) except one has a rubber sole, and the other (HB) has a leather sole.
The Horseman is a cheaper model and that is reflected in its construction: it's not that wholecut chelsea boot that folks the world over look to Aussie makers for when it comes to such things.

The two premium models only come in dark brown and dark black, whereas the horseman has a lighter brown model (similar to RMW dark tan) that I find much more interesting.

My opinion:
I own a pair of the dark brown henry baxter's (so, leather sole).
They are fine enough boots*, but if you're in Australia, they are only about $90 cheaper than RM's when bought from the commonly mentioned retailers in this thread. Since it's a squarish toe, it should be compared with the craftsman model.
The leather is not as fine as RM's standard yearling, nor is the toe shape which IMO is not as elegant as the the RMW craftsman last. My pair are (eventually became*) quite comfortable.

The footbed is "naked", for lack of the proper terminology (on the insole, the nail heads that hold the heel are visible, and so is a stitch that runs throughout the boot - but I do not believe that they're blake or blake/rapid, so I have no idea what that is), and it is covered with a supplied insert insole which was comfortable enough - some sort of poron material, but I eventually lost it or threw it out when it finally "expired".

All in all a fine, less expensive alternative to RMW's when it comes to Australian made, whole cut chelsea boots (especially since Harold's slow demise).
The three aforementioned models are all still Australian made, most of Baxter's other boots are not (and are mostly work boots anyway).

One point against their construction is that they are only 1/4 lined in leather, which only comprises of the heel, the rest of the boot being linen or some other cloth material. You can research the various pros and cons of such a lining as you will, but in my experience this cloth lining has not withstood wear as well as a typical leather lining. I believe that Baxter once fully leather lined these boots, but this has changed in recent years as a supposed cost cutting measure (cobbler's anecdote). I believe another member here, TheWraith, has one of the older, fully leather lined models.

*My experience:
With the pair I received, the left boot was fine. The same cannot be said of the right boot and though the little spiel on the box declared otherwise ("every boot is stringently checked!" or somesuch), it certainly did not undergo a proper QC overview. There was a very noticeable to the naked eye (extremely noticeable when one put the boot on!) bump, or a kind of 'fold over' of excess leather - some fault in the stitching of the back leather lining. This fold dug most uncomfortable into the back of my achilles tendon. The leather uppers also did not sit properly over the sole as it did on the left boot (and in fact, all my boots in this style) resulting in an unsightly crease on the side of the arch that would no doubt be considered unacceptable by the discerning standards of the denizens of this forum. I was then a less discerning student, and was more bothered by that bump that made the boot unwearable than to any aesthetic concerns

So, left boot was made correctly and was fine and dandy, but something very wrong occurred with the production of the right. I contacted the seller who said they would contact baxter concerning the issue - if they saw that it was faulty (I certainly didn't need them to tell me that!), then the seller would replace the pair free of charge. Well over a month later I finally did receive word to send them back to the seller, who apologised and mentioned that Baxter were usually much more prompt - though my own luck with getting a response from them on resoling matters has been rather fruitless, so I personally cannot attest to this promptness.

Unfortunately, by then I had left the country and was doing my best to flatten the offending heel-lump enough so that the right boot was no longer painful to wear using shoe trees. Eventually these efforts were successful enough that I could wear the boots without too much discomfort and 4 years later the bump but a half forgotten, painful memory and the boots are very comfortable.

Though I've become fond enough of the boots (and that as more to do with the experiences had whilst wearing them) I cannot see myself ever buying another pair from this brand (and from that seller) as the experiences I had has kind of soured me to them, and this thought is reinforced whenever I look at the offending right boot and notice its odd vamp crease. That one can get for $10 less than a pair of new HB's or Saddlers, a pair of structurally sound and guaranteed RM's from a DFO (with perhaps a nick here or there, something purely cosmetic, or even with no visible fault at all as far as I've managed to discern in some instances) means that I'm unlikely to do so again, at least, as long as I'm in Australia with access to such things as DFO's. As for full price (full as in retailer, not full as in RMW store) RM's vs Baxter's premium offerings, I would probably say that you get what you pay for and to save up for the RM's if that's what you really want.

However, I'll remind that mine is but one experience, so take it into your calculus as you will.

But, at least Baxter still has models made in Australia (how much of each boot is actually made thusly I do not know, but will give them the benefit of the doubt), a rarity in itself, and currently I'm chasing after some older Aussie made Harolds to see how they hold up in the greater scheme of things (it's a damn shame what happened to that company).

Hope this helps in some way.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a pair of Henry Baxter Classic boots for 5 years now. Wear them often, still have not polished them once. The leather is of a very good quality, the boots still look new (ish). Fits like a glove, extremely comfortable, the best boots I've ever had. Made entirely in their factory in Goulburn, NSW. Doesn't get much better IMO.

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
Mate that was awesome, thank you so much. I think I will have to try a retailer then so I can get a proper look and feel for the boot. I only want them just as a sort of kick-about sort of thing to wear to gigs and parties and such. How do yours currently look? Any photos? What happened to Harold's boots?

havingaraveup

Reaction score
I have a sort of general bat signal question to all RM wearers. I've been wearing mine since september, roughly 2 times a week, and there are occasional nicks and dings on the leather that I don't really notice on other shoes. I have black, yearling macquaries. I've also babied my shoes with conditioner, saphir, and trees.

My question is: How durable are RMs, and especially in yearling leather. Are they going to get ruined after mud or rain, or will the leather tear if I wear them around too much or in bad conditions. Basically, can they be treated like red wings? Any comments on durability of red wings would be great, esp from people who wear them hard.

DesmondD

Reaction score
I have RW Iron Rangers and they are some seriously tough boots that would stand a lot of punishment. The leather is super thick and feels indestructible.

I also have some RMs (Turnout in Rum yearling leather) that are a different beast altogether - leather is soft and supple and they feel superb on the foot. I've been wearing them pretty hard - festivals etc - and they're going great guns so far.
I don't think the RMs will let you down if they're well cared for.

titsmcgee852

Reaction score
I've had a pair of Henry Baxter Classic boots for 5 years now. Wear them often, still have not polished them once. The leather is of a very good quality, the boots still look new (ish). Fits like a glove, extremely comfortable, the best boots I've ever had. Made entirely in their factory in Goulburn, NSW. Doesn't get much better IMO.
Forgot to ask, you got any photos?

MrZBrown

Reaction score
Just ordered a "forum special" in chestnut yearling. Worked with Barry at BootsOnline. Great experience, he really helped guide me to my choice. I think if I love these ones, I will order a craftsman in kangaroo for more kick arounds. I chose the chestnut/yearling because I will be mainly wearing these for work with slacks but I work in the industrial industry so having a little tougher leather than the veal was a goal as well as a dressier leather than the roo.
Once they arrive I will put up pics!

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Forgot to ask, you got any photos?

I do, but they're not new photos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads