• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLPL suits compared to competition?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does RLPL compare in quality to competition from Zegna, Oxxford, Belvest or Isaia? I know that they are more expensive (practically Brioni prices), but I also know some of that has to be a markup due to the label.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When they were made by St. Andrews, it was superb quality.

I think you can definitely compare it to Brioni, Kiton, Isaia and more.

I don't know who actually manufactures them now, I heard Caruso makes them, but I don't know how they construct the suit.

Longmorn

Reaction score
I've been told by an RL rep that there was a separate area and manufacturing line for RLPL within the Caruso factory. I think the general consensus was that the Caruso RLPL was better than the company's other lines, but not as good as St. Andrews RLPL.

However, the same rep told me that RLPL is reverting to St. Andrew's for F/W 2013, so back to it's previous superlative quality. I own some St. Andrews RLPL and it's outstanding.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

How does RLPL compare in quality to competition from Zegna, Oxxford, Belvest or Isaia? I know that they are more expensive (practically Brioni prices), but I also know some of that has to be a markup due to the label.

All those makers are excellent, so which one you choose should come down to the styling, and not minute differences in quality.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to look at some today and was told that they have gone back to St. Andrews. However one thing I noticed was that the front tab closure on the trousers is identical to the Caruso RLBL (interior button, two exterior hook/bar closures; rare to see double H/B). Also, the side tabs were identical. Obviously this means next to nothing, as RL designs the suits, but struck me as interesting.

Custom Fit fit me very well, with few mods likely needed to stock pattern. However I'm not 100% sure the quality justifies the price over the others I was looking at (Zegna, Oxxford, Belvest, Isaia).

Longmorn

Reaction score
I own Zegna mainline, Zegna MTM, and RL Purple Label made by Saint Andrews. In my opinion, the Saint Andrews stands head and shoulders above the Zegna. I've never been all that impressed by Isaia, but neither have I inspected it systematically. I can't really comment on Oxxford or Belvest, having only ever given them a cursory look. However, all these makers are well regarded, and as Ivar suggested the differences in quality shouldn't outweigh your own judgment about the one you like best.

That said, if you're considering RLPL at full retail and you're willing to invest the time and effort*, you might be better off with bespoke.

*(please do not disregard the caveat - my own relatively new experience with bespoke has been excellent but definitely involved a learning curve).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I own Zegna mainline, Zegna MTM, and RL Purple Label made by Saint Andrews. In my opinion, the Saint Andrews stands head and shoulders above the Zegna. I've never been all that impressed by Isaia, but neither have I inspected it systematically. I can't really comment on Oxxford or Belvest, having only ever given them a cursory look. However, all these makers are well regarded, and as Ivar suggested the differences in quality shouldn't outweigh your own judgment about the one you like best. 

That said, if you're considering RLPL at full retail and you're willing to invest the time and effort*, you might be better off with bespoke.

*(please do not disregard the caveat - my own relatively new experience with bespoke has been excellent but definitely involved a learning curve).

No bespoke for me on this; I'm easy enough to fit OTR even that at least the first couple times bespoke is likely to come out less well than MTM. So we're talking at least $10k worth of "learning" which is way too much for me.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

How can one tell the difference between the St. Andrew's and Caruso RLPL?

Caruso has a very distinctive pick stitching that attaches the lining.

Or you could check the content tag. St. Andrew's will be more square and sewn on completely, while Caruso's tag will be more rectangular & glossy and only sewn from the top of the label. Check the labels thread.

To OP-

I've never been disappointed with RLPL quality in suits/sc. They may be priced higher than competition, or even from the company that made it, but so are Tom Ford Zegna suits--you're paying for the design/cut/fit...the name.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own one St. Andrews made RLPL suit, and some Oxxford. I like them both, and it's had to distinguish what's "best". I will however say, I like the RLPL fabric better than Oxxfords stock fabric.

My only gripe with RLPL RTW is that they tend to run a bit wide over the shoulders, compared to many of their competitors in the same price class. So if you have a bit narrow shoulders, it can be tricky to find a good fitting RLPL suit/coat.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK2024