• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RLBL Suit Price

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How come? I think there are certain sport coats which go best with a plain black trouser, such as those with shades of grey and black that are too busy to be worn with anything but a plain trouser and wouldn't stand out against anything but black. And of course for a less formal environment I could see throwing them on with a sweater every so often.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How so? I hate these stupid rules,

Traditionally men left black for their evening wear. Im not a fan of these rules either however with a black suit it does make sense because if you just try on a bunch of ****/tie/shoe combos in a store with a black suit it does not look as visually pleasing as midnight navy or dark charcoal.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RLPL can go down to $800s in stores, lower at outlets. And the fabrics used at PL is much better than BL. 

But I don't know any brand with stronger shoulder padding than BL or PL. 

I think PL has a much softer shoulder than BL, but this is just from personal experience with ones i got to try on, might have been a special model or what not..

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think PL has a much softer shoulder than BL, but this is just from personal experience with ones i got to try on, might have been a special model or what not..

It's not really about softness. They both have structured, roped shoulders. However, Black Label tends to have more structure and extension than purple label. They're both nice shoulders.

Here's a picture for comparison. However, these are almost identical.

This is a purple label sport coat made by Caruso (however, this is not a typical Purple Label shoulder):

900x600px-LL-4e451322_RLPL.jpeg

This is a black label sport coat made by Caruso:

900x600px-LL-d2669ac6_velvet4s.jpeg

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason, in my opinion, that the BL suits appear to have a stronger shoulder is the increased waist suppression on those suits. The more pronounced "V" silhouette will make the shoulder appear stronger. If one has the waist area of a PL jacket taken in to BL standards I would imagine you'd get a similar affect.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not really about softness. They both have structured, roped shoulders. However, Black Label tends to have more structure and extension than purple label. They're both nice shoulders.
Here's a picture for comparison. However, these are almost identical.

What about the PL made by St. Andrews?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What about the PL made by St. Andrews?

They're now all made by Caruso, but I think they had (under St. Andrews) and currently have less structure as I believe most of the Caruso made purple label suits are very similar to the St. Andrews ones. I have one of the less structured purple label sport coats (still needs to be tailored) but it's not with me right now. I'll check the shoulders and report back sometime soon (if I remember to :embar:). I think the one pictured above is an exception.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was not a big fan of the shoulders on the RLBL suit I had.

If you are patient, you will find the suit you want. I had to wait/look around for a couple of months, but I was able to get a recent Isaia base S solid navy suit for under $350 (pre-owned, but absolutely no signs of wear)

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're now all made by Caruso, but I think they had (under St. Andrews) and currently have less structure as I believe most of the Caruso made purple label suits are very similar to the St. Andrews ones. I have one of the less structured purple label sport coats (still needs to be tailored) but it's not with me right now. I'll check the shoulders and report back sometime soon (if I remember to :embar:). I think the one pictured above is an exception.

TBH if you asked me to guess which one was PL and which one was BL i would not be able to tell with the two you posted up. Btw im loving the pants in both of those outfits. The first one especially.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree staple color (navy) at $700 is good. Those don't last long at those prices. Anything else at that price is decent. If you are a 36 its a steal.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They also had a black shadow stripe but that looked even less versatile to me.

That's the one I was talking about. I liked it a lot more since it looked almost dark charcoal in some lights and at the very least didn't look like it was a half-baked tux or security guard's uniform.

cgurr

Reaction score
Security guard uniform is a little much no? lol It's a black peak lapel suit RLBL suit, yea it's pretty formal but it's not like there's no place to where it. Black shadow stripe looked too pimpish to me. If I'm getting pinstripe, which I'm not a big fan of anyway, it's going to be a single pinstripe that's not too gaudy. Everybody's got different tastes but I've got a charcoal suit and I'll definitely be attending some formalish events so it works for me.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Security guard uniform is a little much no? lol It's a black peak lapel suit RLBL suit, yea it's pretty formal but it's not like there's no place to where it. Black shadow stripe looked too pimpish to me. If I'm getting pinstripe, which I'm not a big fan of anyway, it's going to be a single pinstripe that's not too gaudy. Everybody's got different tastes but I've got a charcoal suit and I'll definitely be attending some formalish events so it works for me.

I saw the same suit (today, actually, when walking through the BH store) again and still think it looks just a little bit out of place for most things while the shadow stripe suit (which was also $100 less, IIRC) really looked like it could be worn for business since in some lights it really did look like a super dark grey. I certainly didn't think "pimp suit", though, since the pattern isn't the least gaudy as this isn't a pinstripe at all and the different shades blend quite nicely together rather than providing a pinstripe's sharp contrast. I also thought that the shadow stripe could probably be worn with a cognac shoe, light blue shirt and dark grey wool tie to make it look more daytime appropriate, while the black is really more of an evening item.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carwyn