• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva fabric: twill or poplin?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nothing is as delicate as people make it out to be. Not even super 180s wool.

I wouldn't necessarily doubt this. But on my last trip to Rome, I got a chance to see some Riva voile shirts in for repair at Battistoni. They didn't look like they held up too well. Of course, I have no idea how hard they were worn, but the sales associate made a point of warning me that voile pretty delicate. Correct or not, I was sufficiently dissuaded at the time.

Originally Posted by Freddy Vandecasteele
Voile is not more expencive than popeplin,
It is a different fabric
$500 for a shirt regardless of fabric is expensive
at least for me.
Freddy Vandecasteele

I'd pay the same for poplin as I would for voile with my shirtmaker. It's an issue of the relative durability, not sticker price.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I wouldn't necessarily doubt this. But on my last trip to Rome, I got a chance to see some Riva voile shirts in for repair at Battistoni. They didn't look like they held up too well. Of course, I have no idea how hard they were worn, but the sales associate made a point of warning me that voile pretty delicate. Correct or not, I was sufficiently dissuaded at the time.

I'd pay the same for poplin as I would for voile with my shirtmaker. It's an issue of the relative durability, not sticker price.

Embarrasingly enough, I could not tell you which of my shirts are made from which sorts of cottons. I can really only determine the big differences, not the little. I've not had any problems durability or heat wise, but I don't live in a hot climate, and I don't wear any shirt, other than chambray, all that often.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Embarrasingly enough, I could not tell you which of my shirts are made from which sorts of cottons. I can really only determine the big differences, not the little. I've not had any problems durability or heat wise, but I don't live in a hot climate, and I don't wear any shirt, other than chambray, all that often.

You would know voile if you had it. It is very light and sheer. I think it is the same thing as the cotton "lawn" used in handkerchiefs. I haven't found that it is any less durable, but as mentioned above, it is only worn a few months a year so it isn't knocked around as much.

Typical construction for Dege is to employ a double front in the body. I don't know if that is what vereyone else does as well. The sleeves will still be pretty much see-through.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've not had any problems durability or heat wise, but I don't live in a hot climate, and I don't wear any shirt, other than chambray, all that often.

Well, I suppose I could always try getting a lot more shirts.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Well, I suppose I could always try getting a lot more shirts.

Works for me, at least since I dropped Kabbaz.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I am admittedly financially restrained from building an army of 50+ Matuozzo shirts at this time. I'm looking into trying Mercer for OCBDs as a supplement since I most often wear my shirts casually anyway.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Works for me, at least since I dropped Kabbaz.
How do you stand sacrificing that level of quality?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
How do you stand sacrificing that level of quality?

Surprisingly managable.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surprisingly managable.
If you ask nicely, will he still sell you some of those special fabrics that he used for the pattern matching display?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you ask nicely, will he still sell you some of those special fabrics that he used for the pattern matching display?

Maybe, but the cloth alone will still cost as much as two Geneva shirts.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^^ I am admittedly financially restrained from building an army of 50+ Matuozzo shirts at this time. I'm looking into trying Mercer for OCBDs as a supplement since I most often wear my shirts casually anyway.

I switched almost entirely to non-bespoke for casual shirts, including weekends and sportcoat days at the office. Mostly Brooks Brothers and Press OCBDs and a few buttondown collar broadcloths. I have heard good things about Mercer, but am happy enough with the fit of these two and the convenience can't be beat.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Mercer are supposed to be really baggy.

I like the older BB OCBDs and thankfully still have several. They were maybe the only RTW shirt that fit me in the sleeve length. The bagginess is part of the charm, but the length is much too short for me, their only real drawback.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I switched almost entirely to non-bespoke for casual shirts, including weekends and sportcoat days at the office. Mostly Brooks Brothers and Press OCBDs and a few buttondown collar broadcloths. I have heard good things about Mercer, but am happy enough with the fit of these two and the convenience can't be beat.

I like this approach. I've never tried Press, but Brooks has never quite gotten it right for me. Mercer has the added advantage of being significantly less expensive as well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mercer are supposed to be really baggy.

I like the older BB OCBDs and thankfully still have several. They were maybe the only RTW shirt that fit me in the sleeve length. The bagginess is part of the charm, but the length is much too short for me, their only real drawback.

Well, Mercer can attach a larger collar to a smaller body size (in my case, a size 16 collar and size 14.5 body), then cut the sleeves to the right length. For a casual shirt, that's as much as I need--because, as you point out, the bagginess is part of the charm.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Just looking at the Mercer site. I should try them. Geneva seems allergic to Oxford cloth. They say they don't have it and can't get it. When I found some swatches in their office, they said the quality is bad, and waived me off.

Since these are causal shirts anyway, I suppose there is no point in paying bespoke prices.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads