• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridiculous looking slim fit suits

imanewbie

Reaction score
He mentioned shortness of the jacket, high buttoning point, low rise and skinny pants (which normally won't drape well even on a lean person). He seems to be talking about fashion forward suits, rather than slim fit suits, which are a different thing. And yes I think current fashion forward suits are a monstrosity and rarely look good on anyone...
its very rare it looks on the 'normal' person. I can get away with it vs most men my age can not do it. In fact most men ask me how I get in such shape.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate short jackets, it makes you look like wearing a girl's garment, With the rise of 'slim fit', no wonder why there are people who dress neither like a boy or a girl.

Over tightness is another bad trend going on, same with low waist trouser, these are bad female clothing design used in men's territory

p.s. models wearing 'slim fit' suits are often terrible, out of proportion.

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hahaha...no your missing the point its talking about slim period. Like I told the OP no one is making him wear slim clothing. Slim is for folks who are are leaner than normal folks out there. Being too short or too tight is subjective.

he is the typical poster who gets mad at folks who are the so called 'slim' clothing becuase he is mad he cant fit in them.

I think you're the one missing his point, though I do kinda get where you're coming from. 'Slim fit' is a bit of a vague term and it can, as you say, just mean a suit that is cut closer to the body which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself. I think the term has been bastardised by a lot of cheap brands though into meaning those horrible fashion-forward suits where the jacket is 3" too short and there's so much pulling at the button your whole front is a massive X, which I think is the sort of thing the OP is talking about. Those are universally terrible, regardless of who is wearing them.

Last edited:

StumpjumperE

Reaction score
So let's see what some of you are talking about-- Is this a ridiculous looking suit?

esq-01-suits-rules-0412-lg-67198880.jpg

Last edited:

StumpjumperE

Reaction score
I'd agree with you caustic man, except the pants do look a little snug in the upper thigh/crotch area to me.

imanewbie

Reaction score
3inch too short thats not slim...thats TOO small!!!!

Slim fit is not a vague term its a term thats loosley used by SF members only! Slim fit is contoured to the body and most fat/obese people do not look good in it. Heck even you have been criticized by SF members as being too wearing too tight clothing, but in my eyes you look great.

Slim fit is a term used how close the clothing is to the body not based on its 'ACTUAL SIZE' most folks here are confusing slim fit vs large, small, medium etc...

If you wear a large and you put on a medium clothing thats IS NOT SLIM FIT!!!! Thats not fitting PERIOD!

OP is like the rest of folks who come on this board and talk about slim. They come to rant and rave because they tried on something called 'SLIM' and it looked odd on them and they got pissed because the label said 'SLIM'.
I think you're the one missing his point, though I do kinda get where you're coming from. 'Slim fit' is a bit of a vague term and it can, as you say, just mean a suit that is cut closer to the body which is not necessarily a bad thing in itself. I think the term has been bastardised by a lot of cheap brands though into meaning those horrible fashion-forward suits where the jacket is 3" too short and there's so much pulling at the button your whole front is a massive X, which I think is the sort of thing the OP is talking about. Those are universally terrible, regardless of who is wearing them.

imanewbie

Reaction score
Yes but that has more to do with how it fits this particular guy than the suit itself being ridiculous.
EXACTLY!!!! now imagine a man who is same height roughly 6'1'' and weights 300lbs try this same suit on!!!! It will not look good on him at all in fact he will then search on google and end up at style forum and come upon SF and then rant about SLIM FIT clothing when in actuallity he just bought a suit TOO SMALL on him and has nothing to do with slim fit at all.

kulata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim fit is a rather broad term but like someone rightly pointed out, he meant fashion forward suits. But if you are built for those suits and they fit then it's all good. Not everyone can wear them and most people should not. The same can be said about the blousy suits recommended for some folks here bu,t keeping it simple. Wear what fits you.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many Style Forum members think that the "slim fit suit" looks ridiculous.
Jacket is to short, pants are too tight, and worn way to low .
The button point of the jacket is much to high.
There is nothing stylish about this monstrosity which has been foisted upon
Individuals who have absolutely no sense of classic men's style.
Men wearing this abomination are like an extremely fat woman wearing a
short skintight dress.
Looks absolutely horrible.
Feel sorry for you poor individuals who have absolutely no clue how to dress.

Agree they look dreadful, but being 'fashion' will generally only have a short life before something else - hideous or otherwise - takes its place. "Dedicated followers of fashion" as the song went!

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hahaha...no your missing the point its talking about slim period. Like I told the OP no one is making him wear slim clothing. Slim is for folks who are are leaner than normal folks out there. Being too short or too tight is subjective.

he is the typical poster who gets mad at folks who are the so called 'slim' clothing becuase he is mad he cant fit in them.

You are defending a person who is trying to fit into slim fit clothes when he cant.

One should just wear clothes that fit them not based on a SIZE!!!  Thats why I like to get MTM or bespoke when folks tell me what size I have on I tell them 'my size' since I cant tell them L, M, S, slim, roomy, etc....

you treat a pair of allen edmonds like they are a priceless sculpture, and you have bespoke clothing?

I'm calling massive BS

cppdude

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depends on the situation. I used to own a very small and slim fitting Hugo red label suit (I grew out of it)...guess what? It pulled chicks like nothing else in my wardrobe. Always got compliments on it.
These days I've gone more classic on the cuts, but yet fitting. No sack suits for me, ever...if you're athletic or on the skinny side, sack suits will look ridiculous on you. And to be honest, when you've worn skinnier suits for too long, even a normal "Classic" fit suit will look like a sack on you.

The shortness however, I do agree on. Too short jackets look bad, but so does too long jackets.

RLPL(and RLBL too, though a bit more fashion forward) seems like the perfect combination of classic and new. Lower button stance, classic width lapels, lightly padded shoulders, but yet decent waist suppression and trimmer cut everywhere.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member