• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ridiculous fashion trends

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I see a lot of younger gfolks wear tie and jeans, I believe the knitted ties and chino pants or jeans combination. But older folks such as I am have always worn the suit the way it's supposed to be worn.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I see a lot of younger gfolks wear tie and jeans, I believe the knitted ties and chino pants or jeans combination. But older folks such as I am have always worn the suit the way it's supposed to be worn.

Thanks for getting this thread back on track. I think knitted ties like these are the ugliest things you can put on next to strewn garbage: http://www.mrporter.com/product/188009

You're a man, not a teddy bear for christ's sake. And I applaud you for not looking like a tie and jeans wearing douche :)

Big T

Reaction score

straight guys wearing tight khaki shorts

A few years back, a trucking exec took me and two others to a baseball game. As our departure was upon conclusion of a work day, we were all somewhat dressed up. At our arrival at the stadium, the trucking guy jumped into the back seat, changed clothes, coming out with the tightest, shortest khaki shorts and skin tight muscle t-shirt.

For the rest of the evening the rest of us sidled away from trucking guy at every chance. Don't know or care about trucking guy's sexual orientation, but he sure did look ridiculous.

Ivar

Reaction score

God, hipster-ism is so easy (it's in the name, duh!): It's about being cool;

Exactly. People always overthink this, but it's really quite simple.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting this thread back on track. I think knitted ties like these are the ugliest things you can put on next to strewn garbage: http://www.mrporter.com/product/188009

You're a man, not a teddy bear for christ's sake. And I applaud you for not looking like a tie and jeans wearing douche :)

Do you realise quite how ignorant you sound?

dfetz3

Reaction score

Knitted ties are awesome, I actually have a navy blue knit tie like the one you pictured.

What is it about them that you don't like? Just because they're not as formal as a silk tie doesn't mean they're worthless.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Knitted ties are awesome, I actually have a navy blue knit tie like the one you pictured. 

What is it about them that you don't like? Just because they're not as formal as a silk tie doesn't mean they're worthless. 

+1. I love them. They're the perfect balance between casual and dressy. They're dressy with an element of fun and approachability.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think knitted ties like these are the ugliest things you can put on next to strewn garbage
No.

http://www.howardyount.com/collections/knit-ties/products/silk-knit-tie-pointed-medium-gray
http://www.kentwang.com/knit-burgundy.html#

Though I'll admit I dislike knit square end ties.

EDIT: I just noticed you put "like these" in your posting and then referred to a knit square end, so I withdraw my "no," though I still wouldn't go as far as to compare them to garbage ^_^

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You keep wearing those oversized sack suits and shiny silk ties, I am sure you are the most dapper fella at the nursing home
satisfied.gif

Last edited:

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm ridiculous then, because I was wearing ties and jeans pretty much all last week, and frankly I thought I pulled it off pretty well...

Forgive the hilariously messy dorm room- there are three people crammed into a space slightly smaller than your average prison cell, and things get messy very quickly around here.

CushyCouture

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You keep wearing those oversized sack suits and shiny silk ties, I am sure you are the most dapper fella at the nursing home
satisfied.gif

Hahaha I've hardly ever worn a suit in my life, I'm a software engineer whose style is casual/athletic. I'm probably younger than you too btw.

Ivar

Reaction score

I guess I'm ridiculous then, because I was wearing ties and jeans pretty much all last week, and frankly I thought I pulled it off pretty well... 

I regret to disagree. :lookaround:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads