• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Restaurant Recommendations

boso

Reaction score
Spending a month in Prague and a month in Tokyo this summer and looking for recommendations to eat. I don't have money for anything too expensive but hoping to find relatively inexpensive spots that are good. Recommendations? Staying around Shinjuku in Tokyo

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some tokyo recommendations - never been to prague.

Check out roncierge.blogspot.com ; there are a two pages I wrote about in tokyo.

I have a few recs in Shibuya that are not too pricey. Also a pizza place in Azabujuban that is the best I've ever had. It's super easy to get around on the train. Especially Shinjuku to Shibuya.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have some tokyo recommendations - never been to prague.

Check out roncierge.blogspot.com ; there are a two pages I wrote about in tokyo.

I have a few recs in Shibuya that are not too pricey. Also a pizza place in Azabujuban that is the best I've ever had. It's super easy to get around on the train. Especially Shinjuku to Shibuya.

Enjoyed poking around the blog. You should revive/update it!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Eric... I'm due for a post. I have stuff from Australia/New Zealand I should put up, and I'm working in NY again, so it's time for an NYC update.

I'll find some time in the near future. I needed the push - thanks!

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an actual restaurant recommendation - I ate at the Upsider in midtown east today.. I am typically nonplussed by the options in that area, but I found it a pleasant surprise...

Ate the pickled vegetables, fried chicken and grilled asparagus. Food prices were very reasonable - drinks were a little pricey but not absurd. I'll go back.

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in Stavanger, Norway and Paris in September, with a little over a week in between. I tried to get a Noma reservation, but no luck (if anyone has a lead on a seat at the shared table anytime around 9/11-12, I'd be ecstatic).

Intending to spend the week in between in the alps and southern France. You guys have any favorite restaurants in the region that might be worth planning a trip/excursion around? Cheers.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend was able to get a same day reservation at Noma (presumably because of a cancellation). Consider trying when you are there and maybe you'll get lucky.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only dined at Per Se once two years ago and it was ok. I prefer the French Laundry to Per Se.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
he's right about the price being sky high, though he doesn't make note of the biggest wallet pillage (the wine list). I ate there less than a year ago, and even in the dead of winter, it was still sensational and certainly what I'd hope for with 4 stars.

I can't tell if 2 stars represents a series of slips vs. immense expectations or if Pete Wells is kind of a "what's the deal with this guy" critic who likes taking the hammer to previously granted 4-star places (see: Daniel, i think Masa, now PerSe).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He's also the guy who wrote that Guy Fieri review. The one that was brutal, insulting, and exactly what food snobs want to read as entertainment (people who would never have eaten there anyways)...but not really a very good review of a restaurant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads