• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Refinishing Hardwood Floors

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
From what I can see, the walls look good.

frsandedws6.jpg

staineddinjz9.jpg

confused.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my own question to ask.

We've gotten 2 estimates, about the same price, to redo floors of the house we are buying.

One guy said that he would do 2 coats of resin based, the second, 3 coats of water based. Both guys come highly recommended, though the first comes *super* highly recommended. This in an area where people take their craftsmanship seriously (not their clothing though, unfortunately.) I've heard that the resin is more durable, has a nice, darker color, is thicker per coat. But that was one friend's opinion. I was wondering whether you guys could weigh in, either from experience or expertise, on this. I am a complete noob at this stuff, and everything I've read just confuses me.

Cheers,

Fok.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You have kids, so ask if they will do "bacca - glitsa." It smells like ****, and you have to move out for a day or two, but it wears like iron and is quite beautiful.

Lucky7

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I'm confused after reading some sites. Is the Oil-based Polyurethane the same as the resin based?

Fok.

I am pretty sure that resin based is what they are referring to as "oil based." Water based is sub-par, so I would totally write that off.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Make sure they give you enough coats. I've always found these guys take too long and they shortcut it by only skimping on the coats. If you've got kids and/or pets, you should have more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads