• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Redoing my entire wardrobe. $3-5k budget.

mirinjobra

Reaction score
Hello gents. I'm looking for some advice on what to focus on for my wardrobe. Since the pandemic, feel like my clothes have become stale/outdated.

I have no need for shoes/gloves/scarves, have a nice collection already. I am thinking the following, but need some suggestions. I'd say my style is understated (no visible labeling) but well fitted from good brands like what you'd find in Nordstrom (no designer) or places in Europe.

Warm Weather:
Short sleeve plain tshirts x5
Short sleeve plain polos x5
Short sleeve button downs x3
Linen button downs x4
Casual button downs x4
Chinos x4

Cold Weather:
Long sleeve plain tshirts x5
Long sleeve plain polos x5
Crewneck sweaters x5
Jeans x3
Patterned pants x3
Sweatpants x3

Am I missing anything? I'm not the type to wear blazers, and I plan on focusing on suits later. I'm 35 but get told I look mid to late twenties. I'm not sure if I should just forego plain tshirts at this point, as it does seem kind of basic and unflattering.

Looking for suggestions on what else to buy or what not to buy, and any decent brands to choose from that make it easy to return things that don't fit.

rjc149

Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with t-shirts (including graphic/logo t's) when they are worn ultra-casually, no reason to forgo them.

Banana Republic, J. Crew, and Brooks Brothers are good places to start building a more mature casual wardrobe without designer markups. Charles Tyrwhitt also has pretty decent up-casual stuff.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
One thing you didn't mention is sustainability. Given that these are items that you will probably end up replacing after a few years as they will become stretched/faded/out-of-shape it's worth looking away from the "fast fashion" brands listed above and towards either companies that use sustainable production methods or more expensive artisan brands that make products that will last longer or age better.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pretty much impossible to give you a good answer without an idea of what general look(s) you are going for. The individual pieces have to be coherent with one another. For example, slim jeans may not go well with a boxy T-shirt. Chinos can be quite dressy or can be quite casual or workwear-inspired. Putting a wardrobe together is not like checking off a grocery store list.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
pretty much impossible to give you a good answer without an idea of what general look(s) you are going for. The individual pieces have to be coherent with one another. For example, slim jeans may not go well with a boxy T-shirt. Chinos can be quite dressy or can be quite casual or workwear-inspired. Putting a wardrobe together is not like checking off a grocery store list.
I wish I had this advice drilled into me years back when I first started trying to dress casually like a grown-up rather than a teenager.
So much online advice back then was just along the lines of "start with chinos, OCBD shirts and chukka boots" without mentioning that it needs to be the right combo of shirt, shoes and trousers otherwise you are still going to look like a kid who doesn't really know what they are trying to achieve.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crewneck sweaters x5

Patterned pants x3
Sweatpants x3

Too many of those.
Also, too many plain t-shirts and plain polo shirts.

Patterned shirts are arguably a necessity. Buy a polo shirt with a contrasting collar, if you're open to that. Purchase a seersucker shirt. Missing are long-sleeved button-front shirts - plaids and checks go well there.
Get at least one v-neck sweater.
Buy a pair of corduroys, and try a henley. A military shirt and/or a camp shirt probably is worthwhile.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
Agree with above. Too many V-neck sweaters and pants.

Consider adding a shawl cardigan, some linen shirts for summer, and an OCBD or two.

Henley’s are good — if you are in shape. They are form-fitting, especially around the chest, and accentuate your figure. If you’ve got a bit of heft around the midsection and your chest isn’t defined, I would avoid them. A lot of guys wearing Henley shirts are putting on a nipple show.

aroman1

Reaction score
Hello gents. I'm looking for some advice on what to focus on for my wardrobe. Since the pandemic, feel like my clothes have become stale/outdated.

I have no need for shoes/gloves/scarves, have a nice collection already. I am thinking the following, but need some suggestions. I'd say my style is understated (no visible labeling) but well fitted from good brands like what you'd find in Nordstrom (no designer) or places in Europe.

Warm Weather:
Short sleeve plain tshirts x5
Short sleeve plain polos x5
Short sleeve button downs x3
Linen button downs x4
Casual button downs x4
Chinos x4

Cold Weather:
Long sleeve plain tshirts x5
Long sleeve plain polos x5
Crewneck sweaters x5
Jeans x3
Patterned pants x3
Sweatpants x3

Am I missing anything? I'm not the type to wear blazers, and I plan on focusing on suits later. I'm 35 but get told I look mid to late twenties. I'm not sure if I should just forego plain tshirts at this point, as it does seem kind of basic and unflattering.

Looking for suggestions on what else to buy or what not to buy, and any decent brands to choose from that make it easy to return things that don't fit.

I had to comment on this post because it is eerily similar to where I find myself. I too am 35 y/o can pass for a late twenty-something but want to elevate my clothing.

I'll try to keep this short - here has been my approach. For starters I avoided quantifying how many articles per category. I focused on uniqueness (I can easily spot Uniqlo / Amazon basics pants a mile away), quality (I'm committed to hand-washing if needed), and timelessness (can I see myself wearing this next year?). I also had no intention of paying full price. This is more important in controlling any impulse to buy something immediately only later to regret it.

I have an affinity for certain brands so the brands mentioned below were chosen intentionally. I monitored items on both ebay and e-commerce sites. Here is what I've purchased with a rough estimate of what I paid for each. Most came from ebay but I did purchase socks from MrPorter and Espadrilles from SSense. Not worth mentioning below.

- Berluti Playtime sneaker with navy patina (virtually new, a steal from ebay) $185

- Isaia t-shirt - white tee with graphic, $129

- Isaia bermuda shorts (magenta), $145

- Incotex - two of their flagship batavia chinos, pre worn but in excellent condition. I paid $80 in total for both. One brown the other slate grey. I also purchased bermuda linen shorts $50

- Brunello Cucinelli - orange graphic tee that feels more like a short sleeve cotton sweater. Very unique and it drapes beautifully. $198

- Brunello Cucinelli - black graphic tee. slim fit but traditional feel of a jersey t-shirt. $110

- Ralph Lauren Purple Label - Bermuda shorts in deep olive $180

- Luigi Borrelli - Bermuda shorts in navy - $140

- Boglioli - multiple pieces 1 blackish grey graphic logo tee $80, blue garment tee $150, cream shorts $150, khaki colored bermuda shorts $150

-Brioni - navy polo $120

- Paul Stuart - three pairs of easy care chinos in navy, khaki, and cream ($40 each), white poplin dress shirt ($110) and lavender dress shirt cotton cashmere ($80). Purchased during their clearance sale. This brand is underrated. The pants exceeded my expectations but I need to get them hemmed.

That's the extent of what I've purchased. Obviously more spring/summer. I will eventually shift to fall/winter items but i get so much use out of what I have now. The quality makes a significant difference - I would love to have 10 tees from brunello cucinelli. But I'm more satisfied with the two I have purchased than if I bought five Brooks Brothers or JCrew tees.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
I'm not the type to wear blazers,
Become one, you're 35.
As for folks saying you look mid 20s, what's the context in which someone says that, you asking them? Whatever, disregard, you're 35. Get some grown up duds. Forget about all those tees and short sleeve shirts. Get decent quality long-sleeve shirts, roll 'em up and press in place, (Marine style). Khakis too. Look crisp. You can wear cotton button-ups and khakis all the way from middle school up to your Supreme Court nomination. Cotton everything, well ironed. Throw in some linen, for the summer, tweed for the winter. Don't buy everything all at once. You've got plenty of time, you're only in your twenties. Make that 30s.

rjc149

Reaction score
I'm not the type to wear blazers
Become one, you're 35.
I will say that this is one of the slower transitions to make as a man leaves his youth behind in our increasingly casual, delayed-adulthood world. I'm in my late 30's myself, and I still haven't completely embraced sport coats for casual wear. I'm not averse to them by any means -- my office moved to mid-town Manhattan, and they seem to have been fully adopted by those who formerly wore suits, no longer wear neckties, but want to bring the jacket back to post-pandemic professional attire.

A good sport coat or two will eat into that $3K budget, too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads