• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Gentleman's Traveler

Louys

Reaction score
I grabbed a pair in cigar recently. I'm slightly surprised, a lot of the reviews I read had me mentally preparing myself for a long break in period. In actuality it hasn't been that bad. They were painful the first time and there're still stiff after a couple of wears but in my experience no worse then breaking in any other pair of shoes. Loving them so far.

Glorysends

Reaction score
Here's mine. Been wearing them everyday for work since the end of April. Bought a pair of them last year for winter and then loved the color so much I didn't want to wear them for work or ruin them. Ended up buying another pair for work and one pair for weekends. I love the color in person. Definitely a unique color. The new pair I haven't treated yet and the work ones i've only put creme on it once. First pic is of the first pair I bought that are for the weekends. haha

EPrest90

Reaction score
I grabbed a pair in cigar recently. I'm slightly surprised, a lot of the reviews I read had me mentally preparing myself for a long break in period. In actuality it hasn't been that bad. They were painful the first time and there're still stiff after a couple of wears but in my experience no worse then breaking in any other pair of shoes. Loving them so far.
I bought a pair of the Black Cherry moc toe a few months ago, and they were broken in after a weekend. Either that, or my feet don't feel much anymore(I almost exclusively wear boots) :) But great boots so far, really dig the moc toe look, I just bought the 8890 last night

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
Mine never hurt my feet. They were really stiff for a few wears, but still comfortable. I've been wearing about twice week since Christmas and they are still breaking in, but really comfortable now. Going up and down ladders in the recent heat sped things up too.

JjasonL

Reaction score
i have a pair of the 1907s that i really love. they were a bit tight and uncomfortable the first few wears but are broken in now.

thinking about buying the 875 sometime after the summer. are they too similar to my 1907 or should i just get a diff boot altogether?

red81

Reaction score
i have a pair of the 1907s that i really love. they were a bit tight and uncomfortable the first few wears but are broken in now.

thinking about buying the 875 sometime after the summer. are they too similar to my 1907 or should i just get a diff boot altogether?

different lasts, different insoles, different leather, different welt.

i had a pair of 875's for a couple weeks and have a pair of 877's and 1097's now. the 1907's are much more comfortable, the 877 (basically 8" version of 875) is not very comfortable. they do fine for an 8 hour day, but i've done as much as 24 hour days in 1907's with no discomfort.

pasteurisation

Reaction score
I was wearing my moc toe with traction tred cushion outsole yesterday at my work. I was moving heavy cabinets here and there and found my moc toe useless for physical work. Specially, traction tred outsole doesn't have grip at all on flat floor. I had hard time pushing them as I was slipping most of the time. Those soles are probably meant for other working condition, but I am disappointed.

Last edited:

red81

Reaction score
^

yeah, i believe those soles were meant for farm work and hunting originally, i.e. mud and dirt, not hard surfaces.

wanksy

Reaction score
Do you guys happen to know how to clean denim bleeding from your boots?

I have the 8111.

Last edited:

milw50717

Reaction score

Do you guys happen to know how to clean denim bleeding from your boots?
I have the 8111.

You may want to edit your post and remove all the non-text code in your post as it is otherwise invisible.

If the Indigo dye has got into the leather then it can be very difficult to remove. Try a leather cleaner, such as saddle soap. After using the cleaner apply a conditioner and then a polish as required.

wanksy

Reaction score
You may want to edit your post and remove all the non-text code in your post as it is otherwise invisible.

If the Indigo dye has got into the leather then it can be very difficult to remove. Try a leather cleaner, such as saddle soap. After using the cleaner apply a conditioner and then a polish as required.
Will try that. By doing this, will it alter the color of my boots?

milw50717

Reaction score

Will try that. By doing this, will it alter the color of my boots?

Hard to say. Saddle soap will generally remove dirt and once it dries the leather will look a little lighter, but applying a conditioner and/or some polish will help darken things back up.

Excessive rubbing can certainly affect the leather either by burning or wearing through the top layer. However, if the indigo dye is well into the leather, then it is hard to see how you can remove it without some rubbing.

Go gentle would be my advice, use a soft cloth and lots of saddle soap. Clean once, let dry and see how it looks. Repeat as required.

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

huabaen

Reaction score
is it a good idea to mink oil them before first wear? some people said itll help with the breaking in

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads