• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

ElBron21

Reaction score

Yes.

Agree, the leather laces are much nicer!

Yeah good choice of laces. I have those, it'll 2 years in August, and honestly they stay that same color really. Or at least the patina hasn't altered the color of mine, which I really like. And I'm hard on my boots but keep a strict regiment of once a month clean and oiling.
Those boots walk that fine line of work and dressy.
Now the muleskinner iron rangers, i think it's impossible to keep that honey color. Ive had mine for almost 4 years and they look completely different with that roughed out leather look almost completely turned smooth and dark. I don't mind bc I get a ton of compliments on them and it's nice to own a pair that you completely don't care about, if that makes sense..

ElBron21

Reaction score

See what i mean?

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This RAWR Denim article shows why Red Wing Heritage construction is better than competitor boots from Chippewa and Thorogood. When they cut the boots in half, check out the cork filling and real leather insole on the RW's whereas the Chippewa's cut corners with crappy synthetic foam core and synthetic insole:

http://www.rawrdenim.com/2015/06/red-wing-iron-ranger-best-entry-level-boot/
http://www.rawrdenim.com/2015/06/chippewa-service-boot-entry-level-boot-showdown/

Red Wing Iron Ranger:

Chippewa Original Service Boots:

Last edited:

BootGuy

Reaction score
Does anyone have photos of the round toe boots?

It looks like the shaft is shorter than the Beckmans but I can't find anything other than stock photos of them.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score

See what i mean?

Thanks, this is one of the most interesting pics of wear on the Muleskinners I have ever seen. Did you treat them with anything, or is this just the normal patina? The look similar to my M43 Roughouts after treating them with Snoseal.

ElBron21

Reaction score

Does anyone have photos of the round toe boots?

It looks like the shaft is shorter than the Beckmans but I can't find anything other than stock photos of them.

Which round toe boots, the blacksmiths?

ElBron21

Reaction score

Thanks, this is one of the most interesting pics of wear on the Muleskinners I have ever seen. Did you treat them with anything, or is this just the normal patina? The look similar to my M43 Roughouts after treating them with Snoseal.

I had just put bickmore no.4 on them before that pic (my favorite conditioner), so that wasn't the most accurate depiction. I'll post a up to date pic at the end of this, they're a bit lighter now that they've absorbed it. But, not that much difference. They continue to lighten up until I condition them again.
There's a history to this pair, it was my first pair of any nice leather I had owned. The roughed out suede look started to rub off and disappear on the toe and heel first just from normal wear n tear, giving way to a darker chestnut like color, then the rest followed. They just started to smooth out, for lack of better wording. The only parts that look like the original color is round the eyelets and tongue. But I should add i did not take care of them properly initially...I didn't know better.
I wore them every day, all day for about 2 years before I ordered a new, second pair of red wings . I went in the store and they were like, wtf you should've oiled these like 20x already. So they oiled them with their red wing pitch oil, which isn't the right kind for that type of leather so they darkened them more. I think that slightly added to the permanent change in color, but I didn't mind though, and since I've treated them with shinola mink oil and now bickmore no.4 to keep them healthy.
Also my irish wolfhound ate half of the right boot when she was a puppy, which is why I went in for the second pair. Jeans hide the damage, mostly, so I still rock them at work and to baseball games and like i said i get tons of compliments from these still. I think it's because of their aged look, and they do need a new sole badly. I just think I'll replace them with a brand new pair eventually instead of replacing the outsole on a half eaten boot...

There's my wolfhound, threw that in for ***** and grins. No longer a puppy, thank God..

ElBron21

Reaction score
That shmuck in the picture is a buddy of mine.
Here's a pic of the other boot.

Schnurretiger

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Very good to know for future purchases. Right now, I'm still in this phase of being a RW-owner:

But it's getting better. :nodding:

ElBron21

Reaction score
For some reason, luckily, red wings have never given me blisters or much discomfort. Even when they're in the break-in period. I read about people having problems often, and I have seen some buddies struggle with new pairs. Maybe its because a size 8D fits me perfect from the get go, that and quality socks but idk

ElBron21

Reaction score

These: It seems like in most photos I've seen of them the shaft of the boot is shorter than the Beckmans.
Perhaps.. It could just appear that way because those are shaped differently than the Beckmans, with a more gradual incline from cap to top of heel? I bet they are close to being a 6" boot if they aren't already. I have seen those in person and I don't remember noticing them being shorter than my Beckmans but don't quote me on that. They're a great color either way!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads