• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Red Wing Boots - Your Opinion

red81

Reaction score
Oh jeez, I don't think I have the patience to wear them for an entire year before I see a difference in comfort. I know it differs from person to person, but isn't one year a little too long for break in? I was expecting maybe a month or two of moderate usage.

I'm normally a 8.5-9 for running shoes and 8 for sneakers. I have the 8138s in a size 8, and I have a question about how it should fit. From what I'm reading, to get the most comfortable boots you have ever owned, your boots will need to fit perfectly. My question is, what is a good fit? I'm 5'6 @ 135lbs and I have normal feet, nothing wide or irregular. My size 8s aren't tight, aren't super loose, but I would put them on the looser side. There's room up front for my toes to wiggle, the sides are perfect, but I would say it's a little long. I tried a size 7.5 and it was an instant no because it was too tight in the middle and in the heel, so I decided the 8s would be the only option left.

My heels don't slip in the shoe, but if I hold the boot down, I could wiggle my foot to the top about 1/2 inch and back down. It also has enough room to put a Dr. Scholls gel insole on top, but that makes it a bit tight in the middle and makes my heel lift up when I walk. Is this normal? Should I opt for the 7.5s and stretch it out even though the first time I tried it on, it was automatic discomfort?

I guess I've been spoiled by tight fitting cushioned athletic shoes so this is something entirely different to me. I'm used to putting on shoes at the store and have little to no break in.
i made this mistake early on as well, as i wore sneakers and sneaker like boots all my life. as you and others have mentioned, make sure the shoe fits right away. it can be stiff and rough, but it should still fit properly. don't expect boots (especially something as heavily stitched and welted as red wing) to stretch too much.

red81

Reaction score
So just got my first pair of Red Wings 2260 this past Saturday. Well my 2nd one technically after I got one pair I thought I liked, but turned out they were 8" instead of the usual 6" that I had been getting with Timberlands. So had the 8" sit for a week before I could go make the exchange. I always have such trouble with boots/footwear and am so hesitant that I should have gotten these, but my Timberlands were constantly cracking and falling apart and then leaking. They are getting sent back after I break these new boots in. Maybe I'll get a replacement pair if they think they were faulty.
I wonder if I should have taken advantage of the fact the Red Wing store can scan your foot. Not sure exactly what it is for, I heard just for insoles.
In terms of sizing they actually put me in a 12 when I wear 13 in sneakers and a 13W in Timberlands. Guy didn't mention anything about width so hopefully the 12D I have is good and will stretch out some more.I actually went back a 2nd time to ask if I should get something in a width, because when I was stood up my foot almost seems like it fits more snug to the leather, almost like spills out so it is extended past the sole of the boot. If that makes sense. My left foot seems to fit pretty good, but the right I had to actually put on 3 pairs of socks when I was wearing them at home to get them a little looser. I think they might be ok, maybe just tough for me to get used to something new. I swear just wearing them and driving I notice my right foot feels like it's sunk down more in the heel. Almost seems unnatural how they feel, but it could be because I pivot my right foot to switch between brake and gas. I am probably just a complete nut job and these just need to break in more. Plus the right foot is the bigger foot so I'd imagine that one needs the most breaking in to get comfortable.

Anyways been wearing them the past 2 days to work. They seem comfortable but I guess they take some time to break in. I ended up with some rub marks on the tops of my big toe on each foot. Not sure if it's from the boots or the fact my socks are kind of worn out so they were rubbing my foot due to the fact they aren't as soft as when they were new. Hopefully it's not the boot.
I'm not sure if I made the mistake of getting insulated boots as well. I work in construction so could be inside or outside, plus if I'm shoveling snow I might wear them. But the point there is my feet get a little sweaty from wearing them. It's not soaked, but to the point you can see the pressure points on the foot get a little white, like pickled I guess you could say from being slightly damp. Not too thrilled about that. Can anyone suggest a good work sock. I am reading that wool is best because it lets the foot breathe more.

So basically on the fence about how I feel about these. Hopefully they break in and I can get a few years out of them. I paid good $ for them so they better last. If not then not sure what brand I'll have to try next.

make sure you read your boots return policy (not sure where you got them), and if you're on the fence at that period, just return them.

mws1984

Reaction score
Got them at a Red Wing dealer. There is a 30 day return policy for a comfort guarantee. So I will probably just take care of them as best I can(cause not sure what the deal is if they are used, but you can't really not wear them and know if they are going to be comfortable) Then see how they are in a couple of weeks, then decide what I want to do. If I do have to return them I'll definitely be taking advantage of their foot scanner and all that to see what the best option is for me. It could just be me being impatient and not realizing these are good quality and they need more break in time.

WiL11o6

Reaction score
Still breaking in my 8138s and I have another dumb question.

What exactly is heel slip? Is it when your foot slides from the front to the back when you walk or when your heel lifts up and back down not staying in full physical contact with the insole heel?

I notice when I walk, as I lift my foot, my heel lifts up from the heel insole, but not enough where I'm tripping all over the place. My heel does land in the same area of the insole every step (I think), it's just I guess this is where I get the "my boot is loose" feeling because my heel goes up a bit.

It this something that goes away over time? Because the balls of my foot kind of hurt and I'm wondering if it's because of the heel slip.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Still breaking in my 8138s and I have another dumb question.

What exactly is heel slip? Is it when your foot slides from the front to the back when you walk or when your heel lifts up and back down not staying in full physical contact with the insole heel?

I notice when I walk, as I lift my foot, my heel lifts up from the heel insole, but not enough where I'm tripping all over the place. My heel does land in the same area of the insole every step (I think), it's just I guess this is where I get the "my boot is loose" feeling because my heel goes up a bit.

It this something that goes away over time? Because the balls of my foot kind of hurt and I'm wondering if it's because of the heel slip.

Check out this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/t/171352/what-constitutes-heel-slippage/0_50

Triangles

Reaction score
Been doing research here and there (not enough research) and decided to go with Obenaufs leather oil. I dont know where I read it, but one person said it didnt darken as much as the LP. I wasnt going in the snow or rain so I decided on the oil. I coated my brand new RWs becsuse I wanted to treat it before it gets all dirty. To be honest, I think it darkened way too much. Went from medium brown to a one tone dark brown. Almost took the personality out of the original color.

i did test it on the tongue first and it looked okay, thats why I did the whole shoe. Is it going to lighten back up? can I speed up that process or did I just ruin the color permanently. I knew it was going to darken, but not this much. :-(

anrobit

Reaction score
Been doing research here and there (not enough research) and decided to go with Obenaufs leather oil. I dont know where I read it, but one person said it didnt darken as much as the LP. I wasnt going in the snow or rain so I decided on the oil. I coated my brand new RWs becsuse I wanted to treat it before it gets all dirty. To be honest, I think it darkened way too much. Went from medium brown to a one tone dark brown. Almost took the personality out of the original color.

i did test it on the tongue first and it looked okay, thats why I did the whole shoe. Is it going to lighten back up? can I speed up that process or did I just ruin the color permanently. I knew it was going to darken, but not this much. :-(
It will lighten, but most pure oils tend to darken, especially when overapplied. It sounds like you just applied a bit too much. I've found that coconut oil, when applied sparingly, does not darken

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
The oil darkens more in my opinion. It takes a pretty long time to lighten in my experience and will probably never lighten back all the way. I'm not using either on my new tan Beckman's for that reason. I'm using Allen Edmonds Cleaner/Conditioner on them for now.

Kerrick

Reaction score
Iron rangers in muleskinner arrived, AND fit like a glove :slayer:

Seeing the waxed flesh boots over in the Viberg thread has made me wonder if you could get the hawthorne or choc. muleskinner leather to look like that with the application of something really stiff like otter wax. Not that I'm considering doing it on brand new ones, though.

red81

Reaction score
does anyone know if the beckman line is possible in an e width? it's the same last i believe as the iron rangers, and mine are too narrow and after about a year of wear on and off aren't stretching. doesn't show as an option on red wing's site?

loug

Reaction score
does anyone know if the beckman line is possible in an e width? it's the same last i believe as the iron rangers, and mine are too narrow and after about a year of wear on and off aren't stretching. doesn't show as an option on red wing's site?

Never saw RW offer any of these in anything but D. You could fill a freezer bag with water, put this bag inside the boot and put into the freezer. The water will expand and stretch the boot. Could also take it to a shoe repair shop and see if it could be stretched. There are also shoe stretchers on Amazon.

Brooks

Reaction score

Seeing the waxed flesh boots over in the Viberg thread has made me wonder if you could get the hawthorne or choc. muleskinner leather to look like that with the application of something really stiff like otter wax. Not that I'm considering doing it on brand new ones, though.

That chocolate muleskinner would look great waxed like that!

AAJJLLPP

Reaction score

The process is called dubbing. Soldiers did it to their roughout boots in ww2. There is a guide here if you are interested http://90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/Dubbing/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads