• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations on Interview Suit < 500?

docgerrard

Reaction score
I'm leaning navy over charcoal. I'd honestly prefer the lightest shade of blue possible for an interview because navy looks too dark, but out of fear of looking unprofessional I also want to play it safe.

Thanks!

HughJ

Reaction score
You didn't mention what you are interviewing for, but Suit Supply gives you the most options of the 3. The Ludlow may be roughly the same quality as the lower end SS, but has very low rise trousers, wimpy lapels, and only comes in one cut if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't really consider Brooks vs SS, unless you were at least the 1818 mainline level, and even then.....fewer options/cuts, and an inflated price for what you get. Whichever you end up with, your instinct is correct to keep the colour conservative for this purpose. Best to branch out after you have your basics taken care of. Good luck with your interview.

dreamhope

Reaction score
buy something from eBay or the suit I'm selling (see link in my signature; it's a Canali with peak lapels and dual vents, much better than anything less than 1000)

You get much better deals buying slightly used than new. Don't waste your money on garbage. Once you get your job, start building your wardrobe with new suits if needed / preferred.

docgerrard

Reaction score
I am tall and skinny so my sizing is weird sadly. Wear 38R.

Will definitely look on ebay though. Thanks!

docgerrard

Reaction score

buy something from eBay or the suit I'm selling (see link in my signature; it's a Canali with peak lapels and dual vents, much better than anything less than 1000)

You get much better deals buying slightly used than new. Don't waste your money on garbage. Once you get your job, start building your wardrobe with new suits if needed / preferred.

Any brands to look out for particularly on Ebay that would fall within my range?

dreamhope

Reaction score
Any brands to look out for particularly on Ebay that would fall within my range?

Depending on your luck, the age of the suit, and the confidence of the seller.

Possibilities: Brioni, Zileri, Belvest, Zegna, Canali, Corneliani...

If you're skinny, try a 38L. I think the above brands (perhaps save Zileri) are all very generously cut.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) this topic can be found elsewhere on the forum.

2) but if you're not going to search, you at least have to give us some info before you're going to get any real responses. age? what type of job or industry? city? stuff like that. The answer for accountant in Minneapolis will be different from Marketing Exec in NYC,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads