• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend Cheap Non-raw Jeans for a Newbie

jamesyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xchen
To be honest man, you are best off going with a size 28 x 34 in APC new standards. Yeah they are raw but it's not really that much extra care. You just need to wash them less. As far as breaking them in, just wear them. Guys who wear the jeans into the bathtub are jean conisseurs if you will. Just wear them like your other jeans and they'll last you a long time. Also, by the time you get the crappy jeans and have them altered (if they don't turn out badly) you may as well have just forked over an extra 40 bucks and got something really nice that will last you a long time.

One pair of APC NS would be better than buying 4 or 5 cheaper pairs that you won't wanna wear a month or two from now.

I wouldn't mind trying out raw jeans in that case. I'm still skeptical about the tapered cut of the New Standards, though. Would going with the Rescue be a terrible move?

jamesyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ENT
Earnest Sewn would be a good place to start. I just saw pairs at Neiman Marcus Last Call and Off Saks yesterday. They should be roughly in your ballpark for price, maybe around $100 or so.

Just my luck, both NM Last Call and Off 5th are over an hour away. And that's if I had a car. I'll keep my eyes peeled in case I'm in the neighborhood. Thanks.

jamesyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Look at revolve (www.revolveclothing.com) at some of their washed Nudies on sale. They had a few styles left, for about a hundred bucks, and they looked pretty nice. If I were you I'd try the Slim Jim or Straight Sven. Just make sure you go by the measurements listed, rather than the photos, which they don't do well.

The cheapest I see is $165 for a pair of Nudie Slim Jims, and I don't find the bunching up in the photos at all appealing.
confused.gif
I'm guessing at least that is accurately represented?

jamesyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
oh, if you can find a back issue of DNR magazine, they did a denim issue 2-3 months ago. GQ had a denim expose' a few months back, too. Check those out.

Thanks, I'll check the library sometime this week.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesyl
The cheapest I see is $165 for a pair of Nudie Slim Jims, and I don't find the bunching up in the photos at all appealing.
confused.gif
I'm guessing at least that is accurately represented?

You can always get them hemmed to little / no break (aka GetSmart - check his WAYWT posts to see what I mean) for $5 - $10.

soonami

Reaction score
I've found Earnest Sewn at some discount stores like Marshall's for ~$40 and they are made fairly nicely. I would size down 1 or 2 though, as they sized little big. The washes are subtle and tasteful. I think the Hemingway and Fulton cuts are straight

But, I think that buying a pair of APC NS would be a better idea because they are made well, affordable with the SF Denimbar discount, and are understated but stylish.

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went through the exact same thing as you. I'm a college student on a tight budget. 6'0" and 140 lbs, tall scrawny ass cracker.

A store locally, Buckle, had some great jeans at a decent price. I run a 30x32, and get a pair of their brand of jeans (BKE - Cole) in 29x32, and they fit great. They have jeans in slim/regular/relaxed fits, with straight/slight bootcut/bootcut sizes. They run anywhere from $40ish to 80ish (what I bought) to into the hundreds. Check them out to see if they work for you:

http://www.buckle.com/

What I bought:
http://www.buckle.com/product/produc...&Ntt=cole&N=42

jamesyl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
You can always get them hemmed to little / no break (aka GetSmart - check his WAYWT posts to see what I mean) for $5 - $10.

Get Smart's look is actually quite nice, I like the slim jeans without the bunching. Of course in the picture when he's sitting down I see quite a bit of sock, but I guess pickers can't be choosers. Thanks for the tip, I think I will look into that.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can have them hemmed to have about 1" of break which will eliminate the problem you mentioned. Just have the tailor hem them so there is about 1" extra material when you're standing in socks and you'll be gtg.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads