• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent WWChan visit in NYC

HitMan009

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I wanted to know who paid a visit to their fittings in NYC. Those Loro Piana fabrics I thought were pretty nice. If I only had more money and a bigger suit wardrobe, I would have went for some of the more stylish cloths. I picked up a midnight blue twill 120s and revised some style issues with my suit. Patrick seems like a pleasant guy to work with. What are your thoughts and which fabric did you pick?

DandySF

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic...I have an appointment with Chan when they visit San Francisco in a couple of weeks. Do they have a good selection of fabrics for a sport coat--plaids, checks, windowpanes, houndstooth, etc? It seems most people talk about their suit materials. I'm thinking of something in autumnal colors with a bit of texture.

HitMan009

Reaction score
While I was paying more attention to the suiting fabrics and overcoat fabrics, they do have quite a number of books of what sportcoat type fabrics. That reminds me.... If anyone can tell me which cashmere overcoat fabric is best, that would be great. I only looked at Colombo, Loro Piana and Crombie fabrics. But the price disparity is amazing. If I remember correctly, the Loro Piana fabric, the asking price was almost $2400 while Crombie was hovering around $1400. The $1K difference is insane or is it just me? Although I can feel the difference and see it as well, is the difference worth it? I understand Crombie back in the days was the standard of cashmere overcoating. The brand right now seems to be rejuvenating itself. My dad's Crombie cashmere overcoat still looks good being over 30 years old.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered a suit from Patrick this morning. I picked a Loro Piana wool, navy with a subtle, medium-sized windowpane texture. Despite my nitpicking, Patrick was very polite and helpful as he was in Hong Kong when I visited them there. I'm looking forward to receiving the suit.

They seemed quite busy. Danny Chien was dealing with two women while I was there and I overlapped with two other men while I was there. And I liked Patrick's choice of shirt and tie more than the ones I've seen Raymond wear.

Regards,

dan

keys

Reaction score
I was there on Monday and they were quite busy. I chose an LP stripe in a medium brown but I was really tempted by a dark gray windowpane w/ a small bit of rust/orange in the fabric. This being my first suit by Chan I was a bit apprehensive about ordering more than one until I'm sure the measurements are correct.

I found Patrick to be quite thorough and accomodating throughout the process; even going so far as to take a few pictures for reference and giving suggestions as to how I could improve the fit of the bespoke suit I was wearing.

All in all a positive experience but I will withold final judgement until I receive the garment in mid-late January.

V-

Lomezz

Reaction score
I just came back. it was my first time using Chan, so I just ordered shirts and slacks. Come spring, when they're back here, I might order a suit depending on how the shirts/slacks turn out.

Patrick was good to deal with, even though he had to stop me at the door, having forgotten to take my neck measurement...

They did seem quite busy - he told me that he took orders for some 60 suits during their 3 day visit to NY. Pretty impressive, I think.

Dah328 - I also saw 2 ladies and another gentelman being measured for a tux while being there - perhaps we ovelapped.

keys

Reaction score
Slightly off-topic...I have an appointment with Chan when they visit San Francisco in a couple of weeks.  Do they have a good selection of fabrics for a sport coat--plaids, checks, windowpanes, houndstooth, etc?  It seems most people talk about their suit materials.  I'm thinking of something in  autumnal colors with a bit of texture.
FWIW I originally thought I'd opt for a glen plaid in "autumnal" colors but was a bit dismayed that they had very little glen plaid in general and even less in what I would consider to be fall-like shades. I found much of the LP fabrics to be in the winter-like, darker shades but all in all still a very, very nice selection.

I saw some great windowpanes in both the Zenga and LP books.

V-

HitMan009

Reaction score
Yes, I believe they were booked solid... They had to schedule me on Sunday. Nehows, I left out a detail and went back on Monday. Saw two gentlemen in the hotel room... Maybe one of them is someone on this board. This was around 6:30pm

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I originally thought I'd opt for a glen plaid in "autumnal" colors but was a bit dismayed that they had very little glen plaid in general and even less in what I would consider to be fall-like shades. I found much of the LP fabrics to be in the winter-like, darker shades but all in all still a very, very nice selection.

I saw some great windowpanes in both the Zenga and LP books.

V-
I'm curious: Did you see any simple conservative solid Navy? I've got an appointment here in Palm Beach on Monday.

keys

Reaction score
I'm curious:  Did you see any simple conservative solid Navy?  I've got an appointment here in Palm Beach on Monday.[/quote]
I don't recall a solid navy in the LP books but, in truth, many of the LP fabrics were very understated with nominal amounts of pattern so you may be tempted to go w/ something slightly different than you originally intended.

I also remember a book of solid color cashmere's that were very nice.

HitMan009

Reaction score
I'm curious:  Did you see any simple conservative solid Navy?  I've got an appointment here in Palm Beach on Monday.
Yes, in the back of the 120s LP book, there is a solid navy blue, midnight blue and black, all in a very fine twill weave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads