• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How’s Salomon sizing? Does it run small lake Scarpa (ie need to size up), or is it more “true” like Adidas?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How’s Salomon sizing? Does it run small lake Scarpa (ie need to size up), or is it more “true” like Adidas?

kinda narrow? I wear 10.5 and might try 11 next time. I wear 10/10.5 in Nike, 10 in Vans, and 9.5/10 in dress shoes.

Some recent pickups:

Buttero Floyd from an Italian ebay store. I regretted missing these at nmwa, so I'm happy to find these. I also prefer this brown to the sand suede, and the price was right.

s-l1600-5.jpg

Some UU stuff. Sweatshirts and a sweater - @jet was ragging on these but for me they're great.
goods_09_415505

goods_03_415505

goods_69_416617

And some French military repro khakis from What Price Glory. I have a pair of their American flat front repros that I tapered into a mild carrot shape. I've been wearing those a lot so I picked up these with pleats. There are vintage version floating around out there, but WPG does a really good reproduction. They're a bit stiff when new (as the old ones were at one time) but they start to break in pretty quickly if you wear and wash them.
French%20Army%20Khaki%20Trousers_L.jpg

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
:lol:

boots are great though i feel the same about the color

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seconded re: Salomon sizing. I've gone true to my US size (8.5D Brannock, 8.5 in big-brand sneakers, 8.5 in Salomons) and they've always fit well, except for one of the pairs of S-Lab Speedcrosses which I would have had to go half size up because they were super narrow.

Personally, I want two sorts of hiking footwear anyway - one lightweight pair of shoes for when I've got nothing on my back and one heavyweight pair of boots for when I've got weight. Salomons are perfect for the former. But I keep most of my pairs for just normal daily wear, and they're holding up great.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are probably the first pair of Birks that I've ever wanted to buy.

I ended up getting 3 pairs of Rick Birkenstocks - Dust Suede, Black leather & those wool ones. (Mine are all Arizonas, though). The wool are by far my favorite. They've probably spent more time on my feet than any other shoes I own over since the holidays.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Callusing are the rick birks tts?

I would say tts if you want to wear them with socks (which is how Rick always styled em), but you can size down 1 if you plan to go without. They're on Birks' narrow last and are unchanged fit-wise other than that.

I'm a US 8.5 with really skinny (as in low-volume, not narrow) feet. I take my Arizonas in a 40 (US 7.5) to wear without socks. Same size in these as my non-Rick Arizonas. But I'd definitely need to size up if I wanted to wear them with socks.

One of the issues with the Rick Birks is you can't really tighten the straps beyond the hole they ship in because the ends of the straps almost / actually brush the ground as you walk right off the bat. I'm sure if you had to dial them tighter a notch or two they'd catch on stuff. But there are like 6 extra holes if you need to loosen em.

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say tts if you want to wear them with socks (which is how Rick always styled em), but you can size down 1 if you plan to go without. They're on Birks' narrow last and are unchanged fit-wise other than that.

I'm a US 8.5 with really skinny (as in low-volume, not narrow) feet. I take my Arizonas in a 40 (US 7.5) to wear without socks. Same size in these as my non-Rick Arizonas. But I'd definitely need to size up if I wanted to wear them with socks.

One of the issues with the Rick Birks is you can't really tighten the straps beyond the hole they ship in because the ends of the straps almost / actually brush the ground as you walk right off the bat. I'm sure if you had to dial them tighter a notch or two they'd catch on stuff. But there are like 6 extra holes if you need to loosen em.

When I was sized for Birks years ago in Germany, the SA was adamant that they need to have space, especially in the front. I'm a pretty solid 10us and he recommended a 44. I normally like a tight fit, so it was a very different than what I was used too.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, I've gone through a bunch of different hiking shoes/boots - Alico, Danner, Keen, La Sportiva. Salomon are easily my favorites. In the end it comes down to personal preference, but for me Salomon has the best combo of light weight, sturdy build and incredible traction. Most boots are too stiff and heavy, and most trail runners are too soft and flimsy. The Speedcross and Outpath shoes I've had are a perfect balance.

I've been very satisfied with Salomon as well for light weight hiking. When I spend a month in New Zealand, hiking almost daily plus climbing two volcanoes and a glacier, this is what I was recommended locally. And I was told Salomon is the preferred brand for the professional NZ cross country runners as well (or it was back then, this was more than a decade ago).

My Salomons also did great hiking The West Highland Way and going to the top of Ben Nevis in Scotland, though I'll admit to having a preference for lighter weight shoes versus boots for the kind of lightly encumbered hiking I like to do.

Callusing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was sized for Birks years ago in Germany, the SA was adamant that they need to have space, especially in the front. I'm a pretty solid 10us and he recommended a 44. I normally like a tight fit, so it was a very different than what I was used too.

Yeah, I've seen that a few places. Problem I get is if I go with my "correct" size, the straps don't sit snug on the top of my feet. I got a pair of Arizonas in a 41 and they'd fly off my feet as I walked, even if I put them on the tightest buckle holes. Could just be a "me" issue. My feet definitely take up the entire footbed on my 40s.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmileFile