• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recent Dinner at Shun-Lee (UWS) and How to Eat Peking Duck

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think this is true. There are places that are good at certain dishes, just not a one stop shop.
Joes Ginger/shanghai is good for the soup dumplings, Big Wong for roast duck, Oriental Garden for seafood and etc.

But even the one-stop shops are not as good at their one thing as many all-around restaurants in other cities.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
your green onion and cucumber-less duck eating ways were just a precursor of things to come. Having a hard time establishing the trust.

Currently eating Asian food in Asia as I type this.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

your green onion and cucumber-less duck eating ways were just a precursor of things to come. Having a hard time establishing the trust.
Currently eating Asian food in Asia as I type this.

My parents use the green onions. My siblings and I never have. Like I said, it's purely the result of childhood custom. That, and the green onions are disgusting.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But even the one-stop shops are not as good at their one thing as many all-around restaurants in other cities.

If the other cities you mean are Toronto, Vancouver or Hong Kong, then maybe. If you mean to include Moscow, Idaho then I doubt you'd be right. I lived in SF before moving to NYC and the Cantonese food is about the same. The DC area might be better than NYC but I haven't lived there in decades.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

$28 for Peking duck is cheap.
I've never had it that way, but can't imagine the rolls tasting as good without both meat and skin inside.

Same things inside...its just a thicker pancake bun thing rather than a thin crepe thing. Still gets the carved skin and meat with the hoisin and green onions to throw inside.

The place is cheap which is why its awesome although you have to call a few hours in advance to get them to hold a few ducks for you (even if you can't make a reservation, they will still set aside the ducks IIRC).

bBoy JEe

Reaction score
In all the times I've even Peking duck (Toronto, HK, Peking (at some of the original places)) I've always gotten the duck soup first, with tofu and watercress, then the peking duck, and then meat stir fried with lettuce wraps. Let's be honest, they have a giant vat of duck soup sitting around, your soup isn't cooked to order.

If I had to rank my experiences, I would say HK>Peking (marginally)>> Toronto >>>>>> everything else.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My parents use the green onions. My siblings and I never have. Like I said, it's purely the result of childhood custom. That, and the green onions are disgusting.

Sorry, but this just wrong. They might not be to your liking, but they actually provide a much needed bite of sharpness and freshness to counter the sweetness of the hoisin sauce and the saltiness of the duck.

Jobst

Reaction score

Same things inside...its just a thicker pancake bun thing rather than a thin crepe thing. Still gets the carved skin and meat with the hoisin and green onions to throw inside.
The place is cheap which is why its awesome although you have to call a few hours in advance to get them to hold a few ducks for you (even if you can't make a reservation, they will still set aside the ducks IIRC).

Sun Wah, Chicago? I really like the Bao wrapper, but my girlfriend disdains it as inauthentic. Uptown is always a dilemma, so much good food to choose from there.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Sorry, but this just wrong. They might not be to your liking, but they actually provide a much needed bite of sharpness and freshness to counter the sweetness of the hoisin sauce and the saltiness of the duck.

I agree, and come on, texture is a big part of this too - that's why the cucumber is there also. Eating duck without the green onions and cucumber is like that guy who orders a cheeseburger without any condiments or toppings, and just eats bread and a cheese covered patty. Low level ****.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sun Wah, Chicago? I really like the Bao wrapper, but my girlfriend disdains it as inauthentic. Uptown is always a dilemma, so much good food to choose from there.

Yup. They might also do the thin crepe-like version...its just that we never order it (or the noodles) since I think my friends all decided long ago what the best options were. Not sure the rest of the food there is very good but the duck is a steal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads