• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paris Food Appreciation (Ambroisie, Arpege, Chateaubriand, etc.)

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Overdue photos from a weekend trip to Paris in December--a surprise for my wife's 30th. Fearless of scowling waiters, I took photos of our meals at Ambroise, Arpege, and Chateaubriand. Will upload as able.

Ambroisie was our second dinner in Paris. We wound up ordering quite a few courses, but split a few of them. Contrary to what others have reported, the service was impeccable. Honestly--the best meal of my life.

First course was the foie gras, but I failed to photograph it. Second course was the famous langoustine with sesame tuille and curry buerre blanc:

ambroisie_course_01_zpsa91670fb.jpg

Third course was a surprise. We thought we were getting the Arpege-style hot-and-cold egg. Instead, I happily misordered this off-menu item, a poached egg in white truffle emulsion and white truffles:

ambroisie_course_02_zps6bc2d5f2.jpg

Our fourth course was the famous sea bass with caviar. Pictured is a half portion:

ambroisie_course_03_zpsb3fa5522.jpg

Fifth course was a dover sole with white truffle:

ambroisie_course_04_zpsf0b5d66b.jpg

Sixth course was the sweatbreads, with salt-baked celery root (and white truffle):

ambroisie_course_05a_zpsfb884c3e.jpg

ambroisie_course_05b_zpsd19edc6b.jpg

ambroisie_course_05c_zpsace4c084.jpg

For dessert, we had the medley (which is absurd, as it is actually a full portion of most of the dessert items on the menu):

ambroisie_course_06a_zpsd7c6e091.jpg

ambroisie_course_06b_zps6315fe06.jpg

ambroisie_course_06c_zpsd90dad9a.jpg

ambroisie_course_06d_zpscc500e26.jpg

ambroisie_course_06e_zps2ea4ed55.jpg

It was an unbelievable amount of food--but it was also a five-hour meal. I would offer more commentary, but I would just be spilling excessive praise.

Much has been said by others regarding a supposed seating hierarchy between front, middle, and rear dining rooms. We were seated in the middle room. The back room is supposed to be one reserved for tourists and other undesirables, but from what we could see, it's a very nice private space. If you don't want half a dozen wait staff looking over you the whole time, it seems like a decent place to be. For what it's worth, they seated a very old, aristocratic-looking French couple there. In our room, there was us, a large table for a French family celebrating a birthday, and an English couple.

Everybody but the English couple whipped out a camera at some point. So, we didn't feel embarrassed at all to do the same.

When I saw the check, I must admit I felt wallet-raped, but I must also admit that I didn't mind and would do it again.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks fantastic foo, glad you and your wife had a great time. After visiting paris for our honeymoon I'm still attempting to convince my wife to move their with me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I honeslty don't remember for sure, but I don't think it was parsley. The sauce was not that strong a flavor. They gave us the menu. I will check and see if it says.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed with your constitution. I ate half of what you had at L'Ambroisie and they pretty much had to roll me out of there.

The other place I wanted to try was the new Alain Ducasse at Hotel Meurice. My friend was actually staying at the Meurice but it was a national holiday the day we wanted to go and the restaurant was closed.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clementinezia81