• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading thread

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score
Starting Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov today... read Pale Fire and The Defense some time ago and enjoyed them - his writing style is really lovely to read.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished John Hart's Iron House on a recommendation - better than I feared but not really my cup of tea.

Currently reading Saturn's Children - Charles Stross again. Much more confident than his earlier stuff - fun and thought provoking

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can we please talk about Raymond Carver?

I've read a couple of his short stories. Too minimalist for me, but I can see the appeal.

rjbman

Reaction score
Read a collection that was pretty much the best of his short stories; come to think of it I think that's the first post of the thread. I really enjoyed it. Don't usually read literary fiction, usually stick to scifi/fantasy, but I found it excellent. Some of the stories I could recognize some important themes but I believe it'll take a coupe rereads to fully grasp some of the stuff.

TL;DR He's ******* sweet.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you liked Carver, you might hunt down some Gordon Lish, whose ideas (and editing -- and sometimes, very heavy editing) had a big hand in both his style and success. You'd probably also love Sam Lipsyte (also edited by Lish), modern, leaner, and meaner.

Last edited:

dotcomzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've read a couple of his short stories. Too minimalist for me, but I can see the appeal.

Minimalist. Terse. No extra lines anywhere. Completely tight. I always wondered how much of his stuff got left on the editing floor.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carolyn Abbate and Roger Parker's A History of Opera. I'm really liking it because they write really well (funny, passionate) and I want to learn more about opera. Also trudging through Nabokov's Ada, or Ardor. It makes me smile consistently but 600 pages of incest, multilingual puns, and characters I don't really care about is a little much.

I've bee meaning to read more Raymond Carver. I tend to like wordy authors but from the 2-3 stories I've read, I love how much he does with so little.

Last edited:

rjbman

Reaction score
Just finished Neuromancer. Really solid book. I had forgotten how much I loved cyberpunk.

Also finished the Philip K. Dick short stories, they got really dark as he got older. Was a great read though, and I can see just why he's so highly regarded with respects to scifi.

With summer here I'm aiming to read like wildfire; already have Blood Meridian and House of Leaves lined up next. Anyone got other reccomendations?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Revenge: 10 Dark Tales by Yoko Ogawa. It was pretty cool if you're into the weird japanese horror storry thing.

Then I hopped on the Leviathan Wakes train. Loving it so far :D

You guys should read the Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I don't like books like that but it had me bawling on the subway :embar:

Last edited:

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My coworker was talking about Fault in Our Stars for a couple days non-stop.

I'm reading The Illiad. I started the habit of reading a page out loud whenever I start reading, but I've started getting disappointed when that page ends so I've extended it to two pages, and I might extend it again to "whenever my throat starts to hurt."

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what I've read so far this year (stand-outs bolded):

1. The Undivided pt 1
2. The Undivided pt 2
3. No Country for Old Men
4. The Difference Engine
5. Wake in Fright
6. The River of Doubt
7. The Pearl
8. Crytonomicon
9. Shot in the Dark
10. Malcolm X - Biography
11. Final Empire
12. The Quiet American.
13. Habibi
14. The Invisible Man
15. Tender is the Night
16. Guardians of the West
17. King of the Murgos
18. Demon lord of Khandar

19. Sorcress of Darshiva
20. Seeress of Kell
21. Once We Were Warriors
22. Winter of our Discontent
23. Othello
24. A Scanner Darkly
25. The Well of Ascension
26. Hero of Ages
27. Alloy of Law

28. Marrow
29. The Prince
30. Leviathan Wakes
31. The Meaning of Sarkozy
32. The Death of Ivan Illych
33. The Devil

Currently reading Lucifer's Hammer. It's ok - quite interesting in parts.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stonemouth - Iain Banks - small town life in Scotland with gangsters... Thoroughly enjoyed it

Happy Days - Graham Hurley - the last in a crime series set in Portsmouth. Superb series, but start at the beginning with Turnstone

Pandora's Star / Judas Unchained - Peter F Hamilton - a pair of brick sized books - recommended for those who like space opera with a bit of depth and scope.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics