• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ravazzolo/belvest?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In various discussion both here and at Andy's, I have yet to see mention of Ravazzolo and Belvest.

In my opinion, these two manufacturers are great starter suits, I bought a Ravazzolo for my B.S walk, and then a Belvest for my doctorate. I got them both at Barcelinos at the Embarcadero in SF. These two got me started towards Brioni, Kiton, Attolini, etc.

At the time, these were cheaper than Canali, Zegna, Zileri, and Isaia. Any opinions?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think they are as cheap anymore - Belvest starts at around $1900 from what I've seen. I've never seen Ravazzolo at retail since I haven't yet been in Barcelino. But I'm thinking they are more than Canali and Zileri. Great suits both, I prefer Belvest to Ravazzolo and either of them to regular Zegna.

On a slightly related note, DNR recently published a list of the top 10 Italian tailored cloting firms, by 2001 sales figures:

1) Zegna with $710 million

2) Canali with $151 million

3) Forall (Pal Zileri) with $124 million

4) Brioni with $115 million

5) Corneliani with $113 million

6) Urbis (Tombolini) with $55 million

7) SanRemo (Gr. Inghirami) with $50 million

8) Cantarelli with $44 million (that includes Saint Andrews)

9) Belvest with $38 million

10) Kiton with $36 million

I was surprised to see that Belvest edged out Kiton. And to say that Zegna has a chokehold on the market is certainly an understatement.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was surprised to see that Belvest edged out Kiton. And to say that Zegna has a chokehold on the market is certainly an understatement.
It's all Adrien Brody's fault. I wish I looked that good in a Zegna.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by A.Harris:
I've never seen Ravazzolo at retail since I haven't yet been in Barcelino. But I'm thinking they are more than Canali and Zileri.

In my opinion, Ravazzolo is definitely higher in the food chain compared to Canali and Zileri (about the same level as Satoriale.it). There is more hand work to the Ravazzolo, and the fabrics they use are superior.

That list you provided is quite surprising, especially the ranking of Kiton. I always thought that they would be higher due to the fact that I have seen lots of stores, especially in Germany who carry the brand, plus the cost of thier suitings. Yes, they pay their tailors a premium (well, not enough to keep thier head tailor from being poached by Borrelli), but so do many others.

naturlaut

Reaction score
Well, Kiton is not a very big company. So far they have few flagship stores (one in Japan, and one in New York), plus Zegna is definitely a much more recognized global name than Kiton. To many uninformed men, Zegna to them is Kiton to you. Also, bear in mind that Zegna practically makes suits for everybody from Armani to Dunhill.

Artisan productions never make as much money as mass-produced operations, from suits to shirts to shoes to even other things --- do you think Toraya (Japanese wagashi confectioney maker) makes more money or Rieses?

Back to original topic, I have nothing to complain about Belvest. It is an excellent maker and good value. I just looked at some Belvest winter suits today, and I had to run out of the store (Swank Shop in Hong Kong) pretty quickly before I make yet another impulse buy. Do you know if they make shirts too?

Mr_Sweden

Reaction score
Back to original topic, I have nothing to complain about Belvest.  It is an excellent maker and good value.  I just looked at some Belvest winter suits today, and I had to run out of the store (Swank Shop in Hong Kong) pretty quickly before I make yet another impulse buy.  Do you know if they make shirts too?

Yes, they do make shirts. I have seen a few of them at a store in Stockholm, Sweden.

/Mr Sweden

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m reviving this old thread because it’s the only one I found that’s dedicated to Ravazzolo.

I have had the Zegna solid navy suit in the first photo for years. It’s a great garment and the fabric is about 9-10 oz.

On impulse, while visiting family in Birmingham, Michigan, I purchase the Ravazzolo solid navy suit in the second photo. At the time, I thought that it might be a shade darker and a couple of ounces heavier than the Zegna. When I got home, I realized that the colors and weights were nearly identical and that the only difference was that the Zegna was 3-button and the Ravazzolo 2-button. The practical and responsible side of me said to return the Ravazzolo but the sartorial side of me won out and I’m keeping both despite their similarity.

Query: Any opinions on the quality and styling of Ravazzolo?
6E04794A-9E6C-48C4-9AC5-629ED3230286.jpeg
485AC960-BF05-467F-A88D-28932DB8F737.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads