• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate your city: why you love it or lump it.

DBoon

Reaction score
Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - 6.7/10 Pros: - Really good food. Really, good, food, everywhere. - Can live very well with an American college education - Big sense of regional pride - One of the best universities in the world - Millions of people = **** going on all the time - Decent cultural fare Cons: - Gross adoration of American luxury - Slums - Would be unlivable if not fluent in Spanish Guadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico aught to be a 9+ imo

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stavros
Seattle, WA - Rating: 5

The bad: not much opportunity for outdoor activities except in summer (again because of the rain

I grew up out there, and you just have to get used to the mist. Put an REI raincoat and a hat on. You're fine. If you can't get used to it, you will be stuck indoors. And that's sad.

Originally Posted by Stavros
you won't be happy here unless you fit one of the several typical "NW profiles":

http://www.werealotlikeyou.com/

That's pretty funny. I know a lot of these people. The Walla Walla Wine Woman Woman, the Accidental Tech Millionaire, etc, etc. Hilarious.

b

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by random-adam
Haven't yet seen Washington, DC -- so here it is. 7

I'd say about the same. But with some qualifications and additions.

PROS
1. Lots of good food at a variety of prices
2. The Metro is generally clean, usually runs fine, and takes you where you need to go.
3. Lots of opportunity for jobs.
4. Great schools to get an education at all levels.
5. Lovely fall weather. I even like the winter, mostly.
6. Greatest city ever for cultural ****. Look at all of the free museums! The Kennedy Center and other institutions constantly have top notch programs.
7. One easily accessible internationl airport. Two others available.
8. Neighborhood-y feel to much of the city. You'd never know you were in DC in some places.
9. More green space than most large cities (I've heard DC is the greenest city in the nation).
10. Easy access to other big east coast cities via train (Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Boston).
11. Alternative transit is being integrated better and better into the city (bikes, walking, subway, streetcars, busses).

CONS
1. Some of the best ethnic food can only be had out in the Virginia suburbs (Korean, in particular).
2. The Metro is sorely underfunded, yet takes a massive percentage of the federal government to work and the Feds don't want to pay for it. No transit systems are completely self-supports--including roads!
3. Competition for jobs is very high unless you have an advanced degree or excellent experience.
4. Local public schools are dismal. In part I'll blame Congress for messing in our business. Stop experimenting with our schools. In part, see #9 below.
5. Summers here suck ass.
6. I hear (though I can't vouch for it) that nightlife here isn't great.
7. Two other international airports that are not at all conveniently served by public transit.
8. Congressional control over our city is killing us. We have no true home-rule. Any law the City Council passes can be overturned by Congress. And we have NO VOTE IN CONGRESS.
9. There's a huge proportion of the population that just doesn't give a **** about the city. They litter on the Metro, they don't do their public-serve job well or at all, they steal from the city (Harriet Walters), etc. etc.
10. Tourists who act like the city's an amusement park and that people don't actually live here.
11. A lot of people who are way too full of themselves. No one cares that you work for Rep. So-and-so. The guy next to you, who isn't bragging, is the Under Secretary of Something Way More Important. That woman is a lobbyist pulling in $250k/year and has the ear of people more important than your boss. And that guy sweeps the floors and empties your garbage--without him, you'd be living in filth because you think you're too good to do that.
12. Rampant NIMBY-ism kills many of the best transit-oriented development. See the Tenleytown Library, the revamp of the Safeway on upper Wisc, and the attempt to kill the Giant revamp on Wisc.

I know I have more cons, but the pros outweigh them. DC's actually a really nice city to live in. If I could change one thing, I'd make it flatter so I could bike to work more easily.

b

kruze

Reaction score
Boston

9/10

Pros:
Any cuisine you please.
Women of all kinds.
Very walkable
Culturally diverse
Decent nightlife*[See below]

Cons:
Crazy rent
*T closes at 1245, bars close at 2...there's a disconnect here.
Weather is hit or miss. I can't stand walking the city while it's raining or windy/cold in the winter. And you have to walk since it's just not that kind of city.

If weather was like San Diego, it would be my favorite place to live.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I don't know how Edmonton could be the cultural capital of Canada. Ukrainians do not equal diversity. Vancouver, Montreal, Toronto and likely even Ottawa are far more diverse.
Edmonton has more festivals than any other city in North America, a new art gallery, a well respected symphony, state of the art theatrical facilities, and one of the largest universities in Canada. All these things add to its cultural diversity. Edmonton is by no means on par with cities like New York, London, Tokyo, and so on, but for a medium sized city, I think it's quite livable.

Copious

Reaction score
Charlotte

4/10

Pros:
Bojangles
Cheerwine
People are generally nice

Cons:
It's still a hick-ass city
There's nothing to do
Very few worthwhile bands come here
Too spread out, ****** public transit system
People here mostly suck

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Kansas City- 6

Pros

Extremely friendly and unpretentious citizens
People understand they aren't Chicago (unlike St. Louis)
Great housing options & historic neighborhoods
Low cost of living
Remarkably efficient airport
Steady job market
Business friendly
Excellent art & music scene for city of it's size
Diversity of weather
Fascinating and tumultuous history
Cow derived cuisine
College sports fanaticism
"Under the radar" factor; Those visiting that expect Creationist parades and roaming cattle downtown are usually shocked at how well people are living.

Cons

"Can't do/ short sighted" attitude of city caused from Kansas/Missouri bi-state disputes
Underdeveloped (but developing) downtown
Preposterous suburban sprawl and decentralization
No viability of mass transit now or in near future
Atrocious KC,MO public schools
Extremely corrupt city officials and school board
Segregated neighborhoods with crime
Mediocre shopping & many generic restaurants
Weather extremes
Bad dating scene
Obesity
The Royals

DBoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Kansas City- 6

Pros

People understand they we aren't Chicago (unlike St. Louis)
Low cost of living
Steady job market
Business friendly
Diversity of weather
Cow derived cuisine
"Under the radar" factor; Those visiting that expect Creationist parades and roaming cattle downtown are usually shocked at how well people are living.

Cons

"Can't do/ short sighted" attitude of city caused from Kansas/Missouri bi-state disputes
Weather extremes
Bad dating scene
Obesity
The Royals

The Royals
The Chiefs

Prada_Ferragamo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Kansas City- 6

Pros

People understand they we aren't Chicago (unlike St. Louis)
Low cost of living
Steady job market
Business friendly
Diversity of weather
Cow derived cuisine

Cons

Weather extremes
Bad dating scene
Obesity
The Royals

Do you live in Kansas City? I currently live here and I hate the place.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I grew up there and spend 4 months or so a year there. My work now allows me to live for the other 8 months or so in whatever city where my current project as an architect is located. I don't miss it when I'm gone but it's better than some other places of comparable size that I've lived in.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
There is no way in hell that Edmonton is a 7 and Calgary is a 6.

I LOLed as well. Never been to Edmonton, but Calgary looks like a dysenterrhic asshole from the air on final approach.

Vancouver is nice, but for some reason many Vancouverites are annoying flakes. Montreal is nice. I'm originally from Toronto so I'm biased that way.

Current location: OTTAWA -- 6.5/10

PROS:
- Hour from Montreal
- Nice natural surroundings
- UNESCO World Heritage Site downtown
- Does have that "capital city" vibe
- Big enough, but small enough at the same time, if you know what I mean

CONS:
- Winters suck hard, even for Canada
- Clueless tourists
- Somewhat provincial mindsets prevail
- No good home furnishings stores (Roche Bobois is the high-end...)

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by M. Bardamu
I LOLed as well. Never been to Edmonton, but Calgary looks like a dysenterrhic asshole from the air on final approach.
Agreed, I think Prairie cities inclusively look like **** from the air. Sprawling trash cans in a sea of yellow. Compared to a city like Ottawa, with the river and forests, or Toronto on the lake, or Vancouver with the sea and mountains, Calgary through to Winnipeg look pretty terrible. I would say the same thing about most Mid-Western cities as well, except for Denver, because the Rockies are so close. Even SLC doesn't look great due to the smog, although the Wasatch Front looks good covered in snow.

minus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ns_guy
Calgary - 6 Pros: -Economy: Job opportunities are good I think, of course like any city also hit by the downturn in the economy. -Mountains: Lots of opportunity to get outdoors into the Rocky Mountains, only about an hour away. And Banff is a nice day trip in itself. -Skiing: Lots of ski hills accessable within 2 hours from Calgary, and more within a 3-4 hour drive. -Only province in Canada not to have a provincial sales tax (5% sales tax versus 12-14% elsewhere in Canada), making shopping more fun. -Food: Decent selection of places to eat, and reasonable prices. Of course, Alberta beef is awesome so that helps in the food category. -Stampede: I like to think it's a good time, though some may disagree. -Home to the Calgary Flames. Cons: -City planning -> mostly suburbia, not much in the downtown core, and I would rate the nightlife as not being as vibrant as other cities like Vancouver/Toronto/Montreal. It's beginning to redevelop in the downtown core, but slowly. -Weather: It ranges from brutally hot in the summer (+30 celsius) to incredibly cold (-30 or below) in the winter. Summers are too short-lived. -Public transit: Unless you live close to the C-Train (above ground subway), your commute will suck -> due to the crappy public transit, most people have to drive. -Politics: Not really existent, as the conservatives have a stronghold here and incumbents always win.
Oof, I'm going to come off as a negative ass, but I really don't see a way around that. Being as I am one. Anyway; I agree with all your "Cons" but would lump the Stampede, shopping and the economy/jobs in there as well. The Stampede being, well, the Stampede, is not my taste. This would be fine if it wasn't also incessantly rammed down my throat. It's a celebration of the fallacy of Calgary as a frontier town. This was a city founded on money, oil, and vice. Let's embrace that **** like Vegas and see how it rolls. The well-paying jobs revolving around the oil & gas industry almost exclusively. Sure, that's a gross generalization, but I'll be damned if anyone outside that industry will pay me what the O&G sector does. This saddens me, but I'm a greed ***** so I have to accept, nay, embrace my hypocrisy and move on. The shopping may be cheaper due to lack of a provincial sales tax, but finding anything worth buying isn't particularly easy. It's the ass end of fashion in Canada, where only the most middle-of-the-road clothes filter through from the already diluted pool that arrives in Vancouver/Toronto. There are no politics, per se, in Calgary. A majority of the population seems pre-programmed to vote Conservative regardless of candidate. the story is the Conservatives could run a mentally marsupialed chimpanzee in a riding and it would still win by a landslide. this has been somewhat proven by running candidates who, by all rights, shouldn't be allowed to operate a toilet without assistance let alone represent a sizable chunk of Calgary's population. Given the calibre of candidates from the other parties that are thrown on the sacrificial pike of watching the demeaning results on election night role is, this shouldn't be a surprise. Only masochists need apply.
Originally Posted by tomgirl
i live in edmonton too. i would have rated it much lower than you, however. probably more of a "4". i guess the horrendous public transit, frustrating urban sprawl, lacklustre night life and lame downtown unfortunately outweigh the generally nice summers and river valley in my opinion. probably because i've lived here my entire life and nowhere near the river valey. also, people here think ed hardy and lululemon = high fashion.
cry.gif

As above, so below. But with cowboy hats.

604guy

Reaction score
Montreal, Canada 9/10

Pros
-Affordable housing
-Great nightlife
-Interesting archietecture
-Great dining
-Great public transportation system
-World class events/ festivals
-Stylish, open minded people
-15$ full contact lap dances

Cons
-Tension between French and English/Threat of seperatism
-High Taxes
-Cold/snowy winters
-Lower career oppurtunities then other Canadian Cities

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads