• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Health thoughts - SWD version

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dietitians are a part of medicine. That's like saying nurses don't practice medicine. Also personal trainers are an unregulated mine field of straight garbage and the only motivation for being based in research and understanding it is personal intelligence and motivation

Nurses don't practice medicine! They practice nursing!

What does being unregulated have to do with anything? It doesn't change the fact that if a good personal trainer helps someone to change their lifestyle they've essentially done a huge service to their health/wellness.

Probably Occupational Therapist is a better example than personal trainer.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if a dietitian helps to manage a disease or chronic condition how is that not healthcare? ffs.

also: populist skepticism is an American hallmark! it's what separates us from the suckers over there.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its really cool that this thread is now for peddling 'ancestral diet' pseudoscience bullshit and questioning whether the irrefutably proven link between modern western medicine and a dramatic increase in life expectancy and positive treatment based outcomes is true.
I come in peace but what is this ancestral diet "pseudoscience bullshit" you keep harping on? What makes it pseudoscience. That word rings hollow and meaningless. Step up and school me on the science you believe.

And who's peddling? I'm not selling anything. Folks need to eat properly sourced food and vegetables. Canola oil sucks by the way. Unreal.

What exactly is pseudoscience about eating real food and what our ancestors ate? Or eating foods appropriate for the season? Fat from properly sourced(grass fed, pastured) is some of the best fat you can eat. Along with quality fish and seafood. We need fat!!! I used to be afraid of fat and avoided it until I got sick from doing so. Western medicine(not that it isn't valuable) had me taking pills every day when I was sick.

All the suckers out there eating low fat or no fat yogurt etc are loading up on sugar and **** cause that's what it takes to make it taste palatable when you remove the good fat.

If you're going to pan an "ancestral" diet (that our ancestors ate and humans are hard wired to eat and enjoy) please tell us what the failings are. What diet do you believe in.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if a dietitian helps to manage a disease or chronic condition how is that not healthcare? ffs.

also: populist skepticism is an American hallmark! it's what separates us from the suckers over there.

Is this directed at me?

I clearly said from the beginning that there's a difference between medicine and health. And for most people most of the determinants of health are not medical.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well now we know why you're so defensive and ignorant
I'm not being defensive. I want to know why he feels that an ancestral diet is bullshit. Or pseudoscience.

No one here has written anything about diet that makes a scientific point.

As far as being ignorant, that's your problem. I've said nothing or have voiced an opinion that anyone has refuted with science. I'm eating healthy. That's all that matters to me tough guy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I come in peace but what is this ancestral diet "pseudoscience bullshit" you keep harping on? What makes it pseudoscience. That word rings hollow and meaningless. Step up and school me on the science you believe.

And who's peddling? I'm not selling anything. Folks need to eat properly sourced food and vegetables. Canola oil sucks by the way. Unreal.

What exactly is pseudoscience about eating real food and what our ancestors ate? Or eating foods appropriate for the season? Fat from properly sourced(grass fed, pastured) is some of the best fat you can eat. Along with quality fish and seafood. We need fat!!! I used to be afraid of fat and avoided it until I got sick from doing so. Western medicine(not that it isn't valuable) had me taking pills every day when I was sick.

All the suckers out there eating low fat or no fat yogurt etc are loading up on sugar and **** cause that's what it takes to make it taste palatable when you remove the good fat.

If you're going to pan an "ancestral" diet (that our ancestors ate and humans are hard wired to eat and enjoy) please tell us what the failings are. What diet do you believe in.

Saying this as someone who knows nothing about medicine or health -- and runs by a general rule of "trust experts in formalized institutions" -- I don't understand how a lay person understands any of this stuff.

How do you know what happens when someone consumes low fat yogurt for 50 years? Or canola oil? Or any of this stuff that's not an "obvious bad" (like heroin or whatever).

And please don't say "look at the studies" because there are a billion studies for everything. What in the studies make sense in terms of understanding causality? Meaning, how does anyone in this field know X causes Y?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."
Great. Now I'm doubting my confidence.

jpc9

Reaction score

Two things in re: the bolded part of your quoted post. I’ve already posted on this topic but WE HAVE EVOLVED since the advent of widespread agriculture. Whether you realize this or not, you’re attempting to make an argument by definition but you never define what “ancestor” means. What time scale? What anatomy? By the way, nutrition and diet, like evolution, are not a faith-based belief system. You seem like a nice and thoughtful guy but it seems you’re arguing from an ill-informed, marketed point of view.

Last edited:

e0d9n0b5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not being defensive. I want to know why he feels that an ancestral diet is bullshit. Or pseudoscience.

No one here has written anything about diet that makes a scientific point.

As far as being ignorant, that's your problem. I've said nothing or have voiced an opinion that anyone has refuted with science. I'm eating healthy. That's all that matters to me tough guy.

if you want recent research, look no further than mike israetel, brad schoenfeld, max viada, et all

also, i was being completely serious in the post you quoted, its extremely cool and good that this is what this thread is about now

mementomoriarty

Reaction score
Every time I check this thread
giphy.gif

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying this as someone who knows nothing about medicine or health -- and runs by a general rule of "trust experts in formalized institutions" -- I don't understand how a lay person understands any of this stuff.

How do you know what happens when someone consumes low fat yogurt for 50 years? Or canola oil? Or any of this stuff that's not an "obvious bad" (like heroin or whatever).

And please don't say "look at the studies" because there are a billion studies for everything. What in the studies make sense in terms of understanding causality? Meaning, how does anyone in this field know X causes Y?
These are all reasonable questions and I appreciate them.

I think that many people can live relatively healthy lives eating foods and food stuffs that do not cause any problems. Until later in life they do. I'm 57 and not taking any meds whatsoever. I use to though....

How many folks are taking metformin, insulin, HBP meds, anti cholesterol drugs which are bad news but their cholesterol is high, and on and on. What is the causative effect that has them taking such meds. I believe their diet has a lot to do with it. It's life's longevity I'm trying to address.

Science is finding more and more that proper gut health is important too. And if not populated with healthy bacteria, it is believed is a contributor to ADHD, rheumatoid arthritis and many other diseases.

Maybe I sound like I'm coming on strong as I'm influenced by what I've researched and the positive health effects they've had on my health and so many others who's posts I've read.

I've read interesting articles by forensic anthropologists who did not find adult diabetes or heart disease in past ancestral civilizations prior to the agricultural and industrial revolutions.

What foods were available to our ancestors and which were not.

So, obviously I feel that proper diet is a strong determinant to optimum health and longevity(that is the discussion here isn'tit?). That it can takes a long time to see the effects.. I just have thoughts that took me a lot of research and living to appreciate.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two things in re: the bolded part of your quoted post. I’ve already posted on this topic but WE HAVE EVOLVED since the advent of widespread agriculture. Whether you realize this or not, you’re attempting to make an argument by definition but you never define what “ancestor” means. What time scale? What anatomy? By the way, nutrition and diet, like evolution, are not a faith-based belief system. You seem like a nice and thoughtful guy but it seems you’re arguing from an ill-informed, marketed point of view.
Human ancestors prior to the agricultural and industrial revolution.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off argumentative. I think what got me going here was the bastardization of saturated fat by Hendrix. His thesis cannot be supported.

And the current genus or genetics of GMO U.S. wheat is not a friend as well. Wheat has changed so much. Remember "Amber waves of grain"? Wheat stalks use to be 6+feet tall. Now? 2-3 ft tall thanks to Monsanto. The wonders of GMO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads