• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's also something to be said for taking inspiration for dress from sources entirely separate from fashion. we can look at look books and runways all we want, but in my opinion, the most interesting looks/designs/fashion endeavors are generated from something totally foreign to fashion.

Urthwhyte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new wardrobe's palette is taken exclusively from the Footon-Servetto 2010 cycling kit

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score

thats why it helps to actually live your life and draw inspiration from other sources as well. for example, synth's recent western wanderer kick seems to fit him as he lives in CO and i imagine him meandering through the colorado countryside drinking bourbon out of a flask. i mean, i don't have a life,which is why i dress like a turd, but yeah.

this is really stupid, and so is this conversation

johanm

Reaction score

their watches have a WWII 'heritage' in the sense that they had contract from allied and nazis governments and all made pilot's watches..
tbh if we're gonna dog companies for being complicit with mass murders IBM and bayer top the list..

I was more referring to a specific watch like the Big Pilot / B Uhr, which was originally designed for Nazi fighter pilots. Either way, I don't have any problem with the company or the watch, I just think it's odd for them to emphasize the WWII heritage, especially since the current version barely resembles the original.

CoMj

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
there's also something to be said for taking inspiration for dress from sources entirely separate from fashion. we can look at look books and runways all we want, but in my opinion, the most interesting looks/designs/fashion endeavors are generated from something totally foreign to fashion.

I prefer fashion and movies. Atm, would want to wear more futuristic.

Raf polyester velcro shirt? :)

skitlets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted to respond to this (in the TOJ thread), but then I thought that I should move it into the old "Where is your style going" thread. Then I waffled, and figured that since I had nothing tangible to say, I would, instead, keep it in here. It's seriously rambling, so be warned.
Over the last few weeks, the local landscape has been fairly inescapable, or unignorable (thanks, ting tings!). Fires, thunderstorms, hail, winds - the weather has been fairly apocalyptic as of late. Added to that is the fact that I've been dealing with a pair of architects for the last few weeks, and most of our discussion has centered around green design, organic architecture, and landscape integration. The end result, I guess, is that I've been feeling very western.
What I'd love to do is - well, it's not the "east meets west" thing, I know that. I don't want to blend hinduism with SoCal organics, or smoke pot out of a hookah. But there are images I love: a landscape that is incredibly familiar but somehow eternally alien, where you transition here between storm and sun and wind and rain and snow and fire like you wouldn't believe; it was 62 degrees and raining here this morning, and this afternoon it was 87 and hot hot sun. You can't really get used to that; Colorado keeps you guessing, and the earth here is harsh: cactus, scrub, dirt, rock, pine - interspersed with marsh, riparian wetland, mountain streams, the Rockies...I'm up in the Park a lot, and I'm always strucked by how majestically fucked you would feel if you were out there as a pioneer. Likewise, standing out on the plains in the middle of a thunderstorm is a terrifying experience. You can see lightning over the foothills, and everywhere you look it's either the exposed sandstone of the flatirons or the carved-out, eroded mesas of the cretaceous sea floor. Seriously, it's pretty cool - visitors never expect to find trilobites at the ranch trailhead.
I would love to find something that taps into that sense of exploration. I think that Damir, InAisce, and to an extent, M.A.+ all are searching for that - or, at least, they are all searching. Nicholas K also presented a beautifully "cowboyish" show for F/W 2011 (in my mind, at least), down to the hats. I like the idea that it's still worth searching for serenity - there are places out here where you can really go to be alone, in the mountains, on the plains, even on the side of the road on the bank of stream on a rainy day, when there are no cars. I don't know about you guys, but I get sick of having phone, internet, email, everything in my palm all the time. What I want to to do is sit. Sit and listen. I'm so tired, all the time. Two days ago, when it was pouring rain outside and all the creeks were flooding, I went outside and just sat in my car and listened to the rain.
Tension. Always tension. I want something that fits in between suburban technorasta-urbania, backwards cattle ranches, and the glaciers and moraines of the mountains. I have been thinking of too many things, too many directions, too many futures. Here are some pictures I took in my bedroom this afternoon. I want to be all of them.
nPSRTl.jpg

I still haven't read it.
I remember visiting the temple of Dionysus, and taking a picture of an eroded marble column that had been swallowed by grass and neglect. That is an image I find eternally relevant. There is a feeling I have, sometimes, when I am reading a book or standing on a ledge, of watching all the old gods die. I love pillars. I love decay. Rather, I love permanence, but impermanence is beautiful and necessary. Immediacy is...unavoidable, and pleasurable in its own right. I have a kitschy golden skull candle, but I think it looks good on this pillar:
90kCNl.jpg

ytCg9l.jpg

That pocketknife was my grandfather's. His parents were immigrants, and he ended up having to run the grocery store his father started to support his family. He ended up in the merchant marines in World War II, and he probably purchased this knife in the 1940's. The bird foot is a "lifecast" - the mold was taken from a catbird that no longer needed its foot.
yWaoql.jpg

46csBl.jpg

nAgRMl.jpg

Beauty exists with and without background data. Again, tension - meaning is inextricably linked to and eternally removed from context. Do I believe in singularity? Unequivocally. Do I believe in analogy? Wholeheartedly. I want to wear Demeulemeester fringe shirts with TOJ leathers and bargain-bin pants; I want to wear capes and shawls annd urban cowboy boots while watering the tomato plant on my porch. I want to be self consciously romantic; I want to make believe in flight pants and aviator jackets on the plains of the West. I want life to inspire. I want people to question. I want to look like I give a ****, because I do. I care about beauty. I care about art. I care about life.
ntUHel.jpg

C2L6fl.jpg

leVtjl.jpg

I want random fashion thoughts to have more worth than what it's given. I wish there were more posts that weren't just ripples in the pond. We come here to post the random **** we think of, but rarely does it evolve for more than a response or two.
This is all stuff that's been posted before. But I'm feeling pretty good, and think it's worth bringing up again.

I've been trying to read more lately and your writing style is great. Came across a short piece by Joan Didion, the way you describe the weather is quite similar.

Last edited:

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just realised styleforum is an awful place for developing your personal style, I mean, there's a lot of really well dressed people here who are inspirational to me, but there's a very limited aesthetic here, and I've realised that instead of buying things I like I've been (subconsciously) buying things that seem to be liked by styleforum, and dressing the way I think styleforum would like.

This is a smart realization.

thats why it helps to actually live your life and draw inspiration from other sources as well. for example, synth's recent western wanderer kick seems to fit him as he lives in CO and i imagine him meandering through the colorado countryside drinking bourbon out of a flask. i mean, i don't have a life,which is why i dress like a turd, but yeah.

Turrible turrible idea mikey. That **** is YOLO foot tattoo territory. You just gotta buy clothes you honestly want to wear and then wear them, it doesn't matter if you skate or ride horses or your grandpa was a Cherokee prince or whatever. I don't know if you've ever taken a breather from sf but you might be surprised by what it does for your buying habits and aspirations. That sounds a lot more condescending than I mean it to.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just realised styleforum is an awful place for developing your personal style, I mean, there's a lot of really well dressed people here who are inspirational to me, but there's a very limited aesthetic here, and I've realised that instead of buying things I like I've been (subconsciously) buying things that seem to be liked by styleforum, and dressing the way I think styleforum would like. (again, subconsciously) I've seen a lot of other people doing this too, CDhagg and I think even if you try to resist it you will try to buy from brands that are SF approved even if you like an item from a non SF approved brand, when really you should just be buying whatever the hell you, personally, like. Going to try and stay off this site for a while man.

On the one hand, I agree. But, on the other hand, you have to look past the accepted norm at something that might be on the (more interesting) fringe. I can still remember coming here from only being exposed to J Crew/Banana Republic and being blown away by some of the things I found through SF. Primarily, it was Mister Freedom at first, and I think I was pretty much the only fan of it on here for a while. But, it fit what I wanted and I found it interesting. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's an 18th C sea captain inside of all of us, man. You just have to find it.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

Many people on this site—myself included—can fall pretty easily into the habit of fetishizing the **** that gets posted here.

like dick ovens

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
where the **** to cop raf shirt

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
it's from 2010 son, your link no worky btw

jaac

Reaction score
In LA from 6th - 8th August and SanFran from 18th-20th if anyone wants to hang out/burg/drink/shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads