• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

there is no remaining responsibility for its meaning on the part of the original author...to insist on textualizing fashion or any other non-textual communication is an unbelievably dismal pursuit in my view, and it is epidemic in the western world. it's literacy become illiteracy. 

Trolling on both fronts, right? I know there's the whole "author's intent doesn't exhaust meaning" idea, but you just took that to a ludicrous extreme, so much so that if it's really what you think, I think you might benefit from hitting those media studies/comp lit/art history 101 courses again

gong

Reaction score
is Alden the go to for entry level shell cordovan ptbs? i have a wedding soon and have always wanted a pair of shell shoes so ...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

is Alden the go to for entry level shell cordovan ptbs? i have a wedding soon and have always wanted a pair of shell shoes so ...

Feel like the market for entry level shoes has really changed in the last five years. "Entry level" today is prob Meermin. They do shell cordo PTBs for like $400-ish, IIRC.

Catch is that they're all GMTOs and you have to wait for the order to come up. And the GMTO fills up within like 5 or 6 hours every time.

The other option is to go Alden factory seconds, which saves you some money. Defects are a little more noticeable than AE factory seconds, but no big deal.

Just go to ShoeMart, sign up for an account, and do a search for "Alden FD" (without the quotes). Shell comes down from $700-ish to $375. Limited sizes and styles, but they get new factory seconds inventory about twice a year -- once in summer and once in winter.

Dicarlo

Reaction score
man I'm so tired of seeing the phrase "has a lot of life left," a hoodie isn't a car where it'll just stop working one day. And I assume the worst that can happen to a sneaker is the sole wearing out. If something actually falls apart then it probably wasn't well constructed in the first place and not due to extended wear.
sameeeeee

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trolling on both fronts, right? I know there's the whole "author's intent doesn't exhaust meaning" idea, but you just took that to a ludicrous extreme, so much so that if it's really what you think, I think you might benefit from hitting those media studies/comp lit/art history 101 courses again

haha i'm the troll? in all earnestness do you have a point to share?

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TFW a package "left NYC" according to USPS over a week ago and still hasn't arrived.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i had a package leave ny to go to stamford and it's out for delivery... o_o;

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had a package bounce between four post offices here for a good three weeks. Decided to be that guy and go to the post office to see what's up and the worker there put on the most spectacular display of deviating any extra work he had to do. He was like a grand master in slacking off. I just left without my package but generally impressed by the guy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Anyone have a recommendation to a good online web designer, by chance? Would be a paying gig. Need help redesigning a site I work for. Prefer someone who's had experience working with fashion-related sites (or related industry, like music or the arts). But any rec would be appreciated.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
@artishard116, see above post by dww

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@artishard116, see above post by dww

@Parker! ^

Thanks, guys!

Actually PM'd Parker a couple of weeks ago and he said he didn't think he'd be the right person for the job (one of the first guys who came to mind). Will PM @artishard116. Didn't know he was a programmer.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

ManitouLA

Reaction score
Hi there,

The loafers will fit true to size or run just slightly big. They don't take too long to break in and they are built with considerable arch support. The Veg-Tanned natural pairs tend to be a bit more stiff to start but create an amazing patina over time. The leather on the black and brown pairs is a bit more soft out the gate and yes, like most shoes, will crease slightly over use. We recommend using shoe trees when they are not on your feet. I have been wearing the same pair for the last two summers and I am yet to re-sole the bottom or replace the heel. And yes, 2120 is my company so of course I am a bit biased but please know that all of our shoes are ethically sourced and produced in a "fair wage" factory. Also, they are currently on sale and supplies are limited.

Hope you get a chance to try them out.

Best

www.2120.us

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads