• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of interesting. A Freakonomics podcast on how the Japanese value new over old, which leads an undervalued market for second-hand goods (including, amazingly, homes)

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why...isposable-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-3/

Maybe that explains why prices for used clothes on YJA and Rakuten are so good?

Unrelated, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good web programmer? Looking for someone to help redesign a website. Would be a paying gig and the pay is (I think) good/ fair. Prefer someone with experience or interest in menswear or similar industries (music, art, etc).

Which is also why there are so many cool houses, because the people with money building them most often only build for the sake of them personally, without having to think much about whether future tenants will appreciate their style-choices affecting the price.

So while the rest of the world generally build houses that will preferably stand around a 100 years with a minimum of 50 years, Japanese houses might only be around for 30 years. This ofcourse is absolutely awful from an enviromental standpoint, but it does allow for an massively wide range of possibilities for new techniques and styles in the world of architecture, pushing it forward.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Which is also why there are so many cool houses, because the people with money building them most often only build for the sake of them personally, without having to think much about whether future tenants will appreciate their style-choices affecting the price.
So while the rest of the world generally build houses that will preferably stand around a 100 years with a minimum of 50 years, Japanese houses might only be around for 30 years. This ofcourse is absolutely awful from an enviromental standpoint, but it does allow for an massively wide range of possibilities for new techniques and styles in the world of architecture, pushing it forward.

Seems like this is only good if you like modern/ contemporary architecture. Maybe my own American biases, but I really like the Colonial, Craftsman, and Georgian architecture in the US. Modern stuff just feels cold to me.

Last edited:

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like this is only good if you like modern/ contemporary architecture. Maybe my own American biases, but I really like the Colonial, Craftsman, and Georgian architecture in the US. Modern stuff just feels cold to me.
It's actually good for everyone. Any of those styles you like are a reasonable economic choice in the US, since there are lot of places where that goes well with the surrounding neighborhood and you're far from alone in liking that style so it won't be an issue getting your money's worth for it in the future even after 50 years.

However, the kind of futuristic spaces built in Japan with moving walls, adaptive living spaces depending on the hour of the day and new ways of insulation, construction and building processes have a far larger potential to lead to a lot of new developments and improvements in architecture as a whole. Parts of this can then in turn be used to build the styles you like in even better and more efficient ways than before.

Not to say there aren't people moving the industry forward in the US as well, but the building industry is a very slow branch that don't like changes all too much. So if you were to commision a house in either of the styles you like, they would most likely be built the same way those types of houses have been built for the past 100-200 years with only small changes in the process and construction.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kind of interesting. A Freakonomics podcast on how the Japanese value new over old, which leads an undervalued market for second-hand goods (including, amazingly, homes)

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/why...isposable-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-3/

Maybe that explains why prices for used clothes on YJA and Rakuten are so good?

Unrelated, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good web programmer? Looking for someone to help redesign a website. Would be a paying gig and the pay is (I think) good/ fair. Prefer someone with experience or interest in menswear or similar industries (music, art, etc).

That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I've got a big box from yahoo Japan waiting to be picked up, snagged a bunch of sugar cane stuff for $10-30$ each.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's actually good for everyone. Any of those styles you like are a reasonable economic choice in the US, since there are lot of places where that goes well with the surrounding neighborhood and you're far from alone in liking that style so it won't be an issue getting your money's worth for it in the future even after 50 years.

However, the kind of futuristic spaces built in Japan with moving walls, adaptive living spaces depending on the hour of the day and new ways of insulation, construction and building processes have a far larger potential to lead to a lot of new developments and improvements in architecture as a whole. Parts of this can then in turn be used to build the styles you like in even better and more efficient ways than before.

Not to say there aren't people moving the industry forward in the US as well, but the building industry is a very slow branch that don't like changes all too much. So if you were to commision a house in either of the styles you like, they would most likely be built the same way those types of houses have been built for the past 100-200 years with only small changes in the process and construction.

Aren't moving walls and adaptive spaces one of the core elements of traditional Japaneses architecture though ?

Strawmanning a bit, there's little doubt that innovative construction and building processes are needed to meet the current and future housing demands etc but let's not kid ourselves, we'll all live in ****** but awesomely insulated white cubes (aka futuristic) before long.

Last edited:

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Outside of Tokyo, renting a house is much cheaper than renting an apartment. I've had friends who have 2000 sq ft multilevel houses cheaper than my 400 sq ft box

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kind of amusing. A 22 year old letter from M. Hand & Co (now Hand & Lock), a hand embroidery company in London. Letter is to Foster & Son, a bespoke shoe company known for their slippers.

I've always wanted to compile a list of stories from bespoke shoemakers and tailors. You'd be surprised how many of them find their clients odd and insufferable. Totally out of touch rich people bumbling their way through life, or just odd balls (frankly like me) who are way too into clothes. Have heard some weird and hilarious stories over the years.

Last edited:

Not Ready

Reaction score
Gents, at some point somebody posted a Margiela jacket that inspired the entire Off-White aesthetic. It had "WHITE" stitched on the back, mirrored IIRC. Can someone please help me find the post?

Thanks in advance!

well, ofc I found it exactly after posting....

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got some washed sugar canes which have fake combs in the back. Otherwise the fit is great and I really like them. You think over time / washes they will eventually fade away?

Side note: yahoo auction people terrible at photography, got a big box from zenmarkt and I was expecting at like 2-3 of these jeans to be ratty and time to be thrown away but they all showed up looking almost new.

Last edited:

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got some washed sugar canes which have fake combs in the back. Otherwise the fit is great and I really like them. You think over time / washes they will eventually fade away?

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/2390140/width/350/height/700[/IMG

Side note: yahoo auction people terrible at photography, got a big box from zenmarkt and I was expecting at like 2-3 of these jeans to be ratty and time to be thrown away but they all showed up looking almost new.[/QUOTE]

Probably not, unless you bleach the jeans to the light color of the combs.

I have some John Elliot jeans from a few years back with fake combs on the back (amongst other fades), they've been washed a lot and they're still clearly there.

They don't look bad if thats what you're worried about. Not really ostentatious looking. I think SF in general doesn't mind pre-faded jeans anymore, as long as its done tastefully. Not like back in the old days when anything that wasn't raw was heresy.

Last edited:

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Probably not, unless you bleach the jeans to the light color of the combs.

I have some John Elliot jeans from a few years back with fake combs on the back (amongst other fades), they've been washed a lot and they're still clearly there.

They don't look bad if thats what you're worried about. Not really ostentatious looking. I think SF in general doesn't mind pre-faded jeans anymore, as long as its done tastefully. Not like back in the old days when anything that wasn't raw was heresy.

Gotcha, thanks. Yea they are well faded by hand sugar canes, everything looks like it would be there with normal wear, pictures threw me as I thought they were for sure used but showed up new.

gong

Reaction score
that leather shirt in the editorial is tempting .. that price tag though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads