• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigOmyD

Reaction score
No offense intended, but does anyone here ever feel ridiculous about buying expensive clothing and wearing it about?

This is coming from someone who came from a lower-class family and I have trouble justifying some of the purchases I make despite having the means to acquire them.
I feel like there's a disconnect between what I'm wearing and the lifestyle I live.

I'm curious to hear why you guys are so heavily invested in clothing and style.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can spend an infinite amount of money on any hobby

100 yrs

Reaction score
Anyone know the sizing for those lucchese Jonah boots mentioned a few pages ago? Snake oil says tts but then they reference vans sizing so I don't trust it.

I also really enjoy the 2016 in review posts. I'll give it a shot but be warned I'm squarely in biz casual dadwear territory:

Fav purchases:
-Brecon chukkas from c&j. One of the few chukkas I can fit with my skinny heels, goes with pretty much everything I like to wear

- masterpiece weekender from nmwa
- ocbds/sport shirts from Sid mashburn. They'll tailor the shirts for you. One of my favorite shops to visit when I travel to see my folks in atl.

Notable low points:
-My kids (I have twin toddlers) managed to put my lock & co rambler in the laundry basket and it got washed. It shrunk. Probably ok because I think I probably looked pretty uncool wearing it.
- ordered some Alden boots from anatomica in Paris. Paid somewhere around $1000 for them. They did not fit well but I tried to make them work, sold at loss on eBay.

Fashion related (?) media that I thought about a lot:
- article in the New Yorker about Patagonia and Yvon Chouinard that I'm pretty sure I found in this thread http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/09/19/patagonias-philosopher-king
-That Oprah doc about Tom ford that put this on posted. Multiple baths per day. Pronunciation of Yves saint laurent. Lot of stuff to chew on.

Best non-Fashion purchase:
Sonos speakers. Easy to set up, so convenient, and sound great to me.

Things I listened to the most in 2016:
Jason isbell, sturgill simpson, Radiohead, a giant dog, William Tyler.

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Review of 2k16 Fashun Lyf:
Purchases I’ve used and enjoyed the most (‘best’ is a metric that I don’t really know how to apply):

Padrone zip boots – Doubling down on footwear in lighter/more neutral shades was encouraged by:
  1. Some great looks on here
  2. My lack of ideas for footwear pairings with outfits
  3. Synthese instilling in me a desire to have (some of) my footwear look like something an off-duty interplanetary bounty hunter might wear
  4. A (somewhat irrational) dislike of laces which has only worsened this year
  5. Not being ready for white(ish) boots yet. But edging ever closer

The boots have a really nice shape to them, with thick and supple leather. Suede will always be my true love, but it’s nice to have something in a smooth leather that doesn’t cause me to think twice when it’s raining (or threatening to do so). The slimmer profile does mean that they don’t work too well with looser trousers (so far), and the colour is definitely shifting more and more to an orange-tan shade despite using a well-matched light saphir cream, but I’ve got a lot of use out of them. And don’t have to tie any laces.

A bunch of stuff from Whistles – British womenswear brand that has been doing men’s stuff for a couple of years now, shares a sense of fun (to an extent) with my favourite Japanese brands. Always find it reliable for quality and knowing which size to go for. It’s still finding its identity, with a split between more playful pieces and boring Mr. Porter-esque ‘essentials’ (which, admittedly, probably pay the bills from the menswear side of things), but it’s just nice to have a brand which I don’t need a proxy for and always enjoy what I buy from it (good sales and leaving sale stock online all year round also helps).

Blue Blue Japan patterned trousers – They’re comfortable, a gentle first enabler for the world of (ever so slightly) looser fitting trousers and the pattern is quite hard to discern out of sunlight, which makes it my fun, dirty indigo secret.

A Kind of Guise waffle jacket – Described by my GF as something that an old headmistress would wear whilst roaming a private school’s halls (?), it has nonetheless survived that scathing judgement and been doing some great German magical things. Namely, being not all that thick and made out of cotton, but still weirdly warm and allowing for just a t-shirt to be worn underneath it in winter. When I first tried it on I thought it looked a bit ‘frumpy’, and that was probably accurate, but the most important thing is that the lining is patterned with sewn outlines of leaves and acorns, leading to great Autumn Synergy
2122.png
in the latter part of the year.

Honourable mentions – Margiela yak wool knit, CP slip-ons (nice light shade, but the waxed suede isn’t as nice or thick as normal versions), ESK zipped jumper thing, Reiss bomber (boring, but I will never have anything else that fits me so well).

‘Misses’ - Geller leather jacket - struggled to pair things with the shade of black and cropped fit. Basically, it was probably too cool for me.

Stephan Schneider knit and shirt – Observation knit picked up from Other Shop, beautiful colour and details but as time went on I wasn’t a fan of its felt-like feel and the fact that I needed something in-between the IV that I had and a V which was too big. Shirt was a really lovely snow flannel, but I was just hoarding it, as I tend to do with nicer white things, presumably due to a subconscious belief that, despite being pretty normal on the physiology side of things, a sudden release of a jam-mud mixture of sweat would forever despoil it.

Visvim Virgils – I’ve lusted after a pair in sand suede for a long time, but picked up a brand new pair from Yahoo for super cheap in black. They were nice, but slimmer than I had expected, and it was one of those early moments I’m sure a lot of you have had, where the internet mystique goes and what you’re left with is nice, but not matching what you had (unrealistically) built it up to be.

2017 Resolute Resolutions
Get more Remi Relief. I go through phases where I want to be sleek and/or ‘grown up’, garbed in Schneider or Margiela or Dries, causing onlookers to feel like they’re staring into an endless, consuming vortex of texture, subtle details and refined taste. But every time I look at goofy stuff like Remi/Kapital/Needles/Niche or some of EG’s prints, I realise more that that’s what I actually want to wear, rather than be seen wearing. And that’s probably more important.

If this post was a bit dry to read through, just say and I’ll go grab some random K-Pop gifs from google.

TheObserver

Reaction score
do you have stock photos or link of those Blue Blue trousers? I don't think I have seen them although I keep close watch on the brand.

Last edited:

MaiLam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

do you have stock photos or link of those Blue Blue trousers? I don't think I have seen them although I keep close watch on the brand.

No sorry, even the Yoox picture was wrong. Closest I could find at the time was some trousers in like a grid/square pattern, but the fabric looked a bit different on them. If it helps, here's the label, maybe with the model number?

baltimoron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Balti's Best and Worst of 2016

Obligatory christmas kpop mood music:
0.jpg

Best outerwear purchase: Document winter parka. Living in Boston, there comes a point in December up until late March where your only concern is not freezing on the sidewalk as you wait for the train. It's like wearing a down comforter and whenever I hand my parka to a coat check I always get a comment about how it's the heaviest coat they've ever handled.

Best footwear purchase: Heschung arum derbies. We've had a lot of discussion about black derbies this year, and these are the perfect pair for me. Pebble grain, rubber sole, and slightly rounder last. Trying to figure out sizing for new brands can be a real pain, and I'm happy that I can keep coming back to Heschung for shoes. They're a favorite of mine.

Best boring purchase: GRP bubble roll necks. Willy got me to try them out and now I wear my black roll neck with just about everything. They're soft and warm and easy to layer. Pretty much all I want in the winter.

Favorite SF thread: RFT , where else?

Favorite store: NMWA. Seriously, I'm surprised with the stuff they find every year. Cool stuff is literally always around the corner.

Worst purchase: nonnative side zips. Cool boots and I know we've discussed where to find / replacements for them, but went true instead of sizing down and they didn't go that well with how I dress

Other things I'm thankful for:

Y!JP : This was the year that I really went off the deep end for yahoo japan auctions. There's just something really fun to me about searching out old clothes. I was pretty young when Lang and Margiela were putting out great collections in the late 90's and early 2000's so getting the opportunity to experience that now a bit later has been nice. It's also great for finding cool Dries clothes that don't get stocked in the states.

SF users: Started to PM other members for advice about purchases and to share random Yjp finds and it's been really enjoyable talking to people. I hope eventually I'll get to meet some more people in person whenever I'm in their home cities.

Happy holidays everyone!

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Merry Christmas to all you style farmers!

Wtf am I doing on the internet on Christmas morning?!

I'm checking the forum before going downstairs to see what Santa brought. Apparently, we were reasonably nice at my place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members