• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyriverz

Reaction score
I saw that Simon Doonan is writing a series of articles for Slate called "Getting It Right," the concept of which is to broadly categorize contemporary male fashion into five archetypes. Yes I know it's Slate, so there's an inherently click-baity quality to it, and it does not go into depth about any of the archetypes sufficient to satisfy people like us, but I like Doonan's style, which is very arch and does not take itself too seriously.

Three of the five "tribes" have been written about so far:

1) The Perverse Prepster:
Quote:
2) The Arty Ninja:
Quote:
3) The Dedicated Follower of Satin:
Quote:
Personally, I find myself in the "Arty Ninja" tribe during the F/W seasons (a lot of Yohji and Rick) and "Dedicated Follower of Satin" tribe in the S/S seasons (a lot of florals and Dries and prints)

Anyways, not to be taken too seriously, but a fun diversion.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headed to Denver in late June, would appreciate any recs as far as museums, food, craft beer or any other cool stuff. Uncle Ramen & Denver Biscuit Company any good?

I'm also looking to spend 2 days checking out some of the scenery so I'll be renting a car and driving around. So far I've heard Lost Lake near Boulder is worth a visit, any other places? Not looking to go on an epic hike or anything, just some places with great natural scenery.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anywhere outside of Denver... Evergreen is close and cool but also kinda kitschy. Red rocks obv.
If you have a full day then the sand dunes (iirc it's like 4 hour drive from Denver). Basically just head for the mountains.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really liked the Clyfford Still Museum in downtown Denver. (And it's right by a few other museums, though I didn't go to those.)

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love wearing jeans, all other types of pants are inferior

I like wool pants as much as the next guy as long as it has a true medium to high rise, but comfortable jeans are hard to beat. I'm hoping Lemaire stays true to his pattern and the straight fit denim has a comfortable seat. It is a bit redundant as I also ordered this seasons denim (chambray) Elasticated Waist pants, too. But lately I've been falling back in love with blue...and Levi's was not cutting it for me. I hate the high standards I put on myself..

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If this seasons chambray are like last summers then they are awesome (they look the same), but it took a few washes to get the stiffness out so they drape well.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Headed to Denver in late June, would appreciate any recs as far as museums, food, craft beer or any other cool stuff. Uncle Ramen & Denver Biscuit Company any good?

I'm also looking to spend 2 days checking out some of the scenery so I'll be renting a car and driving around. So far I've heard Lost Lake near Boulder is worth a visit, any other places? Not looking to go on an epic hike or anything, just some places with great natural scenery.

How long will you be here? The beer is OK/pretty good, as is the food. I imagine that between me and @Noctone we can find you some decent recommendations depending on where you're staying. Cocktail/club scene is unbearable, but since you want beer that's much more pleasant.

I happen to like the Botanic gardens, and the art museum is worth checking before you arrive just in case.

If you want a nice day trip I would drive up to Indian Peaks wilderness and hike to Lake Isabelle. Not epic, but you'll work. It is really, really beautiful. Ignore Lost Lake - Boulder's not really worth it for a day trip either, although the flatirons and Chatauqua are pretty. Rocky Mountain will probably be pretty crowded, unfortunately - so unless you plan to hike and camp it's kind of a pain. I don't really get why anyone would go to Evergreen.

Only store to check out is Lawrence Covell, which has a good men's section with CM stuff (so does Andrisen Morton, but it's not as fun a store) and also a nice women's section if a woman is accompanying you.

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Need a white shirt for a wedding, I'm thinking Kamakura but does anyone have any suggestions?

Looking for:

• Taller, more pointed collar
  • MOP buttons
  • Slim but not skinny
  • $150 or so

Thanks!

VitaTimH

Reaction score
Kamakura was the first place I checked, unfortunately most of what suited me was sold out. They use a lot of twill, too.

I'll check out Everlane. Thanks!

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Tangentially related question: I'm going to a wedding soon. I'm planning on wearing a slightly textured silk-blend suit that's sort of a medium blue with a little grey mixed in and has a relatively modern cut. I was planning on going with a white shirt and no tie. Here's the rub: the only white shirt I own is an oxford cloth button-down.

Is it acceptable to wear either a) oxford cloth or b) a button-down 1) with the suit I described and 2) to a wedding? I can 500% guarantee that I'll be the only person at the wedding who would give this more than 5 seconds of thought or take any note of what I'm wearing beyond "not pantsless", so it's really just to satisfy my own neuroses.

If none of the above, what collar should I go with, spread or cutaway? I'm assuming I'm ok going with anything in the realm of broadcloth / poplin / pinpoint if oxford is no bueno.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine.

I generally wear an odd linen, wool, or cotton jacket, cream, ivory, or oatmeal trousers, and an open button down collar seersucker, linen, or looser oxford weave shirt to summer weddings that don't specify a more conservative dress code

Last edited:

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

You'll be fine.

I generally wear an odd linen, wool, or cotton jacket, cream, ivory, or oatmeal trousers, and an open button down collar seersucker, linen, or looser oxford weave shirt to summer weddings that don't specify a more conservative dress code

Thanks, that does a great deal to put my mind at ease. Remarkably, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm over-thinking the matter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads