• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably nothing. I just end up getting tilted at something every time. Like having my deposit automatically refunded without warning before I was able to pay for shipping so now I get bled for more fees as I have to deposit the same money again. Last time I paid them like $30 or $35 or something to remove the tags on my order because I was marking items down as they came through customs here. They were happy to charge me the money, but didn't remove any tags so I got killed by customs and then it was like pulling teeth to get them to refund the charge. There was something else another time as well that had to do with the packing that I don't remember.

That's weird. Are you in the US? I've never had problems with customs & tags (EMS).

What do you mean you're getting bled for more fees? Fees should be refunded if your deposit gets refunded.

Just trying to figure it out- not trying to say you're wrong or anything. I use FromJapan a lot and have been pretty happy, but would be happy to change to ZenMarket if FJ is bein dumpy. Only reason I stay with FromJapan is the loyalty program.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
I've just made first order from Zen, it's much much cheaper. Service is about as fast, I found. Time to switch over my watch list.

This is the breakdown (although the 5% is inflated because it's a more expensive item but it weighs less than a sweater so shipping should in theory be less)

Sweater using Zen:
300 yen commission
1600 yen shipping domestic & international

Long shirt using FJ:
200 yen commission, 5% system usage fee = 2010
3,042 yen shipping domestic & international + bank transfer fee + 5% system usage fee

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll give Zen another try then. I have ordered from them before and it didn't seem much cheaper, but after reviewing the fees and commissions versus From Japan, it does look to be cheaper.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about ordering something from Japan for the first time... If it's on Rakuten and they ship international, is there any benefit of using Zen or are they solely used for purchasing goods not on Rakuten?
Solely for goods from stores that will not ship internationally. Or if you really enjoy waiting AND not racking up points that can go towards future sales. i.e. no, there is no good reason.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've just made first order from Zen, it's much much cheaper. Service is about as fast, I found. Time to switch over my watch list.

This is the breakdown (although the 5% is inflated because it's a more expensive item but it weighs less than a sweater so shipping should in theory be less)

Sweater using Zen:
300 yen commission
1600 yen shipping domestic & international

Long shirt using FJ:
200 yen commission, 5% system usage fee = 2010
3,042 yen shipping domestic & international + bank transfer fee + 5% system usage fee

welp guess its time to switch

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I mostly still think of Reebok as a prime Double Dare sponsor. Paging @noob in 89
When it comes to late '80s/early '90s sneaker sponsors, I defer to BK Knights.

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'll give Zen another try then. I have ordered from them before and it didn't seem much cheaper, but after reviewing the fees and commissions versus From Japan, it does look to be cheaper.

I looked into Zen's fees when they first started and you're right, they were only cheaper for items ~$200usd or greater being that Zen uses a constant rather than percentage based fee. Seems like they lowered that fee or FJ has raised their's since then.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I hear Reebok, all I can think about is that Belly's Gonna Get Ya ad from the late 90's-early 00's.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's weird. Are you in the US? I've never had problems with customs & tags (EMS).

What do you mean you're getting bled for more fees? Fees should be refunded if your deposit gets refunded.

Just trying to figure it out- not trying to say you're wrong or anything. I use FromJapan a lot and have been pretty happy, but would be happy to change to ZenMarket if FJ is bein dumpy. Only reason I stay with FromJapan is the loyalty program.

Not in the U.S.

I assumed that they double charged me, but I guess you could be right. So, for example I want to bid on an auction and I deposit $200. My winning bid is $100. So I have $100 left over sitting in my account. By the time the item is delivered to fromjapan, and I fill out the shipping instructions, they pack the thing and send me the charge form, my $100 has been refunded back to my credit card. This is really annoying, because I have paid a conversion fee to go from USD to JPY, and now it refunded back to USD, and I have to deposit AGAIN to JPY to pay for the shipping. In addition, they charge a 5% fee on credit card deposits. But are you saying that they don't charge that fee if the money is automatically refunded? So the orignal $200 deposit did not have the 5% fee taken out? They only take the fee for the amount used for the bid?

It's all really confusing, and I just always feel like I have to be on guard with them. Like how the packing choice defaults to "light packing". Well, that's the default and who wouldn't want that? Of course there's a fee for "light packing" and if you want plain ole "regular packing" you have to change the selection. Last time I ended up paying for light packing just because I didn't notice. Of course, there was no packing to remove since it was just one item so they basically charged a fee for nothing, which is the same thing they did with the tags. That really incensed me how they replied to that whole situation. They completely dropped the ball and acted like I didn't really deserve a refund at first and made me take photos of the stuff. Anyway...

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The fee isn't charged when you deposit the money, just when you pay for it in Charge 1 & 2 (which means that you only pay 5% on the total amount used for the bid). Whenever it's released to you, the currency exchange fee from the CC should be refunded as well, at least I'm pretty sure that's how it works for me, though your CC company/bank may do it differently due to the yen conversion. I'm sure there's a reason why they release CC deposits quicker than Paypal or whatever, but not sure.

As for the "light packaging one", I've never had to switch it from that to the regular packing. I just did my shipping instructions this morning and didn't have to switch, so that's strange that it's the default for you.

Either way, you should try out Zen Market if you're unhappy with From Japan. For me I've been pretty happy with it in the US, but the fees seem to be getting a bit high so I will probably be switching permanently now. At this point the loyalty program isn't worth it if Zen is as cheap as the number suggest currently.

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
truly a rft: I've been seeing pictures of a1923 oxfords pop up on social media, and just thinking man I should just buy a pair of Carmina wholecuts and wear them in good health

ShoutOutsFoMyBo

Reaction score
i can't remember what i ate yesterday but i know my entire wardrobe from memory along with fabric composition and country of origin details

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
remember when everyone was creaming over Gyakusou? What happened to that hype

That said if anyone has a leaf print jacket from a while back in S holla

Sometimes I look in my closet and wonder what I'm doing with my life

You know how occasionally you forgot something really cool existed that you wanted really bad in the past but then find it again and then have a soul crushing realization that you still can't have it? Paul Harnden bird shirts are my bane

One of my Gitman Vintage shirts have misaligned buttons somehow. They were aligned when I bought them, but now they're all off by an inch or something. I don't even know how that happens

Speaking of that shirt, it's corduroy and it ******* sucks and sticks to everything. I can barely put on a jacket while wearing that shirt

I've been wearing Levi's commuters for months straight and I'm pretty sure they're the best things I've gotten for $30. The crotch reinforcement is so dope and the fabric actually looks and feels nice

The other day I was riding my bike while wearing my EG long shirt and got mistaken as a woman multiple times because of my long hair and beautifully light fabric shirt

Does anyone still wear Thom Browne?

I remember when I was really into Thom Browne. ******* Scott M, think I bought into his godamn kool-aid

I've figured out that I'm a pretty big brand whore, but for brands that don't ******* matter. Like who really cares about Cosmic Wonder or Nonnative? They're not that cool. The only people who think it's cool are you nerds. Everyone else just thinks I'm some pretentious Japanese loving dick

I was visiting my mom the other week and found my old navy Sebago deck boots that I bought many, many years ago when I really wanted Rogues Gallery deck boots and couldn't afford them. They're still as ugly as ever. I think I'm going to plant sunflowers in them to counteract the sinful ugliness that those boots bring upon the world

Sometimes I like to go into J. Crew and just stand there for 10 minutes cause all the stores smell like new socks and I'm not sure there's a better smell than "new sock smell"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads