• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It's not even summer here yet and I'm melting, what the hell do people wear in hot, humid environments?

I'll trade you it's 10c windy and rain here.

I seriously thought about getting my gloves out the closet the other night.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

did 4-5 trips that included a unusual amount of fine dining, over a period of what, two years? That's certainly out of reach for most people, even those living in developed countries but I think what followed is making us take this out of proportion.

Slightly Toj related, but if you (co)own a restaurant, you can expense restaurant visits as research, so they essentially cost 0.

Last edited:

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@thatoneguy I like options 3 and 4 the best but they have issues with implementation (some people might not have anyone to pose with for a photo and some people might not have a dynamic wardrobe that reflects multiple styles). Basic, generic challenges seem to get more participation (e.g. long coats, suits, denim).

@nicelynice I wonder which item you'd choose to style two ways.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polar opposites is cool.
I'm sure a lot of people have diverse wardrobes so something like "alter ego" might be hard since people (or atleast I) already wear all sorts of possible combinations, but you could still make two very contrasting outfits if you wanted.

Last edited:

Landscape

Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 how surprised was the people you told about buying it, when it arrived?
Haha, only my mom was quite surprised as she had kept wanting me to get a new backpack (the one I had was pretty broken) thinking I'd never get the TOJ. I hadn't really gone about telling people about my backpack purchase, but maybe I should've considering the legacy TOJ will have.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait....Drew scammed people out of their orders?!?

Leave for a few months, what a weird thing to return to

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TOJ pieces are cool and all, but they seem to cause a great deal more frustration than they're worth. Not sure I'll ever understand the obsession...

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

I need ideas for new challenge!
A few I have:

1. Polar Opposites- Same wardrobe, 2 clearly distinct styles (bonus pts for same pieces styled differently)
cons: requires 2 fits.

2. Another Brick in the Wall- match your wall (have we done this?)
2.1 Another Rick in the Wall (from my typo) -Dick Ovens challenge

3. It Takes Two- Dual person challenge w/ significant other/ dog/ mom/ brother/ imaginary friend

4. Alter Ego- Dress as your evil twin, or, dress as your nice polite twin would

5. RIP TOJ challenge

What do you think

I am thou and thou art I: interpret your avatar as a fit

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I want to get a decent quality, relatively plain ball cap to wear this summer. Ervell would be ideal but is out of my price range.  Honestly like the MFA x Ebbets cap but hate the font on that M.  Tried on a Baldwin cap while I was in KC that was okay but I wasn't that crazy about.

Any suggestions? 

I just got an indigo-dyed sashiko cap from The Hill-Side that I'm pretty happy with. It has a soft brim (no internal reinforcement) that's on the smaller side, so it's not 100% equivalent to a normal basebal cap. Also, if you like the Ebbets cap other tan the M, you might be able to take it out with a seam ripper (at least if it's a patch rather than embroidery). I've done this with a Norse Projects cap, and it was pretty easy.

I need ideas for new challenge!
A few I have:

1. Polar Opposites- Same wardrobe, 2 clearly distinct styles (bonus pts for same pieces styled differently)
cons: requires 2 fits.

2. Another Brick in the Wall- match your wall (have we done this?)
2.1 Another Rick in the Wall (from my typo) -Dick Ovens challenge

3. It Takes Two- Dual person challenge w/ significant other/ dog/ mom/ brother/ imaginary friend

4. Alter Ego- Dress as your evil twin, or, dress as your nice polite twin would

5. RIP TOJ challenge

What do you think

I've come to accept that I'll probably never win a SW&D challenge (just being realistic), so I'm willing to share my idea for the best / worst challenge of all time:

"Polo shirts: Because **** you all"

Two rules:

- Must be an actual polo (no ruggers, pop-overs, collared sweaters, &c.).
- Layering is allowed, but full placket exposure is required.

I figure it's kind of a gimme for @RegisDB9, but I'd be interested to see what people come up with.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Polo shirts: Because **** you all"

Two rules:

- Must be an actual polo (no ruggers, pop-overs, collared sweaters, &c.).
- Layering is allowed, but full placket exposure is required.

I figure it's kind of a gimme for @RegisDB9 , but I'd be interested to see what people come up with.
I like this suggestion, but it would probably result in 10 or less entries so I have another idea:

SW&D Niche Team Challenge
We come up with 4-5 different categories that all have to be pretty niche and unique (for example like the above suggestion)
Each category gets a corresponding team, and people simply write in the thread which team if any they'd like to join.
People could also suggest new teams if they want to as long as they're also unique/niche/fun.
First come first serve and let's say each team should be 3 members, not less and not more.
After the teams have been decided they all get 3 weeks to coordinate with eachother if they wish to and also take their pics.

Then we have a voting thread like usual, just with the difference that instead of a single fit you'll vote for a trio of them.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll trade you it's 10c windy and rain here.

I seriously thought about getting my gloves out the closet the other night.
That is pretty much my favorite weather. I like 15C better, but I'll take 10 over 21+ any time.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The windchill was around 5c, I don't mind it as long as its dry, but it had been raining for 2 weeks straight.

15C or a dry cold like minus 10 and no wind.

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score

I like this suggestion, but it would probably result in 10 or less entries so I have another idea:

SW&D Niche Team Challenge
We come up with 4-5 different categories that all have to be pretty niche and unique (for example like the above suggestion)
Each category gets a corresponding team, and people simply write in the thread which team if any they'd like to join.
People could also suggest new teams if they want to as long as they're also unique/niche/fun.
First come first serve and let's say each team should be 3 members, not less and not more.
After the teams have been decided they all get 3 weeks to coordinate with eachother if they wish to and also take their pics.

Then we have a voting thread like usual, just with the difference that instead of a single fit you'll vote for a trio of them.

I think the team thing, while a cool idea, might be a little difficult to pull off in practice.

er, keep it simple 

Seriously. Polo shirts. Because **** you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads