• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

man I'm so tired of seeing the phrase "has a lot of life left," a hoodie isn't a car where it'll just stop working one day. And I assume the worst that can happen to a sneaker is the sole wearing out. If something actually falls apart then it probably wasn't well constructed in the first place and not due to extended wear.

Things do eventually happen, lining ripped, stitching undone, fabric pilling, leather looking worn as ****, hardware missing, etc. Still useable I guess, but subjective.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Things do eventually happen, lining ripped, stitching undone, fabric pilling, leather looking worn as ****, hardware missing, etc. Still useable I guess, but subjective.
But "has a lot of life left" is just a euphemism for "beat to ****". I advocate beating your own **** to death, but I'm not going to buy someone else's beat up ****. Maybe vintage stuff to get cues from, but to wear? Not so much. I suppose that I'd buy a 60s moto jacket if it was in decent condition and in a color that is impossible to get now even custom.

Raindrop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But "has a lot of life left" is just a euphemism for "beat to ****".  I advocate beating your own **** to death, but I'm not going to buy someone else's beat up ****.  Maybe vintage stuff to get cues from, but to wear?  Not so much.  I suppose that I'd buy a 60s moto jacket if it was in decent condition and in a color that is impossible to get now even custom.

Ya, too many people post beatup to **** clothing and justify it with "tons of life left." Just saying clothing does have a lifespan from wear and tear.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know where is @jet? I would like buy some tees

I really like the AA tri-blend tee but they do not have a white color the closest being an off-white. I am looking for something in a boxy cut with crew neck. I really cannot be spending $400+ on a Lemaire henley or t-shirt.

Also, who makes denim in a high rise 19cm cut nowadays? I like my pair of Levi's but the hem is too narrow when wearing with boots. @Synthese has some cool jeans but I think they are old APC denim. I remember the New Standard having close to a 19cm but the rise is ridiculously low. Uniqlo bottoms are also all low rise for the most part, or t he rise is great but legs too narrow.

Just looking for some denim for the summer to beat around in, raw denim, wash denim, would prefer a dark and light color pair.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I regret following @kgfan5 on instagram. It always makes me feel a little bad for getting/trying to get jacked. :embar:

rms340

Reaction score

I really like the AA tri-blend tee but they do not have a white color the closest being an off-white. I am looking for something in a boxy cut with crew neck. I really cannot be spending $400+ on a Lemaire henley or t-shirt.

Check out their power washed tee. I have a few of the AA tri-blends and picked up one one of the power washed tees recently. Unfortunately, I like the fit of the power wash more, but I prefer the fabric on the tri-blends. Such is life.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the recs

I receive 3Sixteen emails all the time but never gave them a thorough review. Will check them out.

I feel the same way about the AA power wash tee. I too ordered some and quickly threw them away. =\

I want a thick jersey material that is averse to wrinkling or will loosen up with wear like the AA tri-blend, and is soft. Such a thing?

edit:
I picked up a Nike tee from their made in Italy collection and was just perfect. Thick, soft, and did not wrinkle.

Similar to this:
03-09-2012_nsw_doublehemtee_black_large11.jpg

Last edited:

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Someone know what the Joyce tag is about?

I've seen other pics that have a Made in Italy tag there.

Mine has nothing except the Jil Sander.

Joyce is a cool store though, maybe they did a special order. The Joyce outlet is probably my favorite place to shop in HK.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, who makes denim in a high rise 19cm cut nowadays? I like my pair of Levi's but the hem is too narrow when wearing with boots. @Synthese has some cool jeans but I think they are old APC denim. I remember the New Standard having close to a 19cm but the rise is ridiculously low. Uniqlo bottoms are also all low rise for the most part, or t he rise is great but legs too narrow.

Just looking for some denim for the summer to beat around in, raw denim, wash denim, would prefer a dark and light color pair.

patrik ervell standard t's are p4p best t-shirts around. beefy fabric, boxy cut.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just saw a photo of @kgfan5

Will give Voidthebrand a try again. The cotton to modal mix seems pretty good. Sizing is always an issue though and I always try to account for shrinking in the dryer.

Moonchild

Reaction score
Speaking of DH, I'm still waiting for KVA to leave.

Hmm, I kinda dig both the SS2015 and AW 2016 actually (back to the "classic" DH look) . . .
Not sure if he's the one to blame for somewhat average collections or the "fashion trends" lately (wearing ugly ass running sneakers with suits, exaggerated boxy coats, etc.)
The question is : who's gonna do better at Dior Homme if KVA leaves, without f***ing up the original DH DNA? I surely don't want Dior Homme to become SLP 2
(I do understand a brand has to evolve with the current "trends" but the SLP thing was so radical ...)

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Check out their power washed tee. I have a few of the AA tri-blends and picked up one one of the power washed tees recently. Unfortunately, I like the fit of the power wash more, but I prefer the fabric on the tri-blends. Such is life.

Seconding this. Power wash is the perfect boxy cut in a thick jersey fabric

edit: any pure cotton is gonna wrinkle a bit, gotta get a fabric blend, and none of those have the thickness of a pure cotton jersey that I've found

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Perhaps I am folding my tees wrong then.

I usually just wash and dry then toss them in my bin. But I find that folding it leaves a cross faintly imprinted at the chest/stomach of the tee. Especially when you got stacks of tees piled up.

Maybe I just buy some premium tees and hang them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads