• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cathy is in open warfare against the industry

This is the crux, right? She's probably the most vocal critic of an industry that has otherwise gone unnoticed and unscrutinized for most of its existence. No one likes being criticized, especially when they've been very profitable while doing whatever they want.

Shah asked:

are you suggesting that data scientists are opposed to transparency?

and I would say that most data scientists aren't opposed to it as many just don't even care about it, or hadn't thought about it before, and find making it a priority cumbersome. Of those who do, many have bosses who don't. Cathy values equality, transparency, and justice and those define her perspective, just as her critics have other values that informs their perspective. Yeah Cathy probably thinks her opponents are morally corrupt, and while you could say that she's over-exuberant about it she is right in that it is not merely a technical disagreement but a moral one. Take a company like Faception:

upload_2017-11-8_14-14-9.png

Regardless of how you want to define "data scientists", numerical literacy doesn't help if there's divergent opinions that using facial recognition to profile people is wrong. An analogy would be that while we can argue about what nuclear detonators work best, and how to classify the engineers on the teams that build them, the larger question is whether we should have nukes at all.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OTOH if someone could reverse-engineer FICO the bureaus would probably be interested in knowing about that, because even they don't really understand, necessarily, why a particular history results in a particular score—lots of these models are black boxes to the people who create them, too. Not for nothing is ML called the high-interest credit card of technical debt.

The bureaus have their own credit score to compete with FICO: https://www.experian.com/assets/consumer-information/product-sheets/vantagescore-3.pdf

No one uses it really because despite being cheaper (and arguably better) everyone who uses credit scores in underwriting uses FICO, has used FICO forever, and doesn't want to change. (Though that won't last forever.)

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aren't machine learners the new programmers? Don't you guys get recruited by Amazon and Alibaba for NBA money?

Some, yeah.

vcrash

Reaction score
Those, especially, don't look like they'd be worth whatever upcharge RO would imply - maybe look at some of the Dries Van Noten lug-sole chelseas or even RM Williams/Blundstone?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
This threak has turned into find urbancomposition some boots he'll be satisfied with.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed all the details of the current Grailed fiasco (and I don't think I got any emails from them even though I have a couple of things for sale), so can somebody just tell me whether buying and/or selling still works or not?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was sold on the Sophnet x Danner boots from the start. Anyone know a reliable place I can proxy them?

Landau

Reaction score
FICO is literally a black box algorithm that companies who use it are contractually forbidden from trying to unlock or reverse engineer. Most of the data scientists I know from school and work with professionally are douchebags who either think their models capture objective truth or are openly disdainful of their clients who are "too dumb to understand their work." Many I know *hate Cathy O'Neil.

To be more precise, I think there's a lot of data scientists who are pretty arrogant in the pursuit of their work, and for every one who works at google and pushes their code on git there's another two working in like intelligence or education consulting who's building a black box for their PE owners to sell to municipalities or school boards with zero oversight or accountability.

To be fair, most people I know at google/facebook/microsoft/etc are also pretty arrogant in pursuit of their work (although they are more low-key about it), and the vast majority of what they do is also under some form of NDA/noncompete/garden leave kind of deal. More than that, I think data science is exactly the kind of field AI will conquer easily (as opposed to other things I think AI can never really capture barring some huge advancement in Algos that I don't know about/haven't happened yet); the exact thing AI's are good at are teasing out small, nuanced relationships between massive data sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads