• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Nyarlathotep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Half of it really great, the other half seems very trend driven.

This, I liked some of the footwear and jewelry, nice trousers too.

11810007TJ_16_rp.jpg

13417670FQ_16_fp.jpg

50237428MF_16_fp.jpg

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first heard "colorway" in like 2008/2009 but then, I wasn't really paying attention before then

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a non-native English speaker who didn’t really read much English 10+ years ago, I guess the word has always been there for me and I probably overuse it. :)

There was a frequent poster in the artisanal stuff thread that had a band called Colorway, no?

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the 2019 version of Isaora? Looking for outerwear that’s got the technical details right, minimal branding, and isn’t something you’ll see on every tech bro (like Arcteryx or Patagonia).

Jonas251

Reaction score
it’s interesting because I feel almost the opposite. They do release retros in OG colors all the time and in massive quantities. The 11 bred coming next week are going to flood a market where a lot of Nike customers don’t even think about whether they like a colorway or not, they just want it because it’s an original color. It bugs me TBH. Nike has been coming up with tons of great colors for retro models (often better than OG) but the “collector” mentality seems stronger than people’s own taste. They barely look at them, they want them because they’re OG colors.

I think most of the allure around jordans is the whole "be like mike" thing. People want the shoes that he made history in. The shoes that he didn't wear in a meaningful way (any jordan after 14) are not very desirable, nor are color iterations that he did not wear. A lot of Jordan PE (player editions, ie shoes that they customize for a specific player, and by customize I mean a color-way matching that players team colors) are incredibly desirable and people pay pretty exorbitant prices for them. It was all about the connection between the shoe and athletic accomplishments. I think at this point though, most of the consumers (or a lot of them) weren't old enough to watch mike play and are more concerned with clout than accomplishment, which is why the new wave is all designer/rapper colabs (such as the Dior jordan 1's, the cactus jack ****, the virgil ****).

I also think that people need to understand the way jordan brand became part of a specific African American experience in the US. The shoes are cultural objects to a certain extent, and the history, value, understanding of the shoe has been developed over a few generations. If you’re a middle aged white dude who doesn’t have a relationship with that history, the whole thing will appear arbitrary and bizarre, as cultural products tend to appear to those not familiar with the importance and history of the item to the specific group of people.

I think the issue is that ppl are focusing more on aesthetic than on cultural value.

I think from a purely aesthetic standpoint, Jordan’s are kinda meh. I mean the Jordan 1 is essentially a slimmer dunk.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What’s the 2019 version of Isaora? Looking for outerwear that’s got the technical details right, minimal branding, and isn’t something you’ll see on every tech bro (like Arcteryx or Patagonia).
I like Vollebak, and recently bought their "Indestructible puffer'" (https://www.vollebak.com/product/indestructible-puffer/) which looks pretty great on. They are definitely much more technically minded then Isaora, and the materials and make quality are also a few tiers above.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dang. I did not realize I need that jacket. That's incredible.
And it fits great. Also has toggle tightener at the waisnt and vekcro tiightener at the wrists. It really is a technical jacket that could easily be used for outdoor pursuits that is just also super tough. It's expensive - abput 2x the price of most better ski jackets, but if you compare it to designer versions of technical clothing, it's not even close. Something like Loro Piana's storn system is many multples of the same price.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And it fits great. Also has toggle tightener at the waisnt and vekcro tiightener at the wrists. It really is a technical jacket that could easily be used for outdoor pursuits that is just also super tough. It's expensive - abput 2x the price of most better ski jackets, but if you compare it to designer versions of technical clothing, it's not even close. Something like Loro Piana's storn system is many multples of the same price.

I'm really impressed by the specs and I love how it looks. I'm tempted to grab one as an "investment" piece since it really does seem like it'll last forever. Although our winters are generally pretty mild (rarely hitting below 30 degrees), I do spend a decent amount of time outdoors and I travel to Eastern Europe usually at least once a year.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volebak's a bit heavy on the hype side, but being a brand from a couple of ex admen, it makes sense. Yes, a Dyneema insulated jacket is cool and that price seems actually fair. But their copy is bit too heavy on the gee whiz gadget side for me. Still, interesting pieces in themselves and they certainly are breaking out of the same old same old from the technical outdoor world.

Another brand that's probably a bit slept on or unknown is Goldwin (TNF purple label and Nanamica parent label) is now selling in North America. Apparently have a shop in SF just opened a couple of weeks ago. https://usshop.goldwin-sports.com/collections/men-coats/#page2

Snowpeak, I think has developed a very nice line of apparel: https://snowpeak.com/collections/outerwear-1

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Descente ALLTERRAIN has a few decent pieces out, and branding is slightly reduced compared to mainline. I've been impressed with Mammut's new urban stuff but they over brand their gear a bit too much for my tastes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait, is this brand legit Fok? Holy shoot, it's right up my alley. Might just have found my new obsession.
100% legit. Or at least, I've been satisfied with my gear. I do wish that they had multiple inseams for their pants, stuff like that, but it is hard for a small brand to do. I don't go for every single thing that they do, but both the 100 year pants and the Dyneema down jacket speak to me.

I would say that functionally, it's about 1000x more functional than my Snowpeak clothing, which looks cool, but is much more suited to chilling around the fireplace than being in the actual outdoors.

I feel that the Mammut Urban line, and the Descente Allterrain, while fine, are much in the vein of Veillance - somehow the pieces end up being more expensive their mainline stuff, while at the same time being less durable and functional, like, in the case of Veillance, softshell pants without the very important zipped pockets.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TecnoterGroup