• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
Even that dude. I think that the problem with NYC is that it is so crowded that people feel the need to differentiate.. so hard. Same goes for stores, often. It's so curated, for the lack of a better word, that it feels very inorganic, plastic, at the same time boring and overly loud, like an outdated concept hotel.

I know that not everyone dresses this way, but it's prevalent enough for me to get bored immediately. Maybe it's just a function of me being in fashion for so long now. I much prefer the truly idiosyncratic, done poorly, or simple things done well, than the same old, same old, fashion people all doing it the same, however artfully. OMG, I'm starting to sound like Anthony Bourdain or something.
Couldn't the same argument be made against Japan?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2ad89c0f-97ab-4517-a84a-18d4d8c89b4320231106133503.JPG
as the forum expert on Ann D sneakers, has there been a release with white soles and all black vamp including toe cap? one available now for purchase?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as the forum expert on Ann D sneakers, has there been a release with white soles and all black vamp including toe cap? one available now for purchase?
Not to the best of my knowledge. The all blacks that I've seen have always had black soles.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The captions here are so bad I found myself "hate-reading" them which is really something I try to avoid.

But like @blacklight said, everyone in the background of the pics is how I remember everyone looking. Definitely a more accurate representation
Yeah, I see that. Honestly, that second caption AND the picture contained some of the worst fashion cliches. At this point, the long trench, worn casually, is just so meh. I mean, it's a fine garment, but I would really rather see double riders on Millennial women in skinny jeans and big ass scarves, or maybe a cocoon coat. At least it's honestly basic. And the crop top long coat combo with the predictable accompanying caption about making crop tops masculine, makes me want to group slap the wearer, the photographer,. and the caption writer, with one efficient movement, for causing me 0.5 seconds of unnecessary suffering.

Shryke

Reaction score
I feel like most of the people in these photos look so like... 'Look at me, I am doing fashion!'

I kind of feel as though once you look like that you've failed at actually looking good.

But then I feel that maybe I look like that and I just don't know about it. I try to at least allow my clothes to look as though they've been worn and had a life (though always still clean cause I can't deal with marks and stains.)

I do know for sure that the clothes I have are all things that I really love, and that have nothing to do with trends or anything else, and I hope that that comes through at least.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus, it's no wonder this website doesn't attract the younger generation when this type of multi-page "discourse" is somehow the norm for an article that mostly consists of totally fine outfits?

Older people on here love to talk about how confident and experienced they are in their style and "knowledge", but without fail there's always the belittling and use of terms like "tryhard" (dumb ass term by the way) to describe the styles and vibes of what happens to be popular right now.

Most of these people are nerds like you and me, they just have a different approach to what they think is fun to pursue and experiment with within the field. Just because you're not seeing them participate in discussions on forums doesn't mean they don't have their own platforms, communities and friend groups where this stuff really really isn't anything crazy.

Also, this outfit/picture is cool af.
15STYLEOUTSIDE-NYFW-FEB-16-htjf-superJumbo.jpg

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
At least it's honestly basic. And the crop top long coat combo with the predictable accompanying caption about making crop tops masculine, makes me want to group slap the wearer, the photographer,. and the caption writer, with one efficient movement, for causing me 0.5 seconds of unnecessary suffering.
It's interesting. The people in the background of that picture all seem to have pretty good fits. Nothing special but I assume that's why they weren't photographed. When I think of men in crop tops I always think of this infamous picture of black metal figure Euronymous. Surely the bullet belt makes this very masculine.

Euronymous in (i believe) his record store Helvete. Not a look many can  pull off : r/Mayhem

In case it isn't clear, I think both crop top fits are pretty bad.

Jesus, it's no wonder this website doesn't attract the younger generation when this type of multi-page "discourse" is somehow the norm for an article that mostly consists of totally fine outfits?

Older people on here love to talk about how confident and experienced they are in their style and "knowledge", but without fail there's always the belittling and use of terms like "tryhard" (dumb ass term by the way) to describe the styles and vibes of what happens to be popular right now.

Most of these people are nerds like you and me, they just have a different approach to what they think is fun to pursue and experiment with within the field. Just because you're not seeing them participate in discussions on forums doesn't mean they don't have their own platforms, communities and friend groups where this stuff really really isn't anything crazy.

The term tryhard ironically sounds a bit tryhard to me, but I do think it's a useful term when discussing outfits. Take the guy in the raw denim with lots of leather for example. Nothing is worn in, those Guidis could've come out of the box two minutes ago and the whole look seems like a costume. It's like he's trying very hard to look like a badass biker, which then has the opposite effect.

I think we've all looked like tryhards at some point but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You see a cool avant garde fit > you replicate it > you look like dogshit. And you look like dogshit because you have no experience with the garments. You haven't figured out the proper fit yet and your pieces aren't worn in; you look like a tryhard. Eventually you get through this phase but perhaps there are other styles you want to try and the cycle can repeat.

To end on a postive note I like some of the outfits in that article, namely red balaclava girl.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

15STYLEOUTSIDE-NYFW-FEB-16-htjf-superJumbo.jpg
That outfit is pretty good. I don’t think that it’s so much an age thing so much as an oversaturation thing. While plenty of people are well dressed at Pitti Uomo, the ones that get photographed are pretty annoyingly dressed as well. And a lot them are definitely older.

I think that it boils down to uniform loudness that gets the outfits photographed in the first place.

Last edited:

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more.

There's a lot to like in those pictures and a few I shrugged and said not for me. Even the ones I liked, most I probably wouldn't wear, but it looks good on them.

SilentPartner

Reaction score

Yes and they're dressing for their fellow nerd fashion community, with its own codes and references that I'm not likely to follow. But I can still appreciate it, and them, for unironically and unashamedly enjoying what they're in to. Good for them.

Also, most of us have lived in New York. When you dress like that you already get looks or rude comments. I'd rather not be the genteel end of the pile-on.

xeoniq

Reaction score
I think that it boils down to uniform loudness that gets the outfits photographed in the first place.
Definitely see that in a lot of fashion social media regardless of the target market. Eye-catching and gaudy gets more virtual attention tokens than tasteful and refined. I would like to think it's possible to be expressive, and considerate of context, our own individual physicality and preferences, without just putting on a random assortment of current meme pieces that are inorganically pressed by corporate interests to the fashion community as being "on trend". That's always been the challenge for me personally and something I've enjoyed seeing other people grapple with here. But like you, being visually bombastic for its own sake, following a trend instead of evolving a personal style, or just wearing a catalogue of one brand, creates "content" that just feels trite. (Nothing wrong with the last catalogue approach for the average consumer imo, but it's a shame if you spend hours a week participating in some form of fashion social media and you just ended up a cookie cutter on a clothing hanger with no style of your own).

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely see that in a lot of fashion social media regardless of the target market. Eye-catching and gaudy gets more virtual attention tokens than tasteful and refined. I would like to think it's possible to be expressive, and considerate of context, our own individual physicality and preferences, without just putting on a random assortment of current meme pieces that are inorganically pressed by corporate interests to the fashion community as being "on trend". That's always been the challenge for me personally and something I've enjoyed seeing other people grapple with here. But like you, being visually bombastic for its own sake, following a trend instead of evolving a personal style, or just wearing a catalogue of one brand, creates "content" that just feels trite. (Nothing wrong with the last catalogue approach for the average consumer imo, but it's a shame if you spend hours a week participating in some form of fashion social media and you just ended up a cookie cutter on a clothing hanger with no style of your own).
Some of the coolest looks that I've seen are outside of the fashion capitals, or even major markets.

I met the barista at a local coffee shop over a decade ago, and she looked super cool wearing an Ed Hardy tee shirt unironically, long after they had become very uncool, and basically a meme. She had a good sense of style, but was mostly not engaged with a fashion community nor a consumer of a lot of fashion media, and so was able to look at the piece out of its usual cultural context. The result was very cool. I'm not sure that that is possible in NYC, or a major fashion market.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads