• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
wasnt this question asked before? getting major deja vu vibes

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can recommend a place in NYC that would be able to dye a brown leather bag black? Or is this potentially something I can attempt on my own at home…?

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been traveling for a few weeks and brought 3 pairs of pants:

brown pleated cords - vintage Polo
faded black loose fit jeans - vintage Levi’s 569
light wash carpenter jeans - 18 East

boring but gets the job done! i have multiple versions of all these and probably wear one of them 70% of the time lately

Last edited:

malcb33

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone can recommend a place in NYC that would be able to dye a brown leather bag black? Or is this potentially something I can attempt on my own at home…?
That should be easy enough to do yourself. Leather dye, a rag and some elbow grease.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of leather. It could have a finish that needs stripping first. Most leather dyes need to be diluted before applying or it will be super dark and likely rub off on other things.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the kind of leather. It could have a finish that needs stripping first. Most leather dyes need to be diluted before applying or it will be super dark and likely rub off on other things.
It’s an older Mulholland Bros Garment bag, I think it definitely has some kind of finish on it as it feels super smooth to the touch and it’s got a sheen. Stripping before dying would be necessary I think.

Probably more work than it’s worth to do at home, especially with the risk of botching it and then staining other items. Would rather send it out somewhere to have done.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern Leather Goods
2 W 32nd St 4th floor, New York, NY 10001

I've brought in jackets and bags for full dye and repair jobs a few times with satisfaction.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Modern Leather Goods
2 W 32nd St 4th floor, New York, NY 10001

I've brought in jackets and bags for full dye and repair jobs a few times with satisfaction.

Perfect, looks like the spot for it. Thank you.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about incorporating Japanese fashion into my wardrobe, but I'm a little apprehensive.
Depending on your overall look and vibe, it could be really easy. What are you looking at?

WebsterCool

Reaction score
Depending on your overall look and vibe, it could be really easy. What are you looking at?
I had my eye on these.

Attachments

• Polish_20231203_014715953.jpg
    Polish_20231203_014715953.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 102

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads