• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would be the feasability of cutting apart a shirt and creating a lining for a jacket from it?
It would likely have to be a shirt that’s considerably larger than fits you. You’d need to accommodate seam allowances and the intended fit. Usually, jackets fit larger than shirts. What I mean is, if the shirt that you want to use for the lining currently fits you well as a shirt, it won’t be enough fabric.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right sort for this question. Please direct me to the right place, if it’s not.

I’m starting to explore Japanese denim. Are there any threads here or articles on the web that explore this world? I want to understand the differences between the various makers - their style, fabric, etc.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right sort for this question. Please direct me to the right place, if it’s not.

I’m starting to explore Japanese denim. Are there any threads here or articles on the web that explore this world? I want to understand the differences between the various makers - their style, fabric, etc.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty happy with mine, it's comfy and modular which makes it easy to move. The only issue I had was with delivery where I was given multiple fake-outs before it was actually ready, like they scheduled me 3 or 4 times only to cancel the night before which was a pain **********. The product itself is great though.

BONDI%203-SEATER.JPG

This one looked lovely but didnt have the right length.
Interior Define has worked really well for us. We've had ours for 4 or so years now
This however, did! I went to the Soho showroom today and we bought one for our new apartment.

Appreciate it both of you.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other news Im really impressed with William Ellery - https://williamellery.co/

Really great stuff, with recycled materials and cool designs. (right click open image in new tab to make their photos bigger. Very cool styling, just met the main guy at the Hatchet Supply popup today for their new ultra light.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would likely have to be a shirt that’s considerably larger than fits you. You’d need to accommodate seam allowances and the intended fit. Usually, jackets fit larger than shirts. What I mean is, if the shirt that you want to use for the lining currently fits you well as a shirt, it won’t be enough fabric.

i think it could be enough b/c you have options for lining styles ( fully lined / quarter etc ) plus the arms are typically lined in a separate fabric ...

that said i haven't really seen a lot of shirting used to line a jacket , i'm not sure that kind of fabric would hold up as a lining especially where it joins at the armpit , most lining is silk or rayon etc for a reason ...

the other issue is the lining seams will likely show through a thinner worsted suiting ( the way that oxxford suits for instance show off the *skeleton* and to Z's point there may not be enough fabric without piecing in which imho may not be good ...

all that said i'm assuming quite a bit about the project , so i'll say i think it's feasible but unless i'm missing a key rationale probably not a great idea . $.02 .

elongatedskull

Reaction score
I had a feeling that would be the case
i think it could be enough b/c you have options for lining styles ( fully lined / quarter etc ) plus the arms are typically lined in a separate fabric ...

that said i haven't really seen a lot of shirting used to line a jacket , i'm not sure that kind of fabric would hold up as a lining especially where it joins at the armpit , most lining is silk or rayon etc for a reason ...

the other issue is the lining seams will likely show through a thinner worsted suiting ( the way that oxxford suits for instance show off the *skeleton* and to Z's point there may not be enough fabric without piecing in which imho may not be good ...

all that said i'm assuming quite a bit about the project , so i'll say i think it's feasible but unless i'm missing a key rationale probably not a great idea . $.02 .
thanks for this, and @zissou too! It’s actually for my Mister Freedom ranch blouse, i’ve got a Sugar Cane flannel that I think would make a nice lining, would also give me the chance to add a interior pocket as well. I might be a little skinny for fabric, both pieces are a 38… i do have some Uniqlo oxfords that would be fair sacrifice for a sleeve lining perhaps

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visvim just opened their 3rd US store in Carmel, California. Will check it out next time I'm in the area, though I can't afford anything especially with a couple little ones.

It'll be interesting, the stores that have lasted there are on the menswear side (think Khaki's of Carmel) and I can only think of 3 mens clothing stores currently open though it is a small town. A few streetwear stores have opened over the years but none of them lasted.

Maybe this is signaling a shift? The food scene (and in nearby Monterey) is picking up with chefs from larger metros like San Francisco moving to the area partly for a better work/life balance.

I imagine the majority of people shopping at places like Visvim would be visitors, not locals. For the longest time I've only seen guys wearing menswear or athleisure but when I went earlier this year I saw a dude wearing Margiela.

@LA Guy I met Rafael Dos Anjos in Carmel Plaza a couple years ago, his son was playing with mine. We chatted for a few minutes, nice dude.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys enjoy writing copy about menswear and would you be interested in helping with the SF annual holiday fundraiser?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads