• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Letiquette made a pair of high waisted APCs that have me considering actually breaking in a pair of raw denim again. I still have a pair of new standards that I broke in back in like 2008 that I can’t wear with any shirt that has to be tucked in due to the crazy low rise. The funniest thing about those jeans is when I bought them after the early aught boot cut years, they felt insanely skin tight slim and by the skinny jean era in 2013 they seemed as big as JNCOs and now they’ve come back around and feel pretty middle of the road (low rise notwithstanding)

View attachment 1842926

levi's (lvc anyways) 605 / 606 models have a ~11" rise , these were the first skinny straight and slim straight jeans , i think they get slept on for some reason but an option if looking for generously-risen slim denim

RedVelvetWounds

Reaction score
Letiquette made a pair of high waisted APCs that have me considering actually breaking in a pair of raw denim again. I still have a pair of new standards that I broke in back in like 2008 that I can’t wear with any shirt that has to be tucked in due to the crazy low rise. The funniest thing about those jeans is when I bought them after the early aught boot cut years, they felt insanely skin tight slim and by the skinny jean era in 2013 they seemed as big as JNCOs and now they’ve come back around and feel pretty middle of the road (low rise notwithstanding)

View attachment 1842926

I'm curious what you consider a crazy low rise. Proportionally you can get away with a low rise on slim/skinny denim.

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious what you consider a crazy low rise. Proportionally you can get away with a low rise on slim/skinny denim.
I suppose it’s a bit relative as with my impression of how slim jeans look/feel: what felt like “normal” rise 10 years ago feels really low in the current era where higher rises are on trend. I remember when the movie “Her” came out a people thought Joaquin Phoenix’s characters high-rise pants looked ridiculous but now they look like something I would wear.

I still wear my old pairs of APC NS and RRL slim fits (which have an even lower rise I think) but I reach more frequently for Orslow 105s and some vintage 501s nowadays, especially if I think I’m going to try and tuck my shirt

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@FlyingHorker

Another one I found Googling something unrelated (Agyesh, Stoffa):

201104-sartoism-Kapil-Sehgal-ring-jacket_1024x1024.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingHorker

Another one I found Googling something unrelated (Agyesh, Stoffa):

201104-sartoism-Kapil-Sehgal-ring-jacket_1024x1024.jpg
The coat looks like a straighter silhouette, which is more in line with my sports coats, and still seems to work with the pants.

My Ralph chinos are still en route, but this gives me some more ideas. I normally wear my SC's closed, but this might look better if I wear them open. I hope the rise isn't too low though.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coat looks like a straighter silhouette, which is more in line with my sports coats, and still seems to work with the pants.

My Ralph chinos are still en route, but this gives me some more ideas. I normally wear my SC's closed, but this might look better if I wear them open. I hope the rise isn't too low though.

You picked up some Ralph chinos?

Still figuring out the straight silhouette myself. It seems the options are either sack suit or suppressed waist in what I've been looking at. Incidentally, I have recently come into possession of one sack-fit and one suppressed-waist sport coat, both of which I have yet to integrate into my wardrobe.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You picked up some Ralph chinos?

Still figuring out the straight silhouette myself. It seems the options are either sack suit or suppressed waist in what I've been looking at. Incidentally, I have recently come into possession of one sack-fit and one suppressed-waist sport coat, both of which I have yet to integrate into my wardrobe.
Yeah. Someone recommended Ralph Lauren's "Andrew" Chino to me, and it appears to have basically the same silhouette as what we've posted about, including J. Crew's giant chino.

It seems there is a tonne on eBay.

Sack suit should work if you can find it in your size. Your size seems rare in terms of sports coats, but common for overcoats.

msg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mid-COVID I realized what I wanted was Polo RL chinos in a straight leg fit (what they call "classic") with a full break. I bought a pair on ebay and after evaluation, grabbed a bunch more (either used or new oldstock) in various colors. pretty happy with the fit. here's a photo from last year

View attachment 1843381

Legend

sandmountain

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for a pair of “easy” trousers recently and tried on a pair of Gramicci pants. I really liked them, but can’t stand the belt. Can anyone recommend something similar (of equal quality or better, perhaps), but with an elasticated waist? Just wanting to get something casual and comfortable for running errands/going for walks that’s a step up from wearing track pants.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1842926

I asked my partner to get me a pair when she's in Paris next month. I gave up on APC a long time ago, but the jeans have always held a special place in my heart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics