• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what's a good service for mail in jean hemming? didn't like what the local spot did last time and figured i should stop procrastinating and get it done already

biabia

Reaction score
what's a good service for mail in jean hemming? didn't like what the local spot did last time and figured i should stop procrastinating and get it done already
I have used Williamsburg Garment Company for taking in the waist. I would go back and consider their other services as well. I learned of them from Put This On.

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
is there an easy way to search for all pictures posted by a user? trying to find a specific one from a while back and it's damn near impossible through the profile page.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have used Williamsburg Garment Company for taking in the waist. I would go back and consider their other services as well. I learned of them from Put This On.

I've used Williamsburg Garment Company for mail-in hemming. The process is pretty simple: you just mark where you want the pants hemmed and they will do it for you. The downside to this process is that a tailor won't be able to tell you if your desired length makes sense. But I imagine most people here don't need that kind of assistance. I folded the pants to where I wanted, carefully took them off, and then attached a binder clip to make sure the crease would stay folded when the jeans arrived at WGC. They then hemmed the pants and sent them back.

The shop is owned and run by Maurice Malone, who some might remember from the 90s. I thought that was kinda cool and it was part of the reason for me choosing them.

lesamourai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been satisfied with using Railcar a half dozen times; usually for tapering and hemming.
I've used Williamsburg Garment Company for mail-in hemming. The process is pretty simple: you just mark where you want the pants hemmed and they will do it for you. The downside to this process is that a tailor won't be able to tell you if your desired length makes sense. But I imagine most people here don't need that kind of assistance. I folded the pants to where I wanted, carefully took them off, and then attached a binder clip to make sure the crease would stay folded when the jeans arrived at WGC. They then hemmed the pants and sent them back.

The shop is owned and run by Maurice Malone, who some might remember from the 90s. I thought that was kinda cool and it was part of the reason for me choosing them.

thanks for the info. decided to go with williamsburg since they're on the same side of the country as me so the turn around should be a bit quicker.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now you have to buy it so you can hit "I already bought this"

Screenshot_20220204-000432_Chrome.jpg

jaaz16

Reaction score
Two “should I bother?” tailoring questions that are more suitable for the SWD side, and this seems like the best place to crowdsource:

After shortening the sleeves of a coat, ~1/8th of an inch of lining shows by my thumbs when I stretch out my arms (but doesn’t show at all when my arms are by my sides). Worth bringing back to the tailor to cut the lining back a bit?

Have a crew neck sweatshirt that fits right everywhere except the length, even after many washes and dries. Worth having my tailor shorten it by ~2 inches to match my other sweatshirts?

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two “should I bother?” tailoring questions that are more suitable for the SWD side, and this seems like the best place to crowdsource:

After shortening the sleeves of a coat, ~1/8th of an inch of lining shows by my thumbs when I stretch out my arms (but doesn’t show at all when my arms are by my sides). Worth bringing back to the tailor to cut the lining back a bit?

Have a crew neck sweatshirt that fits right everywhere except the length, even after many washes and dries. Worth having my tailor shorten it by ~2 inches to match my other sweatshirts?
IMO if the lining thing bothers you, have your tailor adjust it. Should be a quick, cheap fix. On the length, I would rather a sweatshirt be longer than short, so I wouldn’t have it shortened. Can let it slouch/bunch a bit at the waist or wear it long under a jacket. Depends on your proportions though, at my height and proportions (6’1”, longer legs and rise) I could get away with it; YMMV

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d encourage you to embrace and enjoy the variety rather than try to have all your sweatshirts (or replace with shirts/pants/coats - same idea) match in length. It’s nicer to have some trimmer and some wider, some shorter and some longer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics