• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

ollinnr

Reaction score
here's a random fashion thought that is sure to be an unpopular one but....... ALMOST 100% OF THE TIME, an outfit would look better with anything other than blue jeans. white jeans, black jeans, olive fatigues, khakis, track pants, etc.

just anything other than blue jeans.
This hurt to read because I love denim BUT I don't disagree because:
  1. Many people don't wear flattering jeans, in cut or wash
  2. Dark blue jeans (e.g. brand new raw denim) are really not that versatile

Spehsmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahhahah @King pro i mean don't get me wrong, i had a pair of 105s that I posted in a fit here and it was fine. fine. but i think @malcb33 hit the nail on the head with the intention behind the statement - it is likely the fact that every dude treats them as the standard. I just don't wanna see any more raw denim with a cuff :fistbump:

I often wear a pair of indigo raw denim, very wide Kapital ghurka pants, with a cuff, and I really don’t think they’d be “better” in olive, for example (which I also own). Just different.

Generic slim blue denim jeans, though? I agree they’re meh in almost every context (except looks I’ve seen with grunge, cowboy, etc., vibes).

If you think all blue denim pants/jeans are boring, I think you’re just picking boring options (e.g. the aforementioned OrSlows) and doing boring things with them.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like denim, and have many. I will also admit to having other pants. If I had the chance all my pants would probably be vintage fatigues and brown pants (regardless of the material suede included). However, I hate getting rid of stuff even though I probably only wear two pairs of actual denim on the regular. Maybe not even actually. Maybe just one pair.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hahhahah @King pro i mean don't get me wrong, i had a pair of 105s that I posted in a fit here and it was fine. fine. but i think @malcb33 hit the nail on the head with the intention behind the statement - it is likely the fact that every dude treats them as the standard. I just don't wanna see any more raw denim with a cuff :fistbump:

In my mind, it's the opposite...but then I realize I have gone entire years wearing jeans only once or twice. And I have a couple of SuFu approved raw pairs...it's not the look but the fact that for me jeans just aren't that comfortable, especially when you first put them on. I'm all about fatigue pants, retro-fit chinos and loungewear like Orslow New Yorkers...

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ solution, get denim pants in a comfortable (non 5 pocket) fit. I have 2 pairs of denim pants from Old Town, in their "plains" style, high rise and loose. Only thing denim I wear.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's a random fashion thought that is sure to be an unpopular one but....... ALMOST 100% OF THE TIME, an outfit would look better with anything other than blue jeans. white jeans, black jeans, olive fatigues, khakis, track pants, etc.

just anything other than blue jeans.
As someone who very much loves blue jeans, this hurt me deep in my soul but I think it’s not an unfair statement. Can’t always go for what ever is the “default” option mentally. Gotta switch it up

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been about 12 years since I last wore blue jeans and I don't ever find myself wishing I had a pair in the closet.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning everyone!

image.jpg

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often wear a pair of indigo raw denim, very wide Kapital ghurka pants, with a cuff, and I really don’t think they’d be “better” in olive, for example (which I also own). Just different.

Generic slim blue denim jeans, though? I agree they’re meh in almost every context (except looks I’ve seen with grunge, cowboy, etc., vibes).

If you think all blue denim pants/jeans are boring, I think you’re just picking boring options (e.g. the aforementioned OrSlows) and doing boring things with them.

I really like those Kap ghurka pants on you. How tall are you? Looking online, those pants seem to have a very short inseam... ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads