• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yo was this a Division Road joke?

I just watched the video - this is RIDICULOUS.

I can't wait for them to start carrying Southern Tide and trying to match vibergs to vineyard vines ties.

This is the kind of "heritage" that was never really about the heritage.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This recent article on HS made me nostalgic for the "good 'ol days"

Any sufu heads still on here?

I was definitely educated by the forums. GQ style and AAAC to SF and Sufu
Nice read. One thing that stuck out to me was, "and micro-trends from trad to babycore exist on TikTok and Instagram and have a shelf-life of a few months max before they’re poached by cool-hunters"

It immediately made me think of the first mention I heard of "cool hunting" in an article in the New Yorker a million years ago... it brought up a similar issue in that cool hunting was accelerating the speed of the new. It's absurdly fast now.

Just looked up the article date - it was almost 25 years ago. Wild. Talk about acceleration. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1997/03/17/the-coolhunt

jaaz16

Reaction score
^ I remember reading that article in college and it really stuck with me. It’s intuitive and almost obvious if you follow that side of the industry, but I thought Gladwell did a good job synthesizing it into a compelling narrative.

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just remember SuFu as a bunch of grown men being aggressively protective of an identity while denigrating others and making lurid remarks about women.

What was that other site with all the Rick/dark gothy stuff from around 2010? I remember people were always getting banned from there. Someone named Faust or something like that ran it.

Mulan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One time Mr.Moo posted an all-black fit pic on their site (leather jacket included of course). The styling won praise before he mentioned that his jacket was Armani.

After much criticism, Faust argued the outfit was bad because it wasn't "culturally relevant."

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One time Mr.Moo posted an all-black fit pic on their site (leather jacket included of course). The styling won praise before he mentioned that his jacket was Armani.

After much criticism, Faust argued the outfit was bad because it wasn't "culturally relevant."

I remember that, moo, synth and I had a good laugh about it at a bar in SF

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
Love the way Mark Maggiori wears dress-y trousers in a casual way

Thinking of trying this out (sans cowboy boots) by thrifting PRL, and maybe getting something from Casatlantic, has anyone tried their pants?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thinking of trying this out (sans cowboy boots) by thrifting PRL, and maybe getting something from Casatlantic, has anyone tried their pants?

I haven't tried Casatlantic, but I used to buy PRL pants when they were made in Italy. I think production has moved to Hickey Freeman (which may still be good. I just haven't tried them). The PRL pants back in the day were separated into two lines -- ones made in China and then ones made in Italy. The Italian ones had a fit that was similar to the Maggiori photos above. Looser, high rise, etc. You can taper them below the knee if you want to give the pants more shape.

IMO, "rustic" materials such as cavalry twill, whipcord, and Bedford cord work well for that sort of Maggiori look.

Cavalry twill is the top pair here:
103964402_3263950040302105_6968489810584330385_n.jpg

Whipcord and Bedford cord here:

czlpofcrerhcybyprdx7.jpeg
atwtljgpodzcy0dw0rc3.jpg

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wore mine from casatlantic for the first time. got the linen cottton in the vanilla colo. Recommend. This is the pleated model with belt loops, the widest cut I think. I wouldn’t call these dressy exactly. They are fancier chinos.

6D4944E7-3D9E-4CE0-99FF-E606C776D21E.jpeg 369A3C69-997F-4FA8-9757-38778480808D.jpeg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“Afraid of zeitgeist, afraid of zeitgeist, Instagram, Division Road’s moving to the South, trickle down, stuck in the Cold War, give me money please.”

Given I now have the context of having watched the video, I dare say the above post by M. Gaseous was with trollish intentions. If not intended to simply stir the pot, then I should think it would be more cathartic to own one's position than dissimulate by ironically suggesting you are of the opposite position, or what you interpret to be the position you are coyly opposing.

Having said that, that video can best be summarized as:

“Afraid of zeitgeist, afraid of zeitgeist, Instagram, Division Road’s moving to the South, trickle down, stuck in the Cold War?, wine cabanas, give me money please.”

Last edited:

DoubleDouble

Reaction score
I haven't tried Casatlantic, but I used to buy PRL pants when they were made in Italy. I think production has moved to Hickey Freeman (which may still be good. I just haven't tried them). The PRL pants back in the day were separated into two lines -- ones made in China and then ones made in Italy. The Italian ones had a fit that was similar to the Maggiori photos above. Looser, high rise, etc. You can taper them below the knee if you want to give the pants more shape.

IMO, "rustic" materials such as cavalry twill, whipcord, and Bedford cord work well for that sort of Maggiori look.

Cavalry twill is the top pair here:
View attachment 1634607

Whipcord and Bedford cord here:

View attachment 1634611 View attachment 1634609
Thank you sir, incredibly helpful as usual!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads