• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I think the fit of his shirt is pretty good here. On the sloping shoulders, the diagonal lines you're seeing here imply that the shirt pattern is NOT compensating enough for his sloping shoulders actually (the shirt shoulder angle is higher than his natural shoulder angle and it ends up collapsing a little). I think your comment implies the opposite - or maybe I read it wrong.

What I see is that in both raising the neckband to compensate for the long neck and in trying to compensate for the sloping shoulders, the top of the collar and end of his shoulder have a height difference that's more than normal by enough of a degree that it looks off to the casual observer.

But then again, maybe his shoulders really are just way too sloped and there's nothing that can be done to help. Plenty of photos would support this hypothesis as well.

I'm also not sure @Fuuma and I were seeing and talking about the exact same thing, but it did apparently look off to both of us,

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I owned a marital aid. It was modeled after a man's mouth because I got it as a souvenir for having worked door at my friend's club when he hosted a queer party during SXSW, many years ago. I tossed it when I moved apartments because I didn't want to deal with cleaning it.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know man. I get that he has a blog about the virtues of bespoke vs. the alternatives, but I also don’t think that necessarily pigeonholes him to have to wear bespoke everything all the time. Also I think the shirt fits fine; it’s a casual fit (relatively speaking). Shirt might need a steam or a press but I don’t think it’s a particularly egregious outfit

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I owned a marital aid. It was modeled after a man's mouth because I got it as a souvenir for having worked door at my friend's club when he hosted a queer party during SXSW, many years ago. I tossed it when I moved apartments because I didn't want to deal with cleaning it.
I'm regretting this as I'm even typing it, but what makes a man's mouth different from a woman's mouth? Does it have...like a moustache?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Simon fit is just boring - surprised it spurred an actual discussion but, hey, why not

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm regretting this as I'm even typing it, but what makes a man's mouth different from a woman's mouth? Does it have...like a moustache?

Capacity.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that Simon has a blog and writes about bespoke clothing. Just saying I don't think that shirt is bespoke, and if it is, it looks like it would have been made a long time ago. He's bulked up a lot in the last few years. I have nothing against RTW shirts, but the fit of that shirt doesn't look bespoke.
Maybe in the past year, but the last time I saw him in person (January 2020), he was pretty trim. He probably has the typical weight gain of someone who usually gets exercise from normal activity, and stays trin through a reasonable diet, but does not have the discipline of regular, rigorous workouts.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe in the past year, but the last time I saw him in person (January 2020), he was pretty trim. He probably has the typical weight gain of someone who usually gets exercise from normal activity, and stays trin through a reasonable diet, but does not have the discipline of regular, rigorous workouts.

Read: I do Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and have an extensive knife collection.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You always seem baffled when people criticize things and talk about them...it's the internet...we're bored at work. What else is there to do but pick at little things here and argue about them?
You can always shop ! :D

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just as a counterpoint, Simon looks a lot better in a similar get up here:
1617138359380.png

The jeans actually look worn in and unpressed, and the shirt is flattering, sloped shoulders and all. And he actually looks relaxed and not standing roboticaly. You can see that his head and body are a natural tilt, as is the case with most people standing in a natural pose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads