• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
100%

A few years ago I reached the point where anything I wanted to get rid of goes in either a Goodwill bag or a box to Luxeswap. It's not worth it to deal with buyers if you're not relying on volume to offset those losses.

The other thing is to reduce one's buying significantly so you're not always trying to turn over that epic kop from 6 months ago that you've realized you're never wearing in order to "fund" yet another one.

UserName84

Reaction score
For those who missed @NickPollica 's 18 East x All Caps Studio fundraising tee, we ordered 200 units to support the cause and offer them to those missed the preorder window. Here's the link. To be clear we're taking 0 margin here, all proceeds go to the causes

Very cool. Side-note the page title says 'temp'

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know societal/cultural rules regarding wardrobe are different for women, and I know the workplace has been casualized, and I know we are still in the midst of WFH; but it was still wild to see the CEO of GM, one of the most powerful executive positions in the entire world wearing a double rider and black t shirt for a national TV appearance on CNBC this morning.

I saw that and did a triple-take because I couldn't believe that's what she decided to wear on TV. Yikes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Surprising, but the double rider has also somewhat replaced the blazer in womenswear. AOC appeared in a TV interview in a black double rider

Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 8.19.32 PM.png

Cindy McCain also in a double rider

And Sarah Palin, while in a modified cafe racer and not a double rider, wearing a leather jacket while on the campaign trail

mccain-palin-1535393276-e1535393321716-1024x694.jpg

This is one of the reasons why I'm surprised when I hear guys say they're not sure if they can wear a DR if they don't ride a bike. While womenswear has always been more progressive than menswear, the DR seems totally stripped of its original utilitiarian meaning at this point.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Surprising, but the double rider has also somewhat replaced the blazer in womenswear. AOC appeared in a TV interview in a black double rider

View attachment 1407744

Cindy McCain also in a double rider

And Sarah Palin, while in a modified cafe racer and not a double rider, wearing a leather jacket while on the campaign trail

View attachment 1407749

This is one of the reasons why I'm surprised when I hear guys say they're not sure if they can wear a DR if they don't ride a bike. While womenswear has always been more progressive than menswear, the DR seems totally stripped of its original utilitiarian meaning at this point.

Once again reinforcing that the attractiveness of the wearer is much more important than the clothes themselves when determining how someone looks in something.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once again reinforcing that the attractiveness of the wearer is much more important than the clothes themselves when determining how someone looks in something.

Maybe, but that doesn't seem limited to the DR. That's also true for traditional modes of dress. Lots of people wear brands like Loro Piana because they think it makes them look rich, but they just end up looking like office drones.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but that doesn't seem limited to the DR. That's also true for traditional modes of dress. Lots of people wear brands like Loro Piana because they think it makes them look rich, but they just end up looking like office drones.

Oh no I think it applies to pretty much all clothes and all people. There is only so much that clothes can do.

motosacto

Reaction score
I know societal/cultural rules regarding wardrobe are different for women, and I know the workplace has been casualized, and I know we are still in the midst of WFH; but it was still wild to see the CEO of GM, one of the most powerful executive positions in the entire world wearing a double rider and black t shirt for a national TV appearance on CNBC this morning.

Tesla’s market cap is ~$184B to GM’s ~$38B, so she is competing with Elon Musk...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oh no I think it applies to pretty much all clothes and all people. There is only so much that clothes can do.

I think the nice thing about the opening up of dress norms is that people can engage with non-traditional modes of beauty. It's true that good looking people will always look better in their clothes. But when you allow for a wider range of dress, you can also wear things that are better suited to your personality and body type.

There are some aesthetics that are not at all about traditional modes of beauty. They may even be ugly (but in a good way). You can be a funky looking dude and look great in Kapital, assuming the clothes work for your lifestyle.

Even on the traditional side, the whole Ask Andy trad aesthetic is ... classic, but not particularly sexy. Guys who wear that stuff revel in the fact that they don't look sexy, and will often say how much they dislike sexy, hip clothes.

motosacto

Reaction score
William Gibson on his style/fashion . I just reread the Sprawl trilogy for perhaps the 8th(?) time, so this made me chuckle.

"My interest in clothing is very peculiar. I couldn’t tell you what’s in fashion this season, but, during lockdown, I passed the time by working out my size in various European countries’ military fatigues, which took an incredible amount of Googling and asking other people to measure their trousers".
1304.jpg

I just reread the Blue Ant trilogy too. In addition to being fun fashion, it is a good snapshot-in-time of the pre-iPhone, pre-3G era. Everyone is constantly logging into open WiFi APs with laptops and using email...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads