• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I mean Manhatten, sorry.

Even in Manhattan this is a terrible take... Manhattan is very segregated (like Chicago). See UWS/UES/West Village vs Harlem/Washington Heights/Inwood. And I wouldn't call brushing past each other on the train a meaningful interaction.

Also, only upper-middle class people who take the CTA are drunk Cubs fans.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally I can use something I've learned after reading all those @dieworkwear posts on SF...

J6HDGbU.jpg

happyriverz

Reaction score
I go to Portland and Seattle regularly, and for a while after the 2016 election, there were lots of anti-Trump manifestos on the doors of many downtown Portland and Seattle businesses. This is not an invitation for discussion. This is drawing a line in the sand. It's an invitation to war, and in many of the cities, very large demonstrations and counter-deminstrations, with fairly ugly outcomes, took place in cities across the US.

By way of contrast, having lived in a small town now for quite a while, I see very left leaning university faculty members interacting, not always cordially, but at least civilly, with the members of a Christian sect whose members hold ultraconservative social values. Activities like boycotts of businesses, liberal against conservative, conservative against liberal, etc... are simply not feasible. And organizations like the local co-op have boards that are mixed between old super liberal hippies, left leaning academics, and ultra-conservatives. You are compelled to not just coexist, but to cooperate to make the community function.

Ah yes, the Small Town American Heartland.

The way to make people with different and irreconcilable moral and political views function together is just a functioning democracy.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
can we make a new RFT thread for clothes only discussion

SF is sorta like a neighborhood bar (I think LAGuy was the first to use that simile) and this is nowhere truer than in this thread, not gonna happen...

Note: the discussion about segregation is a little bit naive when it doesn't take into account class and its changing geographical manifestations. Geographical segregation is not as prevalent as before (many neighboirhoods in large, dense cities are now mixed or at least very near each other) but social segregation makes it so that aside from a few interactions (you prepare my food or maybe we both take the metro) people can live fully segregated lives along class lines (kids don't go to the same schools, people don't work in the same places or even socialize in the same bars, restaurants, groups on social networks, dating scene etc.). Being pro-diversity is very ******* easy for urban educated classes because they literally only get to use lower class people (of which recent immigrants are often a large % in large western cities) and their hangouts as background props giving character to their neighborhoods or as service providers.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Already the case with the Five Eyes intelligence community and (overseas and mainland-born) Chinese...

I don't get what you're getting at here. Five eyes is an intelligence sharing agreement involving countries so they can have others spying on their own citizens plus a host of other stuff, to be precise it is between specific institutions, sure all are from Anglo-saxon countries. Are you implying overseas Chinese are spying for the mainland?

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
the real argument of the book (aside from the salvo at the idea of entertaining ourselves out of racism) is that racism continues to be so deeply satisfying and entertaining to so many people because it allows for a way to locate meaning in the physical world (i.e., for the racist, the sense that blackness means something is both deeply fun and deeply profound). in that sense, dramatic entertainment has taken over a kind of function that religious allegory dominated; dramatic entertainment does this for the sake of producing things that will sell tickets.

Doesn't hypertrophied (online woke) identity politics provide the same entertainment? Not saying it has the same consequences, a few eager kids on twitter devouring each other socially by calling out each other because of the limited amount of social capital available in their scene is definitely of little consequence.

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am all for ethnic-driven campus groups. While diverse groups are great, the dynamic is different and people act differently. There will always be something about finding people like you and being around just that, especially as a minority group.

I think there needs to be space for both, and I think that banding together around ethnicity doesn’t necessarily lead to bad policy later down the road. Of course, there are obvious examples where that’s not true, but affinity groups are a good thing and create much needed space in the ones that I have personally taken part in.

In a lot of ways, it’s like sports. It’s much harder to coalesce around something like clothes because you just don’t know who’s into clothes, and even then, what kind of clothes (Sufu? Sz?)? I’m just using that as an example. But ethnicity, like sports teams, you can kinda tell right off the bat that there is some level of common ground.

I kind of agree with dww more. I've expressed that I've never really felt a strong Pakistani identity. I've felt American first, then Canadian, then Pakistani American, then Pakistani. And other than the year after 9/11, I've never been treated otherwise

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
I kind of agree with dww more. I've expressed that I've never really felt a strong Pakistani identity. I've felt American first, then Canadian, then Pakistani American, then Pakistani. And other than the year after 9/11, I've never been treated otherwise

we all know the _real_ reason behind this

coughpawgscough

:devil:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance