• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sipang I saw that this morning 😥 stylish dude. so many good fashion moments.

Agree @sipang That was inspiring.

Love the shirt in pic 1, looks like raw silk maybe with a neat single cuff (very cool looking, virtually non-existent today) with mop button/link

Always liked the (off) white suit black shirt combo, with the right textures I think it's doable today.

Visconti was a big fan too, like many others no doubt

92dda869c7ad2d87c383174ed19d0b71.jpg
luchinodd-visconti-1957.jpg

2615588.jpg

VISCONTI-NELLA-CASA-DI-VIA-SALARIA.jpg

etc...
LDVWhite-MAIN2.jpg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys think this show will be breatheable or not because of gore Tex? More breathable than Salomon XT-6 is my best guess. I realized today I don’t like the XT-6 because of the sock liner like fit.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys think this show will be breatheable or not because of gore Tex? More breathable than Salomon XT-6 is my best guess. I realized today I don’t like the XT-6 because of the sock liner like fit.

I wear the non-Goretex Merrello Moab 3s for dry weather hiking, and Hoka Kaha 2s (https://huckberry.com/store/hoka/category/p/81784-kaha-2-low-gtx-hiking-shoe) it I need some water resistance.

The goretex lining is always going to make shoes a bit less breathable, so there is always a tradeoff.

One thing worth considering is that Merrell Moabs are nice and wider at the forefoot than any Salomon model I've ever tried on. They are always listed in any "most comfortable list" and seem to fit a lot of people. Personally looking at the Belstaff Merrell's myself:
https://www.merrell.com/US/en/ontario-sp-lace-1trl-x-belstaff/59202M.html?dwvar_59202M_color=J006621 Not sure of the color yet though.

ppk

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

These look really good! I've been looking for a hiking shoe (I have two pairs of boots). The price is right too.

Thanks.

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm in the same boat at @LA Guy. I've owned both the Gore-Tex model of the Moabs and the Moab 3 boots (my current hiking boots). I really didn't like the Gore-Tex ones... the lack of breathability was a big factor, but they also felt pretty uncomfortable to me and didn't support my foot as well as the Moab 3. Now, I will say, my feet are a bit weird (between sizes, wide, etc.), so my review is definitely subjective.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're done man. You've reached the end of consumerism. Close styleforum, log out of discord. Unsubscribe from all the retail emails and substacks and podcasts.

Enjoy your peace and quiet, and use the extra $ for a new hobby. Just get out of here and never look back.
Scary indeed. May be scary enough to where I'm not fully sure I'm done yet. My restless brain always wants me doing something.
Don't put on or lose any weight
Woops, I gained 10 lbs. I'll find out this winter if I can still fit into my suits and blazers.
@FlyingHorker How could you let this happen?

How many coats?
8 my dude. 2 of those 8 are tight and slim fitting now. I'm glad I tended to buy 1-3 sizes too big by CM standards.
Let me introduce you to Jacques Marie Mage....

20240823-193743.jpg

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These look really good! I've been looking for a hiking shoe (I have two pairs of boots). The price is right too.

Thanks.
Realized last night this has a sock liner like fit too so I’m out. Great color way though. Saw it on IG worn by Ethan Wong who I think has great taste.

@FlyingHorker what are your outfits at home like? I’d like to step it up in that area but need it to be ultra comfortable and look nice.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@FlyingHorker what are your outfits at home like? I’d like to step it up in that area but need it to be ultra comfortable and look nice.
Tatters and hand-me-downs. I still wear my old skater/surf t-shirts that are filled with holes. When they rip, I turn them into towels to wrap my hair after a shower.

I oddly don't consider them part of my wardrobe.

I bought a nice wool robe, in blackwatch plaid, from Derek Rose for homewear.

Scratchiest thing I've ever bought and I barely wore it for that reason. Too long, got in the way too.

I probably would have been better off just buying a nice cropped hoodie from Bronson MFG.

I'm not sure I'd get much enjoyment from stepping it up there, though I'm open to ideas and inspiration.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tatters and hand-me-downs. I still wear my old skater/surf t-shirts that are filled with holes. When they rip, I turn them into towels to wrap my hair after a shower.

I oddly don't consider them part of my wardrobe.

I bought a nice wool robe, in blackwatch plaid, from Derek Rose for homewear.

Scratchiest thing I've ever bought and I barely wore it for that reason. Too long, got in the way too.

I probably would have been better off just buying a nice cropped hoodie from Bronson MFG.

I'm not sure I'd get much enjoyment from stepping it up there, though I'm open to ideas and inspiration.
My unasked for advice, but having love fashion since I was a little kid, and involved in the industry since the late 90s: no need to push it. I go through occasional periods of not caring much at all - like, nothing new seems appealing, and then I get into other things, usually adjacent to fashion, like accessories, watches, or pocket knives, but often in the areas between fashion and another interest, like the many BJJ gear/fashion collaborations. When specific things appeal to me, I just let myself gravitate to them. It's good to just let things evolve. That's the way to continue loving this stuff for a long time.

MickeyPunch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the topic of MatchesFashion… why did they go under? Is it representative of the industry, or an outlier? Are others like MrPorter or Farfetch (different business models tbh) healthy?

The Guardian’s article that I linked in mentioned “softening demand for luxury fashion”.

I must say prices are bonkers, even though I own a bunch of items close to or above 1k euro, I’ve only ever had two “designer” items, and I sold one of them.

Edit: just went to MrPorter, clicked on Balenciaga and the first two jeans were €1.7k and €2k.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Love the shirt in pic 1, looks like raw silk maybe with a neat single cuff (very cool looking, virtually non-existent today) with mop button/link

Always liked the (off) white suit black shirt combo, with the right textures I think it's doable today.

Visconti was a big fan too, like many others no doubt

Do you think it might be a knit? Like an Italian John Smedley. The big button reads knit to me. Regardless, a great look if you got what it takes! (which you do I'm sure)

1959djd.jpg

This shirt looks maybe like pique? polo. That collar is very Brioni.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the topic of MatchesFashion… why did they go under? Is it representative of the industry, or an outlier? Are others like MrPorter or Farfetch (different business models tbh) healthy?

The Guardian’s article that I linked in mentioned “softening demand for luxury fashion”.

I must say prices are bonkers, even though I own a bunch of items close to or above 1k euro, I’ve only ever had two “designer” items, and I sold one of them.

Edit: just went to MrPorter, clicked on Balenciaga and the first two jeans were €1.7k and €2k.
Basically. there is no viable business plan going forward for large, multi-brand luxury retailers. Smaller retailers offer curation, a customer community (like many of our affiliate vendors), a lot of designer brands are finding that they have better marketing control, control of sales strategies (so, related) and profits selling through their own websites.

It turns out that online mutli-brand luxury department stores face the same issues as B&M ones - there is no obvious value add. NAP-Mr.Porter, Matches Fashion have never made a profit (maybe one of them made profit in one quarter of their entire existence), nor has Farfetch (different concept, but faces the same issues). The only business plan is price, which is obviously unsustainable.

This has been in the fashion business press for most of the year and last. We discuss it here:https://www.styleforum.net/threads/discussions-about-the-fashion-industry-thread.540063/ Much of it is towards the end.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found this @Parker

fcb4d156394380bab8fc8a910f974c21.jpg

Might just be plain linen but there appears to be some slubiness, the buttons are indeed pretty massive. I like that it's a cord suit too, not something you'd really expect.
I'm gonna do it.

This shirt looks maybe like pique? polo. That collar is very Brioni.

Looks like there's a subtle rib knit thing going on too, is there something notable about Brioni collars?

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawyerman