• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the bullshit that is my life, over 2TB disappeared from our server overnight, causing the outage. Our systems admin is now yelling at our server company.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This site is more unstable than my emotional health.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the bullshit that is my life, over 2TB disappeared from our server overnight, causing the outage. Our systems admin is now yelling at our server company.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This site is more unstable than my emotional health.
It was fine for years. Then we tried an unsuccessful update, when MySQL “went away”, and have had 3 outages since. We’re demanding to be made whole and to be put on a new, better server immediately. Because this is bs.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
It was fine for years. Then we tried an unsuccessful update, when MySQL “went away”, and have had 3 outages since. We’re demanding to be made whole and to be put on a new, better server immediately. Because this is bs.

something something moscow something something?

domdomdomdom

Reaction score
Probably because there really isn’t any public transportation or infrastructure to support it. One of the biggest problems is that traffic in Southern California is horrendous. The closer one gets to LA the worse it is at almost all hours. I commuted every weekend for about a year to LA for a year and it was excruciating

There are times of the day when the traffic probably stretches, in a single continuous line, from Chula Vista to Santa Clarita along the 5. About 170 miles of freeway for those not familiar.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wait, what? Is Putin attacking SF? Did he get some bad advice on "timeless style" like purple shoes over on CM and decide to blow **** up?
Frankly, that's as good of an explanation as we have so far.

Apparently, at about 6 a.m. PST, the cPanel decided, with no one logged in, to start a backup of our testing site, and put it, instead of on the backup drives, into the main drive, taking up 1.2 TB

Also, the server company had not cleaned up their temp files from backups, and that was taking up a good 2 TB of space.

So, we've now freed up 3TB of space.

Now, we have to figure out why cPanel just decided, on its own, to start a backup of the tester site (where we test addons, etc..) without any prompt.

peachfuzzmcgee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are times of the day when the traffic probably stretches, in a single continuous line, from Chula Vista to Santa Clarita along the 5. About 170 miles of freeway for those not familiar.

You know I read an article that quoted a study reporting LA was 6th in hours wasted in traffic. NYC and Chicago being the top 2. I've lived in both so Im prepared I believe.

NYC traffic wasn't my biggest problem, it was the absolute bullshit parking anywhere. If you came home too late, you'd be circling forever and then you have to move it twice a week for street cleaning. Although since I chose to live in the ghetto the cops never came to ticket so I never moved my car in 2 months

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hm i have a master's degree in urban planning from a southern cali university . but go ahead and school me lol .

Well done you. I have a PhD and taught urban planning for 8 years, before teaching urban sociology and surveillance studies for a further 12 further years - but it's not an argument about authority or LA; I was taking issue with your opinion about City of Quartz. And no-one has to take my word for it: anyone else can do their own research for how this book is regarded. Even if you do something as crude as citations, it has over 9000, which is massive for an urban studies book...

Rookoobay

Reaction score
I mentioned Barry Hannah last week re: descriptions of dress in fiction and just cracked "Bats out of Hell" (1993) and it starts with these two sentences:

"The pier shook under his feet, wrapped in socks and sandals. He wore huge gabardine shorts and was blue-white in the legs."

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done you. I have a PhD and taught urban planning for 8 years, before teaching urban sociology and surveillance studies for a further 12 further years - but it's not an argument about authority or LA; I was taking issue with your opinion about City of Quartz. And no-one has to take my word for it: anyone else can do their own research for how this book is regarded. Even if you do something as crude as citations, it has over 9000, which is massive for an urban studies book...

hm well the amount of citation doesn't render davis' writing any less polemical or any more self-aware .

so : city of quartz , a fine read if somewhat tabloid . i seem to recall a passage in ecology of fear about exploding rabbits lol... that's about where i bailed on that book . fwiw i've also heard mike davis in person ( maybe the lannan award ? can't remember ) . in any case my opinion stands up just fine thx , if that bothers you well i guess it bothers you .

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeremygrooks