• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Fashion Thoughts (Part 3: Style farmer strikes back) - our general discussion thread

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The affiliate vendors complain about this and the posts are removed regularly. They are also not technically allowed, but we tolerate them in swd, since the two sides of the forum have different cultures. In any case, he was warned and did it regardless. That’s on him. That said, he stood be back soon.
I think the problem is that the rules are applied unevenly. For example, in the Drake's B/S/T thread (which is not an affiliate vendor) you have to provide the link to the item you're selling in the Buy & Sell section or your comment will be deleted (made this mistake myself recently). This is not the case in the Alden B/S/T thread or the Eidos thread, however. There are many smaller brand threads that are just a free for all in this regard as well.
It's no surprise that people end up violating the rules if the rules are arbitrary.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that the rules are applied unevenly. For example, in the Drake's B/S/T thread (which is not an affiliate vendor) you have to provide the link to the item you're selling in the Buy & Sell section or your comment will be deleted (made this mistake myself recently). This is not the case in the Alden B/S/T thread or the Eidos thread, however. There are many smaller brand threads that are just a free for all in this regard as well.
It's no surprise that people end up violating the rules if the rules are arbitrary.
No one is ever timed out for a first offense. Everyone is told what to do or not do. It’s typically only after repeat violations that anyone gets a time out. We’ve only had to permanently ban one member, who was making a fair bit of cash from sales here, when he started arguing with a mod, then started to insult a mod in PM.

The rule is that there needs to be a corresponding B&S listing, and that you need to post that in the BST thread only. The culture on styleforum has evolved organically, which is generally good. But it has led to some rather American style inconsistencies in um… case law? We’re still trying to figure out what is the best way forward, but for now, it is patchwork. That said, please don’t argue with or disregard mods if they tell you something you don’t like. It generally just causes unnecessary headaches for everyone.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
No one is ever timed out for a first offense. Everyone is told what to do or not do. It’s typically only after repeat violations that anyone gets a time out. We’ve only had to permanently ban one member, who was making a fair bit of cash from sales here, when he started arguing with a mod, then started to insult a mod in PM.

The rule is that there needs to be a corresponding B&S listing, and that you need to post that in the BST thread only. The culture on styleforum has evolved organically, which is generally good. But it has led to some rather American style inconsistencies in um… case law? We’re still trying to figure out what is the best way forward, but for now, it is patchwork. That said, please don’t argue with or disregard mods if they tell you something you don’t like. It generally just causes unnecessary headaches for everyone.

wouldn't it just be better to inform said person why they were timed out upon time out and have an appeal process if warranted?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did people know that there's a whole genre of Carhartt songs??

On a related note (pun intended?), the chair or president of the Carhartt clothing company (and/or maybe she's the heir of the family who founded it?) actually started a small local jazz label about 20 years ago called "Mack Avenue Records". I only know this because when my wife was in public accounting and doing auditing, they were one of her clients. She claims the lady who ran the label and Carhartt was just a horrible, entitled person.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I find myself either wearing workout gear when I'm at home/running errands, oir scrubs or a suit/jacket when working/if I can get out rarely. A lot of the really cool stuff I got in my early 20s and my body is just not the same shape it was back then, which meant getting rid of stuff that won't ever fit (or fit right). I thought about selling my 5 zip and getting a SLP leather jacket in my current size but then I have to question would I even wear it/is it worth spending the thousands of dollars difference between the two if I wear it once or twice a year if that.

I’ve drifted a bit towards Tom Ford/Gucci/Purple Label stuff which is I guess SWD anyways but I still wear my painted Margiela jacket when I can. I wore laced sneakers the other day (that my lady gifted me) and it felt wrong man… but you gotta keep the lady happy. She looks in my closet and sighs every time cause I have a “million boots in slightly different colors” ha

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldn't it just be better to inform said person why they were timed out upon time out and have an appeal process if warranted?
They are always told ahead of time to not do that thing. I mean, sometimes people appeal via email, but I’ve rarely had to reverse a ruling. If anyone feels like they’ve heeded all moderator decisions, whether or not they agreed with them, and that the time out was just a mistake (sometimes the wrong button gets pushed) I’d be happy to talk to the moderator, of course, or even reverse the action myself if it was an obvious mistake. For example, once a senior member was caught up in the spammination run. Whoops. That was a clear case that I cleaned up immediately.

Anyway, we’re going to end this discussion here. If you feel like you want to say more, please pm. I’m not promising that I can get back to you, but I’ll take any respectful suggestions into consideration when it’s time to make any guidelines changes.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve drifted a bit towards Tom Ford/Gucci/Purple Label stuff which is I guess SWD anyways but I still wear my painted Margiela jacket when I can. I wore laced sneakers the other day (that my lady gifted me) and it felt wrong man… but you gotta keep the lady happy. She looks in my closet and sighs every time cause I have a “million boots in slightly different colors” ha
Lol. Every pair of kicks and boots that I own are in varying shades of light grey or tan, so yeah. My wife is the same.

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Lol. Every pair of kicks and boots that I own are in varying shades of light grey or tan, so yeah. My wife is the same.
I will never recover from the time when, as I excitedly chattered about a package I was about to open, my girlfriend perfectly deadpanned,”Is it another blue shirt?” It was masterfully done.

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score

“I find happiness in the simple things babe, when I find something I like….I really like it, I mean look at you [and marty Margiela]” that usually gets me a punch on the arm and laugh and I can wear my boots out that night

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I find happiness in the simple things babe, when I find something I like….I really like it, I mean look at you [and marty Margiela]” that usually gets me a punch on the arm and laugh and I can wear my boots out that night
Smooth. I'm borrowing that, btw.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never recover from the time when, as I excitedly chattered about a package I was about to open, my girlfriend perfectly deadpanned,”Is it another blue shirt?” It was masterfully done.

This is when you hope it is one of those narrow striped white and blue shirts the Italians do so well, so you can show her what is what

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads