• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RANCOURT & Co. Shoes - Made in Maine

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that seven months is not acceptable and well beyond the quoted delivery date. You will likely get a great shoe at the end of the day (some recent experiences detailed in this thread notwithstanding) but the wait time is silly. With these wait times, people are just better off waiting for a regular annual December sale and ordering something in stock.
My feelings exactly. I just don’t understand why it takes 7+ months to make CXL loafers.

jcatl

Reaction score
It seems to me they are probably prioritizing crafting towards full price sales over the pre-ordered pairs. It took six months to get my Baxters, and I was very close to canceling the order. Did I need a new pair of shoes when I ordered them? Nope, and the wait definitely detracted from the experience. By the time they shipped I might have wanted something completely different.

Fenners81

Reaction score
My feelings exactly. I just don’t understand why it takes 7+ months to make CXL loafers.
I think this company is in decline. The minute cost-cutting starts it's a downward spiral. I have one pair of Rancourts and I'm pretty sure it'll be my last.

Mr Clemson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems to me they are probably prioritizing crafting towards full price sales over the pre-ordered pairs. It took six months to get my Baxters, and I was very close to canceling the order. Did I need a new pair of shoes when I ordered them? Nope, and the wait definitely detracted from the experience. By the time they shipped I might have wanted something completely different.
I’ve purchased and received two different pairs of shoes from OSB while waiting on these and have been pleased with them fwiw.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score

I've wondered this: does Rancourt keep their most experienced and skilled workers handling the full-priced orders and leave the new generation to the discounted crowdfunding orders?

Obviously it's a small sample size for me personally, but with eight full-priced shoes from Rancourt (including five CXL) that I never had any problems with it does raise the question.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
I think this company is in decline. The minute cost-cutting starts it's a downward spiral. I have one pair of Rancourts and I'm pretty sure it'll be my last.

Try ordering a pair of out of stock hand sewns from Alden (~2-3x Rancourt price) or Edward Green (~4-5x). See how long that takes.

Fenners81

Reaction score
Try ordering a pair of out of stock hand sewns from Alden (~2-3x Rancourt price) or Edward Green (~4-5x). See how long that takes.
It's a combination of massively missing promised deadlines and very inconsistent quality. I don't think Edward Green are an appropriate comparison as they're very much in the premium/luxury bracket and are superior by far. I think the general consensus on here is that customers are noticing negative trends with Rancourt. They may not be the most expensive but they're certainly not cheap. I have footwear from a multitude of brands that I paid about the same price (within $100) as Rancourts and don't encounter QC issues like this. They need to take more pride in their product and stop hiding behind the hand sewn excuse. It's obvious that there is a large disparity in the skill set of their employees. I obviously got lucky and had someone who knew what they were doing. Interestingly, mine came from stock rather than the pre-order so maybe @jcatl is right.

Last edited:

Garrister

Reaction score
It's a combination of massively missing promised deadlines and very inconsistent quality. I don't think Edward Green are an appropriate comparison as they're very much in the premium/luxury bracket and are superior by far. I think the general consensus on here is that customers are noticing negative trends with Rancourt. They may not be the most expensive but they're certainly not cheap. I have footwear from a multitude of brands that I paid about the same price (within $100) as Rancourts and don't encounter QC issues like this. They need to take more pride in their product and stop hiding behind the hand sewn excuse. It's obvious that there is a large disparity in the skill set of their employees. I obviously got lucky and had someone who knew what they were doing. Interestingly, mine came from stock rather than the pre-order so maybe @jcatl is right.
That is not the general consensus at all. If you are unhappy do not buy but it's quite a leap of logic to suggest that missing deadlines or receiving a shoe with quality issues means the company is in "decline." Putting aside that it is a "hasty generalization" -- a logical fallacy, it could suggest that the factory is too busy -- which is what I suspect. My guess it that management is taking on too much work (beyond capacity) in order to ensure the factory remains busy because running a retail operation is very different than running a batch manufacturing operation, like Alden does.

If you can buy quality shoes you like for under $100, please do so. But all that really means is that you do not value Horween leather or recraftable hand-stitched shoes made in the USA.

Fenners81

Reaction score
If you can buy quality shoes you like for under $100, please do so. But all that really means is that you do not value Horween leather or recraftable hand-stitched shoes made in the USUSA.
Speaking of 'jumps' and 'logical fallacies' 🤔

Not once did I say I buy quality shoes for under $100. Perhaps read my comments properly before posting ridiculous responses. I accept your point about 'general consensus' - I should have said recurring theme.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
That is not the general consensus at all. If you are unhappy do not buy but it's quite a leap of logic to suggest that missing deadlines or receiving a shoe with quality issues means the company is in "decline." Putting aside that it is a "hasty generalization" -- a logical fallacy, it could suggest that the factory is too busy -- which is what I suspect. My guess it that management is taking on too much work (beyond capacity) in order to ensure the factory remains busy because running a retail operation is very different than running a batch manufacturing operation, like Alden does.

If you can buy quality shoes you like for under $100, please do so. But all that really means is that you do not value Horween leather or recraftable hand-stitched shoes made in the USA.
Earlier someone posted that the company is also training new craftsmen to work on production. I’d greatly prefer some growing pains to losing another American manufacturer.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some folks have glass-half-full mentalities.
Some don't.

I'm still a believer in #TeamRancourt.

I'll commission an MTO boot with them shortly for the winter.

In the mean time, Rancourt shell cordovan hand sewns:
20170701_135245.jpg

20210227_152202.jpg

Garrister

Reaction score
Obviously they do gorgeous hand sewns, but the 115 is an abomination. Worst last in America.
Please elaborate. My understanding is that the 115 is the same as the Allen Edmonds 511, which has been in the AE catalog for generations. Is this wrong information? I do not have any experience with the 115 last but I am very familiar with the AE 511 and it is a good last for many people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads