• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren Stanton shoes. NOT Purple Label???

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RayRay
Rlpl shoes were made by either Edward green, sassetti or g&g. The seller mentioned in his reply that these shoes were made by stefanobi which isn't part of the rlpl list of makers.

Hopefully I'm right?

I'd try to avoid an argument over makers, for the Italian RL's it'll be very difficult to prove anything. The bottom line is that these never retailed for $1300, not even half that.

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jreigen
I'd try to avoid an argument over makers, for the Italian RL's it'll be very difficult to prove anything. The bottom line is that these never retailed for $1300, not even half that.

Fair point. Hopefully Ralph Lauren can return my email and at least confirm whether the item code on the shoe box is rlpl

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RayRay
Thanks or the reassurance. Will definitely lodge a claim for a refund. I just need some evidence now to add to the refund claim. Anyone have any ideas?
While the listing says "Made in Italy" a few times, at the end of the description, it says, "Made in England," which is also misleading.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
okay, why don't you first define what RLPL is.

wtf are you talking about? RLPL means that an item is branded as Ralph Lauren Purple Label by Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation. These were not. Plain and simple.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jreigen

That's the most important thing. They retailed for $550, and he claimed $1360 or whatever. As other posters have mentioned, it's too difficult to "define" what RLPL is exactly, and to 99% of the population, the fact that these came in a purple box would be reason enough to call them RLPL. The retail price is much more cut and dry.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
You'll see in about 3 months. Leather doesn't age particularly well, which despite all the nice features on the shoe that skinnygoomba just listed, is why I'd agree they're worth around 200-300.

I've had mine for 3 years and wear them sometimes as many as 3 days in a row, they're holding up just fine.

Ray,

I think you're going to have a hard time getting RL to work on this. Honestly if you want to get exactly what you were expecting you should be buying from the RL store, that ensures that you get what you were expecting and of coarse you can make easy returns. For the $600 you spent on these it would have been worth taking a look at what the mansion had to offer.

From the sellers perspective he has a pair of shoes with RL script and purple label shoe bags so even though we know better I think it would be a hard case to prove without a

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bananananana
wtf are you talking about? RLPL means that an item is branded as Ralph Lauren Purple Label by Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation. These were not. Plain and simple.

Precisely. This is black and white, don't let your useless knowledge of prior manufacturers cloud the issue.

mrchapel

Reaction score
Contact the seller. Explain to him your concern, and point him to this thread. Hopefully you can return the shoes and get a refund. That being said, it's a bit naive of you to purchase them just because they were labeled RLPL. Many eBay sellers are clueless to the nuances of the RL brand and sub-brands (although the seller's email seems to signal he has a good understanding of RL, but it seems that in this case he is mistaken). For that sum of money, I would expect some due diligence done on your part (e.g. research the shoe model, etc.). Lesson learned I suppose.

RayRay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
I've had mine for 3 years and wear them sometimes as many as 3 days in a row, they're holding up just fine.

Ray,

I think you're going to have a hard time getting RL to work on this. Honestly if you want to get exactly what you were expecting you should be buying from the RL store, that ensures that you get what you were expecting and of coarse you can make easy returns. For the $600 you spent on these it would have been worth taking a look at what the mansion had to offer.

From the sellers perspective he has a pair of shoes with RL script and purple label shoe bags so even though we know better I think it would be a hard case to prove without a

Thanks for the feedback. I'm located in Sydney, Australia and none of the RL stores here carry any RL leather shoes at all. Hence the reason why I made the purchase/bid on the auction description and the sellers near perfect + feedback.

Guess we all gotta learn some way or another.

knowsnothin

Reaction score
I nominate this thread for the "making a mountain out of a molehill" thread of the year! Why don't you read the eBay listing for the shoes again, this time focusing where it states: "YOUR SATISFACTION IS 100% GUARENTEED!!."

What do you think that term means, other than "send them back if you don't like them?"

So, here's what you should do if you don't like the shoes. Ship them back with tracking so you can show the seller got them.

I assume the seller will be true to his or her word and send you a refund, as you seemingly are not satisfied. If not, PayPal will give you your money back just so long as you can prove they were delivered back to the seller.

Who gives a **** about the msrp being overstated, the shoes not being Purple Label, or anything else. If you don't like them SEND THEM BACK! Problem solved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads