• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ralph Lauren lines, and 'who makes what' - a definitive guide

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Unlined suede chukkas with a crepe sole:
20122413381_696d8bb1ea_z.jpg

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Loake, Sanders, or Cheaney. I'll try to reach out to them to see if these are theirs.

sleepyinsanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined suede chukkas with a crepe sole:

20122413381_696d8bb1ea_z.jpg

I'm guessing C&J. Did RL procure other shoemakers (besides EG and G&G as these are obviously not theirs)?

-- snip--

I stumbled across these old C&J markings (a pair of beat-up Merton loafers) which look somewhat similar, so there's a chance the above might be C&J (I know I speculated the opposite in the past, haha). Are your chukkas very old stock?

Edit: haven't been on SF much, so my apologies if the mystery has already been solved on some other thread :)

Last edited:

dylanh99

Reaction score

I was looking at a used blazer with this label. Also said made in India. Can you guy tell me anything about it? Can't imagine its a high quality piece, but not sure how it compares to the typical Lauren by Ralph Lauren stuff.

Thanks in advance!

dylanh

Last edited:

Alex9427

Reaction score
Any idea who makes rlpl Harrison pants? RL website says made in Italy, but bought the twill pants and the tag says made in Romania. Supplier #11551. Are these Incotex?

Chewco

Reaction score
@Alex9427
Yes, I noticed the same thing as well while purchasing RLPL pants (eaton fit) - they too were made in Romania. Some items are made in Romania. However, business attire (suits, ties, dress shirts, etc) are still made in Italy. I can't speak to the specific reason for that, but you have to keep in mind a few stylized facts:

(1) (Fact:) Corneliani (which makes Polo) opened a factory in Slovenia and moved production of its Polo suits/sport coats from Italy to there. This has brought prices down from +$1,000 to the $850 - $1,000 range for sport coats. (Speculation:) This is to make the brand more 'accessible' to consumers. So to answer your question directly, it might still be Sant'Andrea but in a factory based in Romania.

(2) (Fact:) In the same spirit, RLPL and RLBL are consolidating soon, and RLBL will completely be atomized after that (i.e. no more RLBL). You will begin to see telltale signs of this merger. (Speculation:) For example, "made in Romania" on some items instead of Italy, and some classics will be half-canvased (e.g. the Kent model for sport coats in RLPL). (Fact:) You will also see a lower entry level price for some suits (e.g. $2,995 entry point for suits as opposed to +$3,995 entry).

(3) (Fact:) Ralph Lauren is stepping down as CEO and has chosen the former president of Old Navy (Stefan Larsson) to be his replacement. (Speculation:) expect further brand/quality dilution.

Source(s):
- Ralph Lauren store representatives
- NY Times

Last edited:

Nookitect

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the initial sales start on fall items at RL stores? I know it is right about the time they start bringing their holiday stuff out, usually sometime in October.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a very nice recent Purple Label DB Navy suit here on B&S. Inner tag is stand RLPL Made in Italy. No tell-tale Caruso factory label for example. Any idea who makes current RLPL suits in Italy?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks but the RLPL doesn't have the tell-tale manufacturer's label. It has a purple tag saying it was made for RL. See the pic on the link I posted. I have other St. Andrew's and Caruso garments with their factory labels inside and know what they look like.

I have a Burberry London made in Italy that also has a Burberry label inside and no manufacturer's tag either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads