• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Radar/laser detectors

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Police in California don't seem to have problems with my V1. I was stopped once for an expired registration sticker on my license plate, and the first thing the officer did was gesture to my V1, and say, "Don't worry, you weren't speeding."

--Andre

BP348

Reaction score
I've never heard of the Valentine 1 but it must be a pretty good unit. I'm glad it's saving everyone because I have an officer who lives a few houses down from me and he pretty much told me that if he clocks someone and they have a radar detector then it's an automatic ticket he won't even think about giving a warning. He said that's the way most of the others cops feel as well.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BP348
I've never heard of the Valentine 1 but it must be a pretty good unit. I'm glad it's saving everyone because I have an officer who lives a few houses down from me and he pretty much told me that if he clocks someone and they have a radar detector then it's an automatic ticket he won't even think about giving a warning. He said that's the way most of the others cops feel as well.

So what? The thing is, he has to catch you speeding first. If you have a good radar, and a decent dose of common sense, you'll have your speed reduced down to the speed limit by the time he gets a good reading on you. So, unless the radar is illegal in your state, I don't see what the guy is going to give you a ticket for.

Germanicus

Reaction score
I thought about getting a V1 aswell but they're illegal in Germany and the police are allowed to confiscate and even destroy it, plus it will cost you 75€ and some points. Having seen how good the V1 works I'd definitely recommend it , unfortunately it's almost 600€ over here.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
So what? The thing is, he has to catch you speeding first. If you have a good radar, and a decent dose of common sense, you'll have your speed reduced down to the speed limit by the time he gets a good reading on you. So, unless the radar is illegal in your state, I don't see what the guy is going to give you a ticket for.

+1. If you're so oblivious that you don't hear your radar detector, you have no business driving at any speed.

--Andre

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn

If your speeding your speeding. Cops are not going to pull you over if you have a RD in your windshield. ****, do you know how hard it is to see one anyways when someone is approaching you.

States/canada where its illegal is a differnt story. If your really a cannonballer, then get the k40 hard mounted unit. detectors go in your bumpers/grille and then you get a very discrete dashboard indicator.

turboman808

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jgold47
If your speeding your speeding. Cops are not going to pull you over if you have a RD in your windshield. ****, do you know how hard it is to see one anyways when someone is approaching you.

States/canada where its illegal is a differnt story. If your really a cannonballer, then get the k40 hard mounted unit. detectors go in your bumpers/grille and then you get a very discrete dashboard indicator.

I have seen alot of bad reviews for the K40 system. It looks really nice though. Your gonna spend a ton of money on it and it will only work with the one car(i have 3 looking for a 4th). This kind of technology changes and hard wiring any electronic gadget IMO is a bad idea.

I am gonna go ahead and hard wire laser blinders into 2 of my sports cars in the next few month. I have seen where people have suctioned cupped these into the windows but I doubt it works very well.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by turboman808
I have seen alot of bad reviews for the K40 system. It looks really nice though. Your gonna spend a ton of money on it and it will only work with the one car(i have 3 looking for a 4th). This kind of technology changes and hard wiring any electronic gadget IMO is a bad idea.

I am gonna go ahead and hard wire laser blinders into 2 of my sports cars in the next few month. I have seen where people have suctioned cupped these into the windows but I doubt it works very well.

I have been looking into the K40 but it is way out of my price range. I cant justify buying a $1500 system when Im not even all that much of a speeder. Maybe if I had a porsche or Lambo, but I dont think it will suit my 4runner or a civic/mini (soon to buy)... hahaha

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shameless plug... I've got a NIB K40 RD850 I'm willing to let go for $125 ($300 retail). It's the same technology as the hard wire unit but portable. To make a long story short, a friend works at the plant where they make K40 and she donated one to a charity raffle that I ended up winning. I've run a V1 for years and love it, so I'm not to going change now. Having just had a rather lively debate with some friends (her husband and my other friends), they swear by the RD850 and one (speed freak) was a devoted V1 user for years, tried the Passport 9500, and currently uses the RD850. His rationale is that the K40 (and Passport also) totally eliminates false signals while picking up "real" ones. Whatever...this is already starting to sound too much like a sales pitch
blush.gif
. I'm sticking with my trusty V1 so if anyone wants the K40...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads